• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Dec 26 it happens

It seems surreal. Years of back and forth and I’m doing it. Need support getting thru liquid diet. Day 4 was horrendous and day 5 a bit better
We all struggle with it. The holiday season has completely lost any sacred meaning. It's all about food. Stuff you'd never make any other time of the year lands on the table pretending to be a reward for something, though no one seems to be doing anything good enough to be rewarded.

The timing of your liquid diet is going to make this very hard for you. Ask your medical team for support. Get as much support as you can. Be;ive me when I tell you, we're ALL 100 PERCENT BEHIND YOU RIGHT NOW! Going through the liquid diet in the holiday season has to be the worst idea on earth.

You have an extra dose of my personal support. I feel ya.

I start my liquid diet on Wednesday, feeling a bit sorry for myself about drinking protein shakes for christmas dinner. I got some pumpkin spice protein shakes and I'm going to freeze one to be like ice cream, and finding sugar free cranberry flavored jello, We'll see how that goes?
Reallypurple has it gotten better now? I'm scheduling myself for very few hours of work but not sure if it will help keep me busy or if I won't be able to be fully present?

Lily and Diane I really appreciate your answers. Like light in a storm. It got a bit better on day 5 so I was hoping I was over the worst hump. but day 6 got bad again. at first it was the literal hunger pain. like it really hurt. not just discomfort. now I'm just depressed. and worried I'm not ready for surgery.
Just do your best. I really recommend affirmations, constantly repeated in your head silently. One of mine was "Everything I eat turns to health and beauty." Another was "I get more beautiful every day" and "I get more healthy every day." Don't beat up on yourself, but don't pretend this new way of eating doesn't make you sad, either. Losing junk food or overeating is like a friend suddenly dying. You can't prepare for it. Just sink into it and cry and write in your journal and remember how beautiful it was. Food IS beautiful. It's the overeating and bingeing that are ugly and evil.

This will sound silly, but when I was growing up, men had pictures/calendars/foldouts of naked women all over their walls. They were never going to meet these women. These women didn't even know they were alive. They took their clothes off for money. It didn't add any value to their lives or self-esteem. It was, in a way, just one more way to humiliate and subjugate women.

I could go on a genuine feminist rant here, but the other side of that coin is that everyone is human and everyone makes mistakes. You are so far from being perfect, it's ridiculous.

Try to focus on all the good things about you. Even better, stop the self-pity and go volunteer at a homeless shelter or food bank and see how much so many people suffer who DON'T have your strength and tools.

It might take you a year or two to achieve your goal. What's that in the span of a lifetime? It's like a second ticking by on a clock.

You've been trained to be negative. Now, train yourself to be positive.

Read "The Only Diet There Is," a book I've recommended a million times. It's "a diet from negative thinking." It REALLY HELPS.

No matter what happens you are going to be fine. Focus on THAT.

Just do your best. I really recommend affirmations, constantly repeated in your head silently. One of mine was "Everything I eat turns to health and beauty." Another was "I get more beautiful every day" and "I get more healthy every day." Don't beat up on yourself, but don't pretend this new way of eating doesn't make you sad, either. Losing junk food or overeating is like a friend suddenly dying. You can't prepare for it. Just sink into it and cry and write in your journal and remember how beautiful it was. Food IS beautiful. It's the overeating and bingeing that are ugly and evil.

This will sound silly, but when I was growing up, men had pictures/calendars/foldouts of naked women all over their walls. They were never going to meet these women. These women didn't even know they were alive. They took their clothes off for money. It didn't add any value to their lives or self-esteem. It was, in a way, just one more way to humiliate and subjugate women.

I could go on a genuine feminist rant here, but the other side of that coin is that everyone is human and everyone makes mistakes. You are so far from being perfect, it's ridiculous.

Try to focus on all the good things about you. Even better, stop the self-pity and go volunteer at a homeless shelter or food bank and see how much so many people suffer who DON'T have your strength and tools.

It might take you a year or two to achieve your goal. What's that in the span of a lifetime? It's like a second ticking by on a clock.

Read "The Only Diet There Is," a book I've recommended a million times. It's "a diet from negative thinking." It REALLY HELPS.

Thank you so much.

Funny thing. I have that book already. Guess I'll pull it out and look at it.

You are
How are you doing now?
So kind of you. MUCH better. I'm already adjusting so much. Thankfully they told me I could eat 3 oz of meat. The full liquid for two weeks is cruel if you ask me. NO ONE I've talked to had to do that. But water under the bridge. I've learned to call right away if I'm struggling that much. Just a bit of meat helped me tremendously. So I'm down to 4 days to surgery. My mood is better. My AA friend told me I was detoxing and it takes about a week. I'm still pretty tired, but that's OK. It's worth it. I also started taking Wellbutrin just to ward off depression with such a big change. I was doing OK off meds but since I can get depressed during really stressful times, I'm being proactive. I can wean off it down the line once I know I'm thru the initial time. WHEW. Thank you for your caring. It's amazing how much these touch points help.

You are

So kind of you. MUCH better. I'm already adjusting so much. Thankfully they told me I could eat 3 oz of meat. The full liquid for two weeks is cruel if you ask me. NO ONE I've talked to had to do that. But water under the bridge. I've learned to call right away if I'm struggling that much. Just a bit of meat helped me tremendously. So I'm down to 4 days to surgery. My mood is better. My AA friend told me I was detoxing and it takes about a week. I'm still pretty tired, but that's OK. It's worth it. I also started taking Wellbutrin just to ward off depression with such a big change. I was doing OK off meds but since I can get depressed during really stressful times, I'm being proactive. I can wean off it down the line once I know I'm thru the initial time. WHEW. Thank you for your caring. It's amazing how much these touch points help.
Best of luck! You got this

Back