• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Decisions Decisions

biglm

Hi everyone, I am in a real dilemma and am hoping that someone out there who has had or is currently in a similar situation can help. I am well into the process for the sleeve. I just had my appointment with my surgeon today and he told me that he would not be able to do the surgery because I have a hiatal hernia and to much of my stomach is pushing up and having the sleeve and fixing the hernia is not ideal. However fixing the hernia and having gastric bypass at the same time is an option or just fixing the hernia and waiting 6 months and than have whatever surgery I want.

In 2005 I had lap band and had a real good run for 18 years. I went in at 345 lbs and got down to 215 and maintained that weight for years. Than my band slipped and was taken out at the surgeon’s recommendation. So since having the band removed I have gained a significant amount of weight back. I’m not scared of surgery but I am scared of the possible long term risks that can happen. I never had nor till this day at 41 have had any health problems but just being overweight. I am asking for any input in this matter.

A lot of people share your multiple diagnoses and have to decide how and when to schedule surgery.

If you feel comfortable, just do what your surgeon suggests. If you don't, get a second opinion.

A hernia really screws things up because it pokes through the spaces of multiple organs. I would only get advice on this subject from a medical professional.`

I had sleeve surgery in January. During surgery they found I had a major hiatal hernia, but the surgeon was able to repair it and do the sleeve surgery.
Perhaps you might want to seek a second opinion(?) from a different surgeon and check out what options you may have.

I had sleeve surgery in January. During surgery they found I had a major hiatal hernia, but the surgeon was able to repair it and do the sleeve surgery.
Perhaps you might want to seek a second opinion(?) from a different surgeon and check out what options you may have.
Do you know how big the hernia was and are you having any heartburn/reflux at all?

I don't. I only heard it was a "major hiatal hernia" after my surgery was done. It was news to me but my surgeon was able to tackle it at the same time as the sleeve. He told me that my recover may take a little longer, and that was about it. And I don't experience any heartburn or reflux.

I don't. I only heard it was a "major hiatal hernia" after my surgery was done. It was news to me but my surgeon was able to tackle it at the same time as the sleeve. He told me that my recover may take a little longer, and that was about it. And I don't experience any heartburn or reflux.
Forgot to ask. Did you experience any heartburn or reflux before surgery?

Hi Karen you poor thing!! I hope you are recovering well after your surgery. I'm not even sure how many hiatal hernias I had but my surgery was average length, 90 minutes, and the surgeon indicated he had no issues with removing it in addition to completing the sleeve surgery.

I had a large hiatal hernia (stomach pushing up to the other side of my diaphragm) that was repaired when I had the gastric bypass. I had significant heartburn prior to surgery, so my surgeon recommended the bypass, as heartburn can develop or worsen after a sleeve. I was 253#, now down to 165# eight months out. The surgery went very well and I couldn’t be happier. I believe the research says you typically have a greater amount of weight loss, as well as higher incidence of keeping it off with the bypass versus the sleeve, which is why my surgeon and I chose that for me. It would be worth having the discussion to switch to bypass, but that is between you and your surgeon.

I too was going to have a sleeve but my doctor found a hiatal hernia during the endoscopy and told me that he was changing the procedure to a mini bypass and repair of the hernia. He said that it would add an hour to the procedure but it was the only choice. I am good with it.

I would go with the bypass - post lap-band conversion to sleeve has a much higher rate of GERD and recurring hernia than a bypass does. I have had all three surgeries because of this. The bypass was not even for weight loss, just because I did not have the anatomy left after sleeve to get the easy fix for the extreme GERD that the sleeve created.

Back