• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Denied cash payment

It seems to make sense from a business perspective because if a person has low income insurance, how are they going to get the amount of cash needed to pay all of the medical bills.
My mother wants to pay for the surgery for me and she would pay it directly to the hospital. I just felt like it was unfair to have a blanket policy and not care to understand the details of my personal case. I'm wondering if it would be a waste of time to appeal?

Only your mother can be involved in this decision. Only the hospital can work out a payment schedule. I've never heard of a hospital being willing to accept payments for a non-life-threatening procedure. This is considered cosmetic surgery, except for certain cases. If they won't accept a payment schedule from your mom, she needs to put it in a savings account and be prepared to pay at the time of surgery.

However, I was given a full scholarship for my surgery in exchange for being in a 7-year study. But I went to a university hospital for my procedure, not a private hospital.

See your hospital's ombudsman and ask if there are alternatives.

Back