• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Depressed

Caree

Hello:
I had surgery in 2012 and was doing great. I lost over 100 lbs, but now no matter what I am eating; I am gaining. I did have my Dr. increase my meds for my Thyroid which takes 3 months to adjust. I have gone from size 14 back to a 1x. I ordered shakes from Bariatriceating.com and hoping to "shrink" my pouch. I am just so depressed and hopeless. I feel like I did before my surgery. Can anyone relate to this??
Caree:(

Hello:
I had surgery in 2012 and was doing great. I lost over 100 lbs, but now no matter what I am eating; I am gaining. I did have my Dr. increase my meds for my Thyroid which takes 3 months to adjust. I have gone from size 14 back to a 1x. I ordered shakes from Bariatriceating.com and hoping to "shrink" my pouch. I am just so depressed and hopeless. I feel like I did before my surgery. Can anyone relate to this??

Try noy to despair! What were you doing different when you lost all your weight? Something has to be different. It could be your thyroid and it will take a little while to adjust the dosage. Try to stay positive. Drink your fluids to wash your fat out of your body. Eat enough protein to maintain your muscles while the fat melts away. Eat slowly so your body has time to tell you when your full.

Good luck!

Cheyenne

I echo Cheyenne's advice. You can do this! 63 pounds is amazing! Before the surgery, if someone told you that you'd weigh 63 pounds less, you would have been stoked! I have read about the 5 day pouch test, and I think that's a good strategy. Watch your carbs and fat, take in plenty of fluids and protein, chew our food completely, and exercise.
Good luck,
Rebecca

Hello:
I can relate to your feelings. I am also gaining weight since I started eating solid foods again. I am at a loss as to what to do. But I think you should call your doctor and ask for help. I need help also. But I think I need a therapist.

Hello:
Hi Caree. Just remember that you're amazing at any weight. Gaining and losing weight is something that is noticeable so we focus on that and feel good when we're losing and like losers when we're gaining. Be aware of other things going on, you're environment, etc. Gaining weight may be a symptom of things that are out of balance in your life. Instead of focusing on your weight gain as a negative, look at it as a your body asking you to take better care of yourself emotionally, physically, psychologically and spiritually. Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D supplements might help also. I wish I had answers for you. I'm learning to live with Depression/Anxiety. It's not just about losing weight- sometimes it's about losing self defeating thoughts and letting go of negativity that's holding us back from being the best we can be. Good luck with everything. It's one day at a time. Don't beat yourself up, surround yourself with people/things that build you up.Take care, Hope

Back