• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Depressed?

Bill S.

I don’t know how to put this but I guess you could say i‘ve been depressed for a couple of weeks now. I guess ,we’ll I know I miss some of the foods I used to enjoy like this past week at a Universal Studios and 3 days of going to Disneyland. My wifes family that came to visit and go with us knew I had the surgery so it was no problem from them . The problem was I missed having a hamburger on a bun and fries instead of eating just a plain burger while everyone else was eating regularly. I missed Disneylands famous corn dogs which I love and there corn chowder in a sourdough bowl and the pizza while I ate just a small salad. Missed having steak when we barbecued today . I had yet another plain burger with some grilled pineapple ( I did like that ) and I had some potato chips without any problems. But I’m tired most of all of eating the same things over and over because there is no variety . Also nothing tastes the same either or smells funny and there’s also a bad taste n my mouth during the day and stomach gets sore. Yeah I knew what I was getting into I knew the repucusssions I know I have to live like this and I’m damn glad I’m losing weight. Constantly looking up different ways to eat the things I can eat . I’m picky don’t like chicken or fish. I have had tacos that i like at a Mexican restaurant a couple of times but even those taste different. My normal week of foods are refried beans, chilli,eggs,egg salad,deli meat wrapped around cheese, salads,cottage cheese and yogurt. M not that hungry anymore sometimes skipping a meal or two. I think I already know what im going to hear from everyone but I am kinda reaching out. So not to happy lately and like I said I knew what I was in for .

Bill, how long did you wait before you made the first decision to have weight-loss surgery? How many years was your eating out of control? what were your days like when you could stuff your face with your favorite foods?

you're eating in stages now with the aim of healing your digestive system and preparing it for real food again. When you lose all your weight, you will be able to eat anything you want, and you won't be able to gain weight from it because your pouch is about the size of an egg.

you will savor every bit of that hamburger a year from now, but you won't be able to eat the whole thing. your favorite foods might change, but i'm betting you'll still want them. I really don't remember my taste buds changing after surgery and after a year, i was eating the same food as everyone else.

This is one of the big myths about bariatric surgery, and it's perpetuated by doctors who fear you will binge once again as soon as you make it to your normal diet. DON'T DO IT. Don't buy it and don't work at making it true. It's not true.

Please listen because i want to stress something here and it is very important. Weight loss surgery is not designed to punish you by depriving you of the foods you loved before. You'll still enjoy a few bites of ice cream and a slice of pizza. you'll chew everything until its liquid and get a lot of flavor out of it. You'll go out to restaurant with friends and order a child's portion or order from the Senior menus. Doctors like to make it sound very dire because the are looking at the morbidly obese you and identifying the foods you binge on. So they over warn you.

That's their job but very few bariatric surgeons have actually had the surgery themselves, and they really are not experts on your future eating style.

don't focus on the negatives. just grin and bear it until you can start eating normal people food. You'll find out more about what you can and cannot tolerate. But the irony of surgery is that the food that was trying to kill you before is now your best friend.

How much weight have you lost to date?

Bill, I hear you about eating a very limited variety of food. I'm going through the same thing. I limit even more to keep my blood sugar from going up. I'm going through a bit of a grieving process over not being able to eat as I did before. Good for you for articulating your feelings.
I haven't eaten out yet. I'll be going to lunch with some friends in the next couple weeks.

I am trying as best as I can to prepare myself for this. I love food, I am a good cook, and there are a million drive thru places around my house, so the only thing that will stop me from cooking whatever I want or pulling in for fast food is my own will power. I’m kind of going through a “goodbye for a while” with a lot of foods that I know I won’t be eating for a long time after surgery. Will I be able to eventually? Sure. But for a couple years I am going to revamp the way I think about food, what’s worth eating, and why I am eating it. I’ve already planned on not baking this holiday season, bringing something I know I can eat for potlucks, and arming myself with protein drinks for when I go out to eat. My plan is to drink it in the car before I go into any restaurant, so when I order, I can order small or split a plate with someone I am with. I am honestly nervous about food depression. I just want to try taking steps to avoid it, but I know there will be times when I will be genuinely sad that I am missing out on something.

Bill, I am not eating much of what I want these days either. I look in the mirror and see the benefits I already have received. I have more energy, I have lost 8-10 inches in my waist, I'm not too tired to stay up late (I saw the shows and late night comedy shows on a cruise last week!). I'm missing out on the food portion of life (tough seeing all the tasty food on the ship), but I am not going to give in to temptations and lose all my gains.

I went to a personal trainer for months and got healthier until my knees gave out. All my gains were lost and I am NOT going to do that to my body again. You're strong and can make it through the bad days. Think of the good ones to come.

I am trying as best as I can to prepare myself for this. I love food, I am a good cook, and there are a million drive thru places around my house, so the only thing that will stop me from cooking whatever I want or pulling in for fast food is my own will power. I’m kind of going through a “goodbye for a while” with a lot of foods that I know I won’t be eating for a long time after surgery. Will I be able to eventually? Sure. But for a couple years I am going to revamp the way I think about food, what’s worth eating, and why I am eating it. I’ve already planned on not baking this holiday season, bringing something I know I can eat for potlucks, and arming myself with protein drinks for when I go out to eat. My plan is to drink it in the car before I go into any restaurant, so when I order, I can order small or split a plate with someone I am with. I am honestly nervous about food depression. I just want to try taking steps to avoid it, but I know there will be times when I will be genuinely sad that I am missing out on something.
I'm learning that it's OK to have food depression. It means I am changing. If I allow myself to really feel the feelings, they run through me and out, leaving me calm.

I
I'm learning that it's OK to have food depression. It means I am changing. If I allow myself to really feel the feelings, they run through me and out, leaving me calm.
I love this because it’s remembering that there is light through the dark. I know that’s a little serious, but honestly, what a lot of us have gone through or are going through with our weight is so psychological. We’re depressed so we eat. We eat because we’re depressed. But not indulging and refraining from what we want may cause a temporary depression, but in the end we are so much better physically and mentally. This journey is a test.

Bill this weight loss journey is a marathon , it is not a brisk walk. The marathon training will try to break you and tell you can not do it. But you must push yourself because if you don’t no one else will.
Food is not a giver of happiness this is a quote I repeat to my self over and over during this journey.
Food is to nourish and fuel your body. Sorry to tell but there are no redeeming qualities in a corn dog. But if you want you will have to wait for the time being to allow your body to heal.
Surgery is a trauma and your body and spirit need to heal.
This to shall pass. Be strong and focus on the positive things in your life. Look for something to be grateful for today.
Here are the 11 stages of running a marathon
Excitement

Nervousness

Apprehension

Eagerness

Community

Questioning of Sanity

Defeat

Prayer/Begging

Determination/Willpower

Grit/Toughness

Elation

Bill,

Everyone here has great advice, I'm just here to give you a hug.

I

I love this because it’s remembering that there is light through the dark. I know that’s a little serious, but honestly, what a lot of us have gone through or are going through with our weight is so psychological. We’re depressed so we eat. We eat because we’re depressed. But not indulging and refraining from what we want may cause a temporary depression, but in the end we are so much better physically and mentally. This journey is a test.
It's an brutal cycle, isn't it? Defies logic, yet...

I don’t know how to put this but I guess you could say i‘ve been depressed for a couple of weeks now. I guess ,we’ll I know I miss some of the foods I used to enjoy like this past week at a Universal Studios and 3 days of going to Disneyland. My wifes family that came to visit and go with us knew I had the surgery so it was no problem from them . The problem was I missed having a hamburger on a bun and fries instead of eating just a plain burger while everyone else was eating regularly. I missed Disneylands famous corn dogs which I love and there corn chowder in a sourdough bowl and the pizza while I ate just a small salad. Missed having steak when we barbecued today . I had yet another plain burger with some grilled pineapple ( I did like that ) and I had some potato chips without any problems. But I’m tired most of all of eating the same things over and over because there is no variety . Also nothing tastes the same either or smells funny and there’s also a bad taste n my mouth during the day and stomach gets sore. Yeah I knew what I was getting into I knew the repucusssions I know I have to live like this and I’m damn glad I’m losing weight. Constantly looking up different ways to eat the things I can eat . I’m picky don’t like chicken or fish. I have had tacos that i like at a Mexican restaurant a couple of times but even those taste different. My normal week of foods are refried beans, chilli,eggs,egg salad,deli meat wrapped around cheese, salads,cottage cheese and yogurt. M not that hungry anymore sometimes skipping a meal or two. I think I already know what im going to hear from everyone but I am kinda reaching out. So not to happy lately and like I said I knew what I was in for .
I'm so glad that you reached out Bill, almost all of us go through this. As Diane wrote, this denial of your favorite foods is only temporary. I'm almost a year out and at this point will have a taste or small portion of anything that I want. You'll get there, it gets normal again, I promise! My first 6 months were very strict but it also resulted in almost all my weight loss so I wouldn't trade it for anything.

The past few months, I've been eating normally, just way less of whatever it is. I went to lunch with my sister and nieces this weekend since I've been stuck in the house for weeks. The kids wanted Friendly's. I ordered a burger (on a bun) and onion rings. It was a splurge meal for sure, with very little nutritional value but it's what I wanted. Since I kept the bun, I was only able to eat a few bites of the burger but it was good! :) And I had 2 onion rings. My waitress asked if everything was ok when she cleared our plates since mine was barely touched but it really was good, I just couldn't eat much of it. And I didn't feel one bit guilty since it's a once in a blue moon thing. You'll get there!!! Time will fly and you'll be enjoying normal foods again. :)

Sorry late for this post was at the beach with wife’s relatives and barbecue. Anyway Diane my dr. Suggested I get surgery a year ago after a slew of diet failures. I got the ok for the 12 week classes and I was well prepared to get the surgery after the classes and the wait. What I didn’t know was having bad taste in my mouth all the time ,brushing my teeth feeling like I’m going to barf all the time and stomach aches when I’m eating anything even the foods I’m supposed to be eating. I’m really trying my best to eat the right foods and the right amount.Theres times most of the time in fact I don’t know if I’m full or hungry. So i need to try harder and just stick it out longer till I can eat regular again but responsible. Also I like the almost new look I have I’m getting there with looser clothes just wish my stomach would go thinner though instead of starting to hang lower. Even lost a shoe size! And since last June I’ve lost around a total of 84 pounds I think. Now losing only 2 sometimes 3 pounds a week. Don’t know if that’s normal or not. And today at the beach barbecue I had vitamin water zero a skinless hotdog ( no bun ) and some baked beans my wife made from a bariatric cook book so their you go.

What I didn’t know was having bad taste in my mouth all the time ,brushing my teeth feeling like I’m going to barf all the time and stomach aches when I’m eating anything even the foods I’m supposed to be eating.

Hooray, Bill, on losing 84 pounds! That is so freakin awesome.

I know we say this all the time, but your body will normalize when it's ready, and the bad taste will go away, you won't have any nausea and you'll have tons of energy.

The bad taste is something a lot of people experience and there is a therapeutic way to lessen it:

I have both of these brands in my bathroom, as well as the generic form of Scope. It's tedious to use them because you have to wait before you can brush your teeth or use another mouthwash, but these mouthwashes contain a form of industrialized bleach, which you can smell a little, but they WORK.

Not only do they deal with bad breath, they change the flora of the mouth and that helps decrease any bad taste.

I also lost weight in my feet! Crazy, huh? I lost a ring size, too. People will lose weight in different parts of their bodies and it's weird when it happens. You've been so compliant, it's almost scary to read your posts sometimes.

You've consistent lost about 30 pounds a month, and you're still sticking to it. For those of us who are single or don't cook for a family or friends, the weight loss is usually greater, but the important thing for you is that it's been consistent over a LONG time.

Congratulations, as well, on becoming a Bariatric Guru! That's so awesome. You give great advice and share your story honestly and well. You've become a real asset to this group, and you know how much I personally enjoy our raps. Thank you for being here. I'm sure the other men in the group are also even more grateful for your presence. Brotherhood!

I just have one question for you: when are you going to spike your hair? o_O You know I'm joking, but it would be a good look for you, honestly. When you get to your goal with spiked hair, you could look like Sting!

Thanks Diane for the good words of advice! My hair hasn’t started to fall out yet so as long as it’s long it will stay long even though the girl that cuts my hair regularly kinda cut it a little shorter than I like
i forgot to mention, maybe you should see your family doc and ask to be put on omeprazole. When I was having my undiagnosed stomach trouble, my doctor gave me that to take daily. She also gave me a prescription for ondansetron for sudden nausea. Both drugs work spectacularly. I don't think there are any bad side effects, and you can keep your food down. You shouldn't be suffering these after-effects for as long as you've been post-op. Make sure you get the prescription strength, even though you can buy these over the counter with brand names, Prilosec and Zofran. OTC meds are usually not Rx strength and they add other things and god knows who's handling these pills on the production line, you know? Rx is more supervised and spot-checked by the FDA.

and i don't know how you eat, but you get the best results by chewing your food until it liquifies, then swallowing. this is hard to do for a number of reasons, but when I started doin it pre-op, I noticed I ate less. That's gotta be a bonus.

Back