• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Depression

Mmh79

Hi everyone-I am new to the group. I am 3 weeks post op from gastric sleeve surgery. From talking with the clinic therapist and all of the articles and other patient experiences that I’ve read, having depressive symptoms seems to be normal. I just wanted to see how others were feeling around this time. Some days I’m bursting with energy and other days, I just want to stay in bed. The therapist says I should give myself a break...easier said than done! Wondering if/when I’ll feel some normalcy?!

Listen to your therapist and give yourself a break. Remember that all organs are attached to other organs and all nutrition passes through one to get to another. Having this chain of links can make you feel bad all over. Your body is confused at first, so begins a process to make sure digestion remains logical.

I already suffered from major depression, as diagnosed in th DSM-IV at the time. I just let my body rule my mind as I recovered and healed. It was a difficult surrender, so I cried and complained a lot.

Then it got better & I lived happily ever after!!!!

Prince Charming hasn't arrived yet to kiss you awake, to love. So get your tv, magazines, box of tissues and phone and tuck yourself in, as needed. It's YOUR turnto be the one b

Listen to your therapist and give yourself a break. Remember that all organs are attached to other organs and all nutrition passes through one to get to another. Having this chain of links can make you feel bad all over. Your body is confused at first, so begins a process to make sure digestion remains logical.

I already suffered from major depression, as diagnosed in th DSM-IV at the time. I just let my body rule my mind as I recovered and healed. It was a difficult surrender, so I cried and complained a lot.

Then it got better & I lived happily ever after!!!!

Prince Charming hasn't arrived yet to kiss you awake, to love. So get your tv, magazines, box of tissues and phone and tuck yourself in, as needed. It's YOUR turn to be the one being cared for.

It is easier said than done when someone says we need to give ourselves a break, but that could be one reason it’s so important. In my case, I was filled with self doubt and worthlessness for years! I can look back now and see how great I was doing especially when it came to caring for others, but I wasn’t doing enough for myself. I didn’t allow myself the time I needed or credit I deserved, and that definitely contributed to poor eating habits. I didn’t give myself a break because I expected more, but I don’t know why. I’ve really calmed down on attempting perfection, and I can look at myself and say, I am enough. And the plus side is, I believe it even when I am dealing with depression because it is part of me. My whole self, the good and the bad, is all worth it.

I think we should change the golden rule from "Treat others how you wish to be treated" to "Treat yourself as well as you would treat others'. We're always so willing to give others a break. "Oh, YOU'RE trying so hard. It'll happen." "Wow, look at all YOU do." "YOU are going to be fine." But when we talk to ourselves it's usually negative. It's "I could have or should have". 3 weeks post op, you're still healing; you're not eating so you're weak, exhausted and sore. And probably thinking "What have I done?!?" You will actually feel better in a few weeks, when you're actually healed and have started eating. You'll get more energy. start seeing results and overall feeling better. Until then, follow the NEW golden rule.

Just a quick update-I spoke with my mental health provider this morning. She said all of this is normally as all of the bodies hormones are pretty much in chaos! She didn’t want to change any doses right now and to let’s wait and see how my body continues to adjust. On a positive note, I am feeling much better this week (so far, it’s only Tuesday, hahaha). I think I’m still wrapping my head around this is going to be life long process. Thank you all for your support and sharing your own experiences! I’m so happy I have found this group. Hope everyone has a great day :)

Back