• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

did I mention...?

I am scheduled for an upper GI at 9 a.m. and a surgical consultation to talk about that or rule out strictures or other problems at 11:30 on May 24th.

I can't find any posts where I mentioned this, though I feel like I did announce it somewhere. Since no one has mentioned it and I can't find it I'm assuming I forgot.

I am scheduled for an upper GI at 9 a.m. and a surgical consultation to talk about that or rule out strictures or other problems at 11:30 on May 24th.

I can't find any posts where I mentioned this, though I feel like I did announce it somewhere. Since no one has mentioned it and I can't find it I'm assuming I forgot.
Good luck Dianne! I hope it's all good news.

Thank you Brenda. I just made a delicious dinner and sat down to eat a small amount and got four bites into it and had to stop. Now I have to sit here for about an hour until the nausea goes away.

I hope they solve the problem and you heal quickly! Will be thinking of you

I know you mentioned that you were avoiding the testing. I didn't see that you finally scheduled it. It's great news that you are getting the medical attention you need!

Strictures are a sort of spider-webby scarring that happens in your stoma, the opening that your stomach uses to send food into your intestines. If you have them you will have a really hard time getting enough food into your body because the hole isn't there to let it go through. At the same time you feel this uncomfortable fullness in the middle of your abdomen and a lot of nausea and generally a good deal of vomiting as well. The nausea is really intense and last for at least an hour during which time you can't do anything except sit there and wish it would go away. A simple balloon procedure is done in the office if these structures are detected by endoscopy.

but I but I don't know if I have strictures or if something else is happening. I have the classic symptoms of strictures but I am 12 years out from having the surgery and this generally happens to people within the first 6 months following surgery. It can happen though at any time.

I'm pretty nervous about having the endoscopy and also considering the fact that I have been complaining of nausea for at least four years and have been medicated for it, I'm scared of what else it might be.

Oh hell, I'm not nervous. I am terrified.

Strictures are a sort of spider-webby scarring that happens in your stoma, the opening that your stomach uses to send food into your intestines. If you have them you will have a really hard time getting enough food into your body because the hole isn't there to let it go through. At the same time you feel this uncomfortable fullness in the middle of your abdomen and a lot of nausea and generally a good deal of vomiting as well. The nausea is really intense and last for at least an hour during which time you can't do anything except sit there and wish it would go away. A simple balloon procedure is done in the office if these structures are detected by endoscopy.

but I but I don't know if I have strictures or if something else is happening. I have the classic symptoms of strictures but I am 12 years out from having the surgery and this generally happens to people within the first 6 months following surgery. It can happen though at any time.

I'm pretty nervous about having the endoscopy and also considering the fact that I have been complaining of nausea for at least four years and have been medicated for it, I'm scared of what else it might be.

Diane and Fox- you're both up late at night. Don't let your nerves get the best of you!

Are they part of the scarring your body makes? Honestly, they should have listened to you the first year you stated you were having problems. I'm sorry it's been 4 years of uncomfortable nausea.
Strictures are extremely common after bariatric surgery. But I never mentioned nausea to my surgeon in all the annual check-ins we had, nor did I mention it to the research people who were studying me. And my regular doctor doesn't have a depth of knowledge about bariatric surgery though she is just the best doctor I have ever had in my life. Based on my medical history, if I were her I probably would have done the same thing.

When it became a regular part of my life, I actually thought I was becoming lactose intolerant. There were enough times when I would drink milk or eat ice cream, yogurt or cottage cheese, and then become ill. So for two years of the four years that I've been suffering, I did not suspect strictures.

And this will probably horrify you. I was taking 600 mg of ibuprofen twice a day because of extreme pain in my shoulder, which started in October of 2017 until it was replaced in June of 2018, but has been really painful even with physical therapy.

When I saw my doctor couple months ago and said I wanted a referral to a bariatric doctor, she ordered me to stop taking ibuprofen. And we know now that Ibuprofen can cause ulcers. But my metabolic panels are textbook perfect. All liver kidney heart lungs pancreas Etc are well within normal and even better than normal. I also have no pain that I would associate with an ulcer, and I have had an ulcer before.

Here's something ironic though. When I was going through my medical records last night and reading all the bariatric notes, I found that I had been written a post-op prescription for 100 mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day. It had one refill as well. Now if gut doctors know that Ibuprofen can cause ulcers, why was I prescribed that on my fresh little roux-en-y tummy? I'm guessing they didn't know that 12 years ago. My doctor in recent years has made sure to check kidney and liver functions because I was taking ibuprofen.

Confusion reigns.

Strictures are extremely common after bariatric surgery. But I never mentioned nausea to my surgeon in all the annual check-ins we had, nor did I mention it to the research people who were studying me. And my regular doctor doesn't have a depth of knowledge about bariatric surgery though she is just the best doctor I have ever had in my life. Based on my medical history, if I were her I probably would have done the same thing.

When it became a regular part of my life, I actually thought I was becoming lactose intolerant. There were enough times when I would drink milk or eat ice cream, yogurt or cottage cheese, and then become ill. So for two years of the four years that I've been suffering, I did not suspect strictures.

And this will probably horrify you. I was taking 600 mg of ibuprofen twice a day because of extreme pain in my shoulder, which started in October of 2017 until it was replaced in June of 2018, but has been really painful even with physical therapy.

When I saw my doctor couple months ago and said I wanted a referral to a bariatric doctor, she ordered me to stop taking ibuprofen. And we know now that Ibuprofen can cause ulcers. But my metabolic panels are textbook perfect. All liver kidney heart lungs pancreas Etc are well within normal and even better than normal. I also have no pain that I would associate with an ulcer, and I have had an ulcer before.

Here's something ironic though. When I was going through my medical records last night and reading all the bariatric notes, I found that I had been written a post-op prescription for 100 mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day. It had one refill as well. Now if gut doctors know that Ibuprofen can cause ulcers, why was I prescribed that on my fresh little roux-en-y tummy? I'm guessing they didn't know that 12 years ago. My doctor in recent years has made sure to check kidney and liver functions because I was taking ibuprofen.

Confusion reigns.
Ugh, so sorry that the doctors prescribed ibuprofen back then. Totally frustrating.

I have had some same type of questions, when I had cancer. There were many questions that there were no answers f or. Currently I believe it has transgressed into better patient communication. I find it amazing how medical continues to evolve and gain different perspectives.

Actually, I take ibuprofen, for tendonitis in my left thumb and bone on bone in my right. So far it's the one med that helps. I am on other pain medications but they don't touch my thumbs. However, any type of procedure I've gone thru they ask if I take it. They mention it can affect your healing, cause bleeding and more. The odd thing to me, is, a few years ago they would mention it to you. But not tell you why it was bad, lol. Like, this is bad for you so do as I say. Luckily you are fine in this aea.

You had mentioned about you gi to me and they found nothing but I never knew about the other appointment how are you doing since. Did they find out what was going on. I know I seen another post that you are in real bad pain. I wish these problems would be figured out.

Diane after all you have been through I'd be terrified to! But this to hopefully solve or get an idea what it is. You'll have consious sedation and won't even know what they did after it's done, thankfully. You are a trooper! My money is on you!!

Thank you Redy. I'm going to have a lot of anxiety waiting for my endoscopy date to arrive. He can't see me until July 9th, almost as far out as MamaBear's surgery. But thank you so much for your support!

Back