• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Diet/food tweak

A pretty average caloric progression for most patients is 800 or fewer for the first couple of months, generally 1100 or fewer up to 6 months, and usually about 1500 ish at a year post op. It's going to vary from person to person depending on several factors, but these amounts are all lower than a person's basal metabolic rate and will lead to fat loss. If you go too much below that your body will slow it's metabolism and weight loss down instead of burning it off.

I don't count calories at all any more, but I do monitor my protein intake. I truly believe that finding the right foods for you personally is more important that exactly how many calories you consume. I believe we need to find the foods that your body metabolizes the best and what doesn't trigger glycemic or insulin responses, which lead to fat storage. There is no one universal diet for every person, so we should do a little experimentation to see what works best, especially several months after surgery.

How do you mix the protein with something hot? I want to try it with hot coco. I do love coffee but am lucky if I can do a couple a week as it just aggravates the acid issues.

I've been drinking cold brew coffee because the cold brewing process is less acidic and easier on the stomach. You can make your own with cold water and ground coffee...and a lot of time. While I heat my coffee in the micro, I take a little bit (2T) of creamer or milk and mix in the GenePro into it until dissolved. The beauty of GenePro is the scoop is tiny so it's not like you'll end up with paste! After the protein powder is mixed in, you can add it to hot coffee (or soup or cocoa). Coffee ends up being one of my protein "shakes" of the day! Win/Win!

Not sure if the images help to show the tininess of the scoop but I found it a fabulous surprise.

Thanks Lisa! I haven't used Genepro but would like to try it and put it in my creamer too. On this very cold and blustery snow day here in NY I'm looking at my cold breakfast shake and thinking I wish I had Lisa's coffee!! Oh and I love your new picture too, you look great!

I tried the reduced fat hot coco today. I didnt get to try adding protein as I was at work and its a very small office with just a microwave and a coffee maker. However I need to figure a way to do it as my office is freezing so I usually need a hot drink midway through my day to warm up my body.

I have tried a salad a couple of times in the past 2 weeks but both times the lettuce did not sit well so I backed that off for now.

I noticed you said you eat broccoli - omit lettuce from the salad - use raw or steamed and cooled shredded broccoli in stead.

Lettuce is just a filler in my opinion. Eat a veggie that gives some protein - broccoli - cabbage - tomatoes - cabbage - spinach. I can make and eat a salad with cucumbers - tomatoes - broccoli throw in some nuts - cheese - and it has a bit more "value" to it. I don't do lettuce at all.

Try different variations on what you're eating. I have a premiere protein shake for breakfast. I put it in the blender with a packet or 2 of chocolate carnation instant breakfast - 1 cup of milk - and ice cubes and blend. With 1 packet its 46g of protein. With 2 packets its 54g of protein. You could also add a scoop of protein powder. Find what works for you.

It's really amazing tracking your food - it really can open your eyes! I think everyone should track their food.

Either my body decided to kick back in gear or the tracking to keep to strict calorie/protein/water worked because this week I dropped 4 pounds. Big difference from the 1/2-1 pound i was before.

I am officially in the 180's. My goal is to get between 150-160. Doctor recommendations is less to be considered "healthy" but anything under 150 and I look sickly.

I have tried a salad a couple of times in the past 2 weeks but both times the lettuce did not sit well so I backed that off for now.

I noticed you said you eat broccoli - omit lettuce from the salad - use raw or steamed and cooled shredded broccoli in stead.

Lettuce is just a filler in my opinion. Eat a veggie that gives some protein - broccoli - cabbage - tomatoes - cabbage - spinach. I can make and eat a salad with cucumbers - tomatoes - broccoli throw in some nuts - cheese - and it has a bit more "value" to it. I don't do lettuce at all.

Try different variations on what you're eating. I have a premiere protein shake for breakfast. I put it in the blender with a packet or 2 of chocolate carnation instant breakfast - 1 cup of milk - and ice cubes and blend. With 1 packet its 46g of protein. With 2 packets its 54g of protein. You could also add a scoop of protein powder. Find what works for you.

It's really amazing tracking your food - it really can open your eyes! I think everyone should track their food.

I tried salad again this week and it went ok. No issues I've last time. Typically there is very little lettuce in my salad its mostly meat and cheese. I am really weird about certian foods mixing but I will have to try. I do use green leaf or romaine lettuce so there is at least a little nutrition in it.

I went to Sam's Club the other day to get my Christmas food and also bought cucumbers and watermellon. Had the watermelon tonight and even though it lacked flavor it was still heaven. I will try cucumbers tomorrow... I hope they go well as I LOVE THEM and my neighbor does a garden every year and I live of their cucs.

I also bought the light and fit greek yogurt. Aside from the vanilla coconut flavor the texture is amazing and probs my best brand so far. Usually the texture and smell of greek yogurt makes me gag. I had a old coworker that ate greek yogurt everyday and I would make her take the empty container out of our work area as the smell would get to me.

Back