• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Dietician expectations

MANDY2910

I have an appointment with a dietician ahead of my consultation. The last time I saw a dietician she was a real bear and basically made me feel like a cow. I will be seeing someone else this time that is affiliated with the weight loss clinic. I guess I am just wondering what exactly they are wanting from me and what to expect since I am not going in for general diet purposes, but to start prepping for WLS. Any stories or tips for me?

It's a real joy that you're seeing a dietician up front. You'll probably get hand-outs to read, but for the first two years or so, you need to focus on protein and eating small portions. Ask about supplements, as well. Knowing I was well-covered by supplements made me feel relaxed. Before t

Attachments

• 20210124_120216.jpg
    20210124_120216.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 36
Both of my dietician apts. were with the WLS team.

My first one was going over every day life as it was at that time. The things I ate, the calories I ate, etc. She gave me suggestions for a swap of some of the things I ate.
Most importantly she gave me a set calorie range to start with PRE OP just to get in the habit of tracking food and counting calories. I didn't need to count or monitor macros, only calories. Nothing extreme either, not for massive weight loss, mine was 2000-2200 calories a day and I still lost 26 lbs during the preop process. (I am 6ft tall)

My second appointment was focused more on after surgery. We did go over all the changes I made preop but briefly because as she said "I seem to have the hang of it". We talked about the very low calorie diet after surgery but once I hit maintenance stage I would likely be on a "males calorie range" because of my height alone. She explained it varies between patients but I would likely need to be around 1500-2000 calories to maintain depending on my exercise levels. We talked about how after surgery I would start paying more attention to macros, and eating healthy nutrient dense food as my body would not be absorbing foods and nutrients the same. She explained eating regularly throughout the day needs to be the new normal. She emailed me recipes for each stage of post op diet.

She explained that there is a nutritionist that I would start seeing (I already knew that although, I really don't know the difference between a dietician and a nutritionist.) after surgery who would help me keep on track and answer any food related questions I may have.

She was SO helpful, and informative.

I hope you have better success at this appointment and feel more comfortable with your new dietician!! Good luck, you're getting close!

Last edited:
Okay, I was also wondering the difference between a dietician and a nutritionist. Turns out a dietician is highly qualified and certified. A nutritionist is not.

“While anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, the term “dietitian” is tightly regulated. Dietitians are officially credentialed by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. You can’t call yourself a dietitian without formal training, supervised work hours in the field, and continued education to maintain your license and credentials, among other requirements.”

I think K covered it very well. They'll try to help you make positive changes slowly pre-op so you're ready for your post op life. Hopefully, you'll see this person more than once pre-op and several times post op. My program allows for free monthly visits for 2 years after WLS so you can get tips on maintaining and just get any new information that is out there on diet and nutrition after WLS. Good luck.

Okay, I was also wondering the difference between a dietician and a nutritionist. Turns out a dietician is highly qualified and certified. A nutritionist is not.

“While anyone can call themselves a nutritionist, the term “dietitian” is tightly regulated. Dietitians are officially credentialed by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. You can’t call yourself a dietitian without formal training, supervised work hours in the field, and continued education to maintain your license and credentials, among other requirements.”

That doesn't mean they are less qualified. I see a functional nutritionist now. I have received way more info and helpful input from her in 3-4 sessions then I did in the 18 months with the dietician

Last edited:
That's too bad about like of info from your dietician. I love my main dietician. She answers or looks up any questions I had. I had to see her monthly for 6 months. I believe I have unlimited visits after. Great source of info. Her partner is ok, but she's just easier to talk to and doesn't act like any question is wrong.

My appointment went well with the nutritionist. I can’t gain but I’m not supposed to lose until pre-op diet. She dissected my diet and asked lots of questions. She gave me a book and workbook on Intuitive Eating that I have to complete for my program before I can be scheduled for surgery. Meet the surgeon for the first time Wednesday, so fingers crossed!

My appointment went well with the nutritionist. I can’t gain but I’m not supposed to lose until pre-op diet. She dissected my diet and asked lots of questions. She gave me a book and workbook on Intuitive Eating that I have to complete for my program before I can be scheduled for surgery. Meet the surgeon for the first time Wednesday, so fingers crossed!
That's great news! Did you like her? Did she listen well and treat you with respect? I really liked mine because she was so warm but also realistic about food and my lifestyle!

My bariatric team came with dietician presurgery. I was given a bubble diet before surgery. I never felt judged and felt they were so supportive. Losing weight before surgery was not a problem since I was 327 at my highest weight. I was 274 at surgery date. I am not under 200 yet but I am close. I have a phone appt with the VA Dr. video visit on the 31 for weight loss progress per request I just feel followup is important. Helps me feel accountable. I am gonna weigh in that morning at home. I am hoping I will break the under 200.

Last edited:
That's great news! Did you like her? Did she listen well and treat you with respect? I really liked mine because she was so warm but also realistic about food and my lifestyle!
She was very nice and non-judgmental. She was full of information and listened to my struggles, not just with food but with my my day to day life. I was very impressed. I will have 1 more appointment with her before surgery is what she says just to go over the pre-op diet and to make sure I finished my workbook, etc. I was very relieved

She was very nice and non-judgmental. She was full of information and listened to my struggles, not just with food but with my my day to day life. I was very impressed. I will have 1 more appointment with her before surgery is what she says just to go over the pre-op diet and to make sure I finished my workbook, etc. I was very relieved
That's great! So glad you meshed well too!

My bariatric team came with dietician presurgery. I was given a bubble diet before surgery. I never felt judged and felt they were so supportive. Losing weight before surgery was not a problem since I was 327 at my highest weight. I was 274 at surgery date. I am not under 200 yet but I am close. I have a phone appt with the VA Dr. video visit on the 31 for weight loss progress per request I just feel followup is important. Helps me feel accountable. I am gonna weigh in that morning at home. I am hoping I will break the under 200.
That is amazing Roni! You are right about follow up and accountability.

I have an appointment with a dietician ahead of my consultation. The last time I saw a dietician she was a real bear and basically made me feel like a cow. I will be seeing someone else this time that is affiliated with the weight loss clinic. I guess I am just wondering what exactly they are wanting from me and what to expect since I am not going in for general diet purposes, but to start prepping for WLS. Any stories or tips for me?

It sucks that you had an insensitive dietitian the first time through. It can really turn a person off from trying to get help. So far all of the people I have worked with have been awesome, non judgmental and very supportive.

There are lots and lots of pre surgery appointments and requirements for my insurance and weight loss doctor. Complete medical work up, chest x-ray, mammogram, pap-smear, colonoscopy, psych evaluation, sleep apnea test, ten million blood draws, exercise classes, nutrition classes, and several dietician appointments.

They have given me insights on how the macro and micro nutrients work, how to assess my eating habits, and lots of tools to help with this life style change. Every situation is different but you are not alone they are there to help!

Good Luck!

They have given me insights on how the macro and micro nutrients work, how to assess my eating habits, and lots of tools to help with this life style change.

Nana, I would love to read a lengthy post from you explaining these concepts. I don't know anything about macro or micronutrients so I'm especially interested in that. Until today I hadn't ever even heard that term. Anyway it would be great if you could expand on what you wrote. Tia

Nana, I would love to read a lengthy post from you explaining these concepts. I don't know anything about macro or micronutrients so I'm especially interested in that. Until today I hadn't ever even heard that term. Anyway it would be great if you could expand on what you wrote. Tia
I agree. I know nothing about macro/micronutrients and would love to hear more about them.

I agree. I know nothing about macro/micronutrients and would love to hear more about them.
There was a book in the 80’s called fit for life. It was all about macro and micro nutrition. It is especially geared around food combining. Examples meat and veggies or starch and veggies but not meat and starches. It has some very awesome recipes including what I believe was the first fruit smoothie recipe. Very important fact it never had dairy in it.

I'm so sorry for not getting back sooner, I don't log on very often. The macro nutrients are the big three; Protein, Fat and Carbohydrates with the different types of fat and carbohydrates. The micro nutrients are your vitamins and minerals and how they work together.

Most of the info that she gave me was summed up later in the two on line nutrition classes that I was required to take. Here are the links to the videos (Sparrow is the hospital that my bariatrics doctor belongs to.)

This is super awesome because I have been trying to find one of the charts in the second class about eating triggers and just now found that I can print it from class itself. The one that I think will help me at home a lot is the flow chart "Am I Hungry or Do I Need Something Else". I want to post that on the refrigerator and the snack cupboard to help me stop and think about what I am doing and why.

Back