• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

DIFFERENT SURGERIES

I started with a band... not a good option, and actually most reputable surgeons won't even do a band anymore. Converted to sleeve two years later, and was not told about the very high incidence of reflux with sleeve. So, after a long struggle with that, finally had conversion to bypass a few months ago. I wish I had done the bypass from the start. So much better than either of the prior surgeries. I did not even really consider DS or any other options for the conversions - at that point my BMI was not high enough to warrant a more drastic surgery, and the conversions were not for weight loss, they were for complications to the prior.

I had RYGB, which was and is the gold standard of bariatric surgery. It's the real bypass, and it is the one that has been perfected over the last 50 years. The sleeve wasn't even available at the time I had surgery, nor was the duodenal switch. The Lap-Band and other similar procedures were available but I just knew that wasn't going to work for me. I had an endoscopy in July of this year and 12 years later, my pouch is still the same size. My body adapted to my new stomach and vice versa and everything just work perfectly for me. I might consider the duodenal switch if I were doing it today, but why reinvent the wheel? Like I said, this is the gold standard by which all other bariatric procedures are measured. I'm pretty sure that if I had had the sleeve, it would have failed. It's just not the same kind of biological alteration. But for some people the sleeve works great.

I started with a band... not a good option, and actually most reputable surgeons won't even do a band anymore. Converted to sleeve two years later, and was not told about the very high incidence of reflux with sleeve. So, after a long struggle with that, finally had conversion to bypass a few months ago. I wish I had done the bypass from the start. So much better than either of the prior surgeries. I did not even really consider DS or any other options for the conversions - at that point my BMI was not high enough to warrant a more drastic surgery, and the conversions were not for weight loss, they were for complications to the prior.

Sorry you had to go through 3, but glad something was done and you're happy now!

I'm curious as to what surgeries y'all had and why you chose the one you did.
I had the RNY 10 weeks ago. When I started the process of looking into the different surgeries, I was drawn to it from the beginning, but I was so nervous and worried about dumping syndrome. I was ready to switch to a sleeve, but when I received the approval from my insurance company for the RNY, I had a feeling wash over me like it was the right thing. So I stuck with my first choice. I was only considering changing because I realized I was worried about not being able to eat the things I used to love - which contained so much sugar! In my head I knew that if I had the sleeve I would have more opportunity to not stick with my new way of living. I am so grateful I was able to work it all out and see why I was wanting the sleeve versus the RNY. My bad eating habits wanted the chance to come back but I shut down that voice and went with what I knew I needed. Now I don't regret the decision at all. If I need something sweet, I turn to fruit or every once in a while a sugar free cookie.

I had the RNY 10 weeks ago. When I started the process of looking into the different surgeries, I was drawn to it from the beginning, but I was so nervous and worried about dumping syndrome. I was ready to switch to a sleeve, but when I received the approval from my insurance company for the RNY, I had a feeling wash over me like it was the right thing. So I stuck with my first choice. I was only considering changing because I realized I was worried about not being able to eat the things I used to love - which contained so much sugar! In my head I knew that if I had the sleeve I would have more opportunity to not stick with my new way of living. I am so grateful I was able to work it all out and see why I was wanting the sleeve versus the RNY. My bad eating habits wanted the chance to come back but I shut down that voice and went with what I knew I needed. Now I don't regret the decision at all. If I need something sweet, I turn to fruit or every once in a while a sugar free cookie.

That's awesome. CONGRATULATIONS

Back