• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Discouraged

I had my surgery August 8,2012. Due to problems with leakage from stitches coming undone, I had a longer recoup time. I was really loosing good until January 2013, I almost lost my son. He was in the hospital for a month in a coma. One thing after another , Life happened as they say. Now I lost my Mother in November, this has been really hard. Long story short, I still have not lost a 100 pounds, I was from 290 to 213 in November. Now, I'm up again. I got to where I couldn't stomach the protein shakes nor the crystal light. Water seems to upset my stomach after drinking a glass of it. So, I have resorted to drinking coffee and a coke in the evening's. The weather has been so cold, I have to stay wrapped up in the house. So, right now getting out to walk is out of the question. What do you suggest doing to get back on track. I'm sure a lot of mine is out of boredom and emotional. I don't eat a lot. But not loosing either. HELP!! :confused: I'm Sorry, This is a whining post. But this is the way I'm feeling right now. Thanks for Listening.

I had my surgery August 8,2012. Due to problems with leakage from stitches coming undone, I had a longer recoup time. I was really loosing good until January 2013, I almost lost my son. He was in the hospital for a month in a coma. One thing after another , Life happened as they say. Now I lost my Mother in November, this has been really hard. Long story short, I still have not lost a 100 pounds, I was from 290 to 213 in November. Now, I'm up again. I got to where I couldn't stomach the protein shakes nor the crystal light. Water seems to upset my stomach after drinking a glass of it. So, I have resorted to drinking coffee and a coke in the evening's. The weather has been so cold, I have to stay wrapped up in the house. So, right now getting out to walk is out of the question. What do you suggest doing to get back on track. I'm sure a lot of mine is out of boredom and emotional. I don't eat a lot. But not loosing either. HELP!! :confused: I'm Sorry, This is a whining post. But this is the way I'm feeling right now. Thanks for Listening.

Welcome to the Forum!!! We on the forum have also gone through emotional ups and downs. Thats probably the most common reason we needed bariatric surgery. We are like a family that understands each other and we give emotional support to each other in our times of need. You have been through alot the past year. Think of it as a time out and now it's time to start anew. You dont have to drink protein shakes if they make you sick. As a matter of fact my surgeon told me not to drink them anymore after the first 8 weeks. He said it was better to eat food. So it isn't going to hurt you to give them up if you want to. Eat a chunk of chicken breast or any kind of lean meat. Protein is so important for us. Eat some salad or green beans (they are very low cal) or whatever veggie you like. Eat an egg. Eat small amounts at a time. Remember to think of food as fuel, no more no less. We all loved food as our comfort and emotional support. We must divorce ourselves from this thinking. Take up reading, or knitting, sewing or write a book. Join a club or be active on this site or whatever will keep your free time busy and keep you from eating the wrong foods or too much of the right foods. Measure yourself to see your shrinking body as it goes through changing to a smaller size. Rekindle your excitement of the journey to health and weight loss we all are on together. We can all be successful by helping each other achieve our goals. You can do this!!! :)

Cheyenne :cool:

Thank You Cheyenne.

Thank-You Cheyenne for your reply. I think I am so discouraged because 2 other ladies I know that had their surgery around the time I did and has already lost their weight. Of Course, They are about 15 years younger than I am. I will be 65 in August. I didn't know if my age or my Thyroid condition has anything to do with it. Thank-You for Your Response.:)

Thank-You Cheyenne for your reply. I think I am so discouraged because 2 other ladies I know that had their surgery around the time I did and has already lost their weight. Of Course, They are about 15 years younger than I am. I will be 65 in August. I didn't know if my age or my Thyroid condition has anything to do with it. Thank-You for Your Response.:)

Yes, I'm sure age has a lot to do with it. Also maybe the thyroid too. I'm 64yrs and I used to be able to lose weight much easier when I was younger. Lately my weight loss has slowed down, I hit a plateau that lasted for a month recently. Then finally I dropped 7 pounds. Right after surgery I was dropping weight every few days. I did best when I ate salad twice a day with chicken breast broke up in it and an egg for breakfast. However I got to a point where I just couldnt eat salad for a good while. It made me feel sick to think about it. I'm going to try it again to see if I can tolerate it now. Our metabolism plays a big part in how fast we lose, I think. That's an individual thing and I know exercise can help our metabolism burn food better but I have a hard time with my arthritic knees, bone on bone. Try changing your diet around and see if that helps you burn calories faster. Good Luck and wishing you much success!!!

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have had a rough time of it and I understand, but you really need to drop the excuses. Quit drinking cokes and find some exercise that you can do. I am 63, and have a ton of family problems too. It's all in the attitude. So give yourself a break, quit comparing yourself to others, and get back on track.

I am sorry for your suffering. Feel it, be kind to yourself and then treat yourself with kindness. Eating foods that are unhealthy for us is not being kind to ourselves. Try and think of something to be grateful for each day. Believe me I know this can be hard when you are feeling sad. Trying to provide some balance and feeling that we do have power over something can help. This is not easy. It is about changing how we have always reacted. Detox off the sugar, get a clear head and start again. You can do it. We can do it.

Welcome to the forum. First I would like to say I am sorry for your loss. I hope and pray that your son is doing well. You have had a very rough time. Now is the time to get the ball rolling again. Cheyenne has given some excellent advice. You can do this. From reading your post age and your thyroid may be slowing you down but, you can make changes and get things going again. You made the hardest decision already. You made the decision to start your weight loss journey, have your surgery, and start losing weight. You can do this. keep us posted and let us know how things are going for you.

TillieS

Discouraged...laughing my head off...I so understand where you are coming from..water nauseates me too...has since surgery...and everyone tells me I have to exercise..more...and I say to them YOU have to stand before you can walk..and I am to lightheaded to stand for long periods of time...being 100 pounds is not fun! I am wondering how anyone that had the same surgery as I had can ever ever overeat...? I know my surgeon said everyone has a different gut response...I just wish I could enjoy some kind of food..the only ONE that doesn't seem to bother me is watermelon and its out of season right now! Good luck..and don't worry about loosing til it gets warmer so you can exercise again ! good luck...I know this is hard! Believe me I know! abbie

Discouraged...laughing my head off...I so understand where you are coming from..water nauseates me too...has since surgery...and everyone tells me I have to exercise..more...and I say to them YOU have to stand before you can walk..and I am to lightheaded to stand for long periods of time...being 100 pounds is not fun! I am wondering how anyone that had the same surgery as I had can ever ever overeat...? I know my surgeon said everyone has a different gut response...I just wish I could enjoy some kind of food..the only ONE that doesn't seem to bother me is watermelon and its out of season right now! Good luck..and don't worry about loosing til it gets warmer so you can exercise again ! good luck...I know this is hard! Believe me I know! abbie

Just a quick question, Do you still have your gall bladder?

The reason I ask is I was experiencing some major nausea with a tad bit of sub sternal pain that radiated into my back... Mentioned it to my surgeon, he sent me in for a HIDA scan to see what my gallbladder was doing and it was found that my GB had given up the ghost.

It is quiet common for the gallbladder to cease functioning due to rapid weight loss such as we that have had WLS. The gallbladder is not capable of handling a massive amount of fatty waste that occurs during the rapid weight loss.

I had my gallbladder out less than 2 months and a loss of 80+ pounds.

Mpw that it is out I have not had any issue with nausea or pain..

Talk to your surgeon..

Yes my gallbladder has been out since 1996...but I do have liver issues...or I did before the surgery was one of the other reasons I had to have RnY and not the sleeve..I didn't actually have this surgery for "weight loss," I was under the 40 percent bmi...it was the ibuprophen and Celebrex that had ruined my pyloric opening in my stomach...BUT I have always had high liver lab numbers...and although my liver labs are normal for the first time in my life...I still am having the digestive problems I had before the surgery..but you are right....the surgeons I had take the gallbladder out at the time of the surgery by the way...IF you still have it....he said 10 out of 10 will have to go back in and have it done anywaythank you

Back