• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Discouraged

I had the mother load of edema so you are not alone, except with me I actually gained 40 lbs after surgery - it was all fluid. I had some complications and was in the hospital for about 3 weeks. I couldn't fit into my shoes at all and my clothes were tight instead of looser. It was very discouraging and at that point I was pretty much regretting the surgery. Once I started losing and feeling better that all changed. Kind of like having a baby! So hang tight, you will start losing soon!

After surgery, especially a major surgery, our bodies almost go into a trauma recovery mode. Give it time, its still healing and trying to adjust. Make sure you food/water is on track and that you are getting the proper nutrition for the stage your at and it will do its thing when its ready.

After surgery, especially a major surgery, our bodies almost go into a trauma recovery mode. Give it time, its still healing and trying to adjust. Make sure you food/water is on track and that you are getting the proper nutrition for the stage your at and it will do its thing when its ready.

Thank you for your response. I'll try to be patient then. Never was really good at that. Lol

If you are following the guidelines given to you by your bariatric team, you are doing nothing wrong. The first four-six weeks can vary a lot from person to person. I guarantee you, no matter what the scale says during this time, your body is starting to burn fat!! You will lose, stall, lose some more, stall, etc. It's a natural part of the process. The first six weeks, give or take, there is a lot of body fluid fluctuation which can cause rapid weight loss, stalls or a little gain. Everyone is a bit different.

If you are following the guidelines, you are without a doubt in a calorie deficit, you're body will have to turn to fat (and some muscle) for energy. Continue following the guidelines for hydration, protein and moving through the phases. As I said previously, your body is burning fat.

Take body measurements right now, and then retake them every month. No matter what the scale says, you will notice changes in your body composition over time. The scale isn't always the best measure of success, although it is the one we frequently use.

You'll be okay!!

If you are following the guidelines given to you by your bariatric team, you are doing nothing wrong. The first four-six weeks can vary a lot from person to person. I guarantee you, no matter what the scale says during this time, your body is starting to burn fat!! You will lose, stall, lose some more, stall, etc. It's a natural part of the process. The first six weeks, give or take, there is a lot of body fluid fluctuation which can cause rapid weight loss, stalls or a little gain. Everyone is a bit different.

If you are following the guidelines, you are without a doubt in a calorie deficit, you're body will have to turn to fat (and some muscle) for energy. Continue following the guidelines for hydration, protein and moving through the phases. As I said previously, your body is burning fat.

Take body measurements right now, and then retake them every month. No matter what the scale says, you will notice changes in your body composition over time. The scale isn't always the best measure of success, although it is the one we frequently use.

You'll be okay!!

Thank you so much! I needed to hear that.

Back