• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Diverticulitis anyone?

Queenie10

Hi. I am 9 months post op and down 96 lbs. I am thrilled with my post RNY results. The problem is that I had a ct scan last week that confirmed I have developed diverticulitis. As I read up on the condition, I realized this is probably something we are all at risk for given the post bariatric diet guidelines. WebMD says (and other sites concur) that the condition usually is the result of a low fiber diet which stresses the colon leading to severe constipation. Given that we are following a high protein, low carb eating plan, it is easy to see how we can fall into this risk category. I have been struggling with constipation since the surgery and I take 2 Fiber choice and 2 senna tablets daily to try and keep from having this problem. Dehydration is also part of the issue and that has been a problem for me too. At my 6 month visit with the bariatric nutritionist in my program she reviewed my food journal and told me there was not enough fruits and vegetables and that I needed to add some whole grains back into my eating plan. I did, but not a lot, since I am so focused on getting enough protein and avoiding carbs. I wish I had taken her advice more seriously. I am 7 days into the antibiotic regimen to clear up the infection, so I am feeling much better. I feel fine as long as I don't eat or drink anything. But everything I eat or drink causes distress. Cramping, nausea. It is mild enough to be tolerable, but I hope it is not going to be a permanent thing. I do know that now that I have had it once, I will be subject to flare ups and that what I eat will be more important than ever.

I am wondering if any other WLS members out there have had this problem. Maybe we should be working it into some of the post op discussion threads for people to know about when learning how to eat again in the post op phases. I knew that fiber is important in our plan, but had no idea how serious the risk is for not getting enough of it into the diet. I'd love some feed back on this.

Thanks.

Hi,

You are doing great! I have had diverticulosis for years now and occasionally have a flare up. Not since surgery though. I try to eat vegetables and some fruit every day and avoid constipation with a fiber laxative when needed. Lap banders have slightly different problems than bypass patients. I tend to block off higher up and carbs do not nauseate me. It is a common problem especially as we age. It was recommended that I use benefiber as it goes in a liquid and remains clear as opposed to metamucil. Diverticulitis is miserable though. I can empathize with what you are going through. Hope you get better soon. Joy

Queenie10, I too have diverticulitis and had a serious flare-up which put me in the hospital for 6 days last month. I understand your concern about post-op problems but I'm not so sure that fiber is a cure. Since I started on my journey last spring and decided to eat right, getting ready for my surgery, my diet consists of many raw fruits and vegetables and other high fiber cereals and grains. I lost 25 pounds, but it didn't prevent me from having a serious flare-up.
I think doctors like to blame everything on food, but there's a lot of confusing information out there about what to eat. My sister-in-law insists that her doctor told her to eat a low fiber diet, so she doesn't eat salads or veggies at all.
I have also had 10 incidences where I have diverticular bleeds, twice I ended up in the hospital losing about 7 pints of blood each time. My gastro doc has been talking to me about having a colon resection, but I wouldn't hear of it. Since having the diverticulitis, I'm ready to have my sigmoid colon removed and I'm scheduled for next month.
I have a lot of food allergies, which I wasn't aware of until I was an adult, and wonder if eating all the things I'm allergic to for most of my life didn't cause my diverticular disease. Because I have hundreds of them, over my entire colon.
Not trying to discourage you from starting a forum, just telling you about my recent experiences.:eek:

Quennie 10 first congratulations on your great weight loss, i am sorry to hear you are having so much pain and health issues. Thank goodness there's hope, medication and as always we can edcuate ourselves by doing research and finding answers that doctors sometimes don't take the time to explain everything to us, i pray your illness heals and you are able to consume foods that agree with your body as your health improves.
Donna

Hello,I'v had it for years way before RNY,I just watch what I eat a little more and stay away from fryed foods and stay away from seed's I know when I eat strawberries I will have a rough time,and I dont do corn very well either.sometimes I may admitted to hospital for about 1 wk if the pain gets really bad,but that doesnt happen very often.I also stay away from spicey foods and I watch what spices I use when cooking but my pouch and intestines are very picky about what spicies they like and they dont like to many and diffently not a lot of spices.

Margaret-FL

Yes I did. When I had surgery for my weight it caused me to have another surgery, to correct my bowels 2 days later. I no longer suffer from it. But I will have a colonscopy this year because I am due for on. Yes fiber is truly important. If you have to get it by adding something try it. I know its a really hard to deal with. I guess maybe yiou have to test what will flare up cramping and I took Bental for that. Hope you can work it out.

Back