• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Does anyone else regret it?

Bonni Patterson

I had my Roux-en-Y surgery in April 2006 weighing in at 260 pounds, with a BMI of 41. Following the surgery most everything I attempted to eat I threw up. In June 2007, they realized they had not aligned a passage correctly, and re-did the surgery creating a new stomach. I continued to throw up every day as many times as 20 times a day, until I reached 92 pounds and was on feeding tubes. Because of the side effects of gallstones, osteoporosis now, losing most of my teeth from vomiting daily, I have a hard time keeping above 105 pounds. I’m sure if I could get all new teeth, it would help, but do I want to spend another $30,000 on something else that won’t work? At this point I just feel like I’m going to slowly starve to death. I have a upper G.I. scope‘s, I go into oncologist and get supplements occasionally. But no one seems to know how to stop the vomiting every day. Has anyone else had this problem? I’m so hungry, I can go three days without sleeping because falling asleep it’s hard without medication because you’re starving constantly . I’m so sorry I did this…

I am so very sorry this is happening to you. I have heard a few horror stories that resemble yours. I had my surgery in Aug and had a few moments of regret. But of course I am not going through the struggles that you are. I so much hope everything gets better for you.

How awful! I can't even imagine how much of a struggle you've had. The only thing I've heard from a friend regarding the constant daily sickness was that she had the duodenal switch instead of bypass or sleeve, and suffered for nearly a year until they discovered that her new stomach never 'woke up' after surgery, and would reject everything she ate. They went back in and found that the top part of the stomach was numb and they were able to remove that symptom and she was able to eat without side effects. I don't know if that helps, and I can't imagine after this many years they still are unable to help you. :( I do hope they don't give up on you and find a solution, even if the solution is a complete reversal of the procedure.

I am definitely touching and agreeing with you that all will be well.

You and I had different surgeries, but I am having the same issue per say. I can't hold anything down including water. My surgery was mid October and I've had to go in and get fluids 4 times already. ..and today I've found out with the help of an EGD the reason behind it all.

Although you have been fighting this for a long time, I want you to remain ENCOURAGED!! Advocate for yourself... there is an answer.. A SOLUTION

Hi. I'm sorry. I was wondering if you only had access to one surgeon. I hope that there is a solution immediately following this message...or before. I will be thinking of you. I don't go through anything of the like but I have battles. I still do not regret it however I can understand where you are coming from. Please please please be well.

I am also so sorry you are going through all of this, I hope they figure out a solution to your problems, do not give up on finding a solution to all of this

Back