• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Down in the dumps

Taxman

Has anyone else had issues with depression? I have had great success since surgery, but dealing with my wife who has issues with diabetes. She turns every discussion of what I need to do into how it affects her. This really hits me hard, she's not supposed to eat certain foods, and complains about it to me. She then goes ahead and eats it in front of me but I'm not able to cheat and eat what I want.
This tears me up. Luckily, my son helps me out and I have dear friends who are here for me.

ARRRGH!!!

Yeah totally. Your wife doesn't sounds like she really cares about your feelings, and she also sounds like she's hurting herself. You should really talk it out with her, and tell her how what she does makes you feel. She's your wife, after all. She's meant to be your other half.

Has anyone else had issues with depression? I have had great success since surgery, but dealing with my wife who has issues with diabetes. She turns every discussion of what I need to do into how it affects her. This really hits me hard, she's not supposed to eat certain foods, and complains about it to me. She then goes ahead and eats it in front of me but I'm not able to cheat and eat what I want.
This tears me up. Luckily, my son helps me out and I have dear friends who are here for me.

ARRRGH!!!
So sorry you're dealing with this, I know you're doing so well otherwise. Do you enjoy reading? There's a great book out there that may help you. It's called Codependent No More by Melody Beattie.

It really helped me a lot. Actually, with the holidays coming I could use a refresher so I'll start reading it again this weekend. :)

Taxman, do you remember the Br'er Rabbit story about the tarbaby? Br'er Fox was always trying to catch & eat Br'er Rabbit, so one day Br'er Rabbit made a scarecrow out of wads of black, sticky tar. Then he hid behind it until Br'er Fox came along. Br'er Rabbit made it seem like the tarbaby was talking to the fox, taunting him, challenging him, nah-nah-nah, you can't hit me! So of course, Br'er Fox started slugging the tarbaby, but in so doing, he got stuck to the thing. Soon he couldn't do anything but be a prisoner of his own anger, stuck to this piece of bait in the middle of a sweltering summer day.

So many people are tarbabies. If that weren't true, the fable never would have been written. It's an object lesson for us. If you have a tarbaby who's trying to make you mad so you lash out or otherwise fail, the smartest thing you can do is ignore it. I don't believe you should respond to your wife when she tries to undermine you. She is responsible for her own fate. Stop babysitting her and her diabetes.

You're the star of the house right now. Look what you did! You worked toward a very hard goal and you succeeded. And now, you're sledding toward your next goal, and that ride should fill you with joy and the satisfaction of accomplishment, not to mention better physical joy. You crushed it and why your wife is behaving this way is incomprehensible, though I suspect you know why. You've probably seen it before in her.

So when she starts, do something physical with your hand, like the touchdown sign, the anti-vampire cross or the palm-out talk-to-the-hand gesture. Stop her in her tracks. Then say, I love you, honey, but I do not like this person who's saying these things to me.

Say nothing more. Turn and leave. Then take a deep breath and do something good for yourself. Put on your jacket & go walk around the block.

Do this every time and she'll get the message. And at the same time, every time you stifle her cruelty, you should acknowledge the loving thing you just did for yourself. You may not feel happy right away, but in time, you will be proud, and your inner self will be grateful.

It's behavioral modification and sometimes it's our only choice, especially if, in the past, we used food for pleasure and to cloak our pain.

You don't deserve to be treated this way, and if you accept it, your depression will grow stronger. Don't get stuck on that tarbaby.

I'm sure you know about crisis lines, but do you know you can also call for help on a warmline? This exists in every state of the union and you can find yours by doing an internet search. Here's a list of some: https://www.mhselfhelp.org/warmlines

You could make a strong statement to your spouse by simply dialing a warmline while she's harping at you. Don't respond to her. Dial the phone. You're not in crisis but you might need someone to listen to you at the very moment someone is trying to tear you down. That's what it's there for. Even if all you say is, Hey, my wife is just verbally abusing me and it's making me feel sick, your warmline connection will respond with, Tell me all about it, and will listen to you and reflect your feelings back to you, so you can see them & counter them with love.

Best of luck to you and everyone else here who suffers from depression. Just try to insert some positive input in-between the bouts of sadness or abuse. If it gets worse, dial the crisis line. Not only women suffer domestic abuse. Reach out for help & support.

I mean the "time out" sign:

Taxman, how's the missus? Are you holding your own, setting your boundaries. The book Brenda recommended is one I'd recommend, too. You can only win with her if you stop being codependent on her. She doesn't know what she's talking about & she's being a drama queen, hoping to get to you. She may even want you to fail. This happens a lot.

What's going on today?

I have had draw lines, and I go out to run errands and visit friends. Today I am starting to prepare foods for Christmas week. I'm pureeing food so I can enjoy the same thing others are eating (my steak is pureed while theirs will be freshly cooked etc). My wife is going out to eat with our son. It's not a long term solution, but for now it's working.

I have had draw lines, and I go out to run errands and visit friends. Today I am starting to prepare foods for Christmas week. I'm pureeing food so I can enjoy the same thing others are eating (my steak is pureed while theirs will be freshly cooked etc). My wife is going out to eat with our son. It's not a long term solution, but for now it's working.
Glad to hear that you've found distractions. And great idea pureeing the same foods that will be on your holiday menu.

Hey Taxman, how you doing? We haven't heard from you in a few days. How are your boundaries? When you are co-dependent with someone, they can put their s*** on you. And because of the fact that you have a little dysfunction that attracts you to people like this, you can change. You really need to focus on it and you really need to learn to love yourself and realize how out to lunch your wife is. Please send a post and let us know how you're doing.

I'm sorry, I haven't been on line recently. The boundaries have been holding. I have been freed from the liquids and can eat "real" food . That's removed some of the pressure.
The nutritionist and the surgeon both say that I'm doing great. Most days I agree. Some days I feel exhausted and then I get morose. My son understands, and my wife is not sure why I get grumpy. Oh well, I am focusing on the positive things going on in my life.

it's just it's just occurred to me that there was something extremely inspirational it happened in my life and I forgot to mention it. It wasn't a book, although I share Brenda's enthusiasm for the book by Melody Beatty, codependent no more.

It was a movie. I saw it on PBS and then as soon as I had the chance I bought it. By the end of the movie, I had my life so well in perspective and I felt like I need a challenges in my life and that his life was so much worse than mine.

Please do not hesitate to rent or buy it. It's worth every penny. There is also a book that preceded the movie, that contains pretty much everything that you see in the movie. By the way the movie is a documentary about this pair of climbers who were trying to set a record and ended with a broken rope between them, sending them in different directions in a place they didn't know. And the please do not hesitate to rent or buy it. It's worth every penny. There is also a book that preceded the movie, that contains pretty much everything that you see in the movie. By the way the movie is a documentary about this pair of climbers who were trying to set a record and ended with a broken rope between them, sending them in different directions in a place they didn't know. And the person at the bottom of the Rope, continue to fall into a deep deep ice cave but he lived. Then over the next several days he dragged himself across the snow and ice and rivers trying to find his hiking buddy.

it's one it's one of those great documentaries that doesn't make you sad because of the reality, but it makes you feel inspired, on fire, invulnerable. Taxman if you don't have it, and can't afford it, I will send you my copy. Message me privately if you want that to happen and give me your address. But do see the movie

it's just it's just occurred to me that there was something extremely inspirational it happened in my life and I forgot to mention it. It wasn't a book, although I share Brenda's enthusiasm for the book by Melody Beatty, codependent no more.

It was a movie. I saw it on PBS and then as soon as I had the chance I bought it. By the end of the movie, I had my life so well in perspective and I felt like I need a challenges in my life and that his life was so much worse than mine.

Please do not hesitate to rent or buy it. It's worth every penny. There is also a book that preceded the movie, that contains pretty much everything that you see in the movie. By the way the movie is a documentary about this pair of climbers who were trying to set a record and ended with a broken rope between them, sending them in different directions in a place they didn't know. And the please do not hesitate to rent or buy it. It's worth every penny. There is also a book that preceded the movie, that contains pretty much everything that you see in the movie. By the way the movie is a documentary about this pair of climbers who were trying to set a record and ended with a broken rope between them, sending them in different directions in a place they didn't know. And the person at the bottom of the Rope, continue to fall into a deep deep ice cave but he lived. Then over the next several days he dragged himself across the snow and ice and rivers trying to find his hiking buddy.

it's one it's one of those great documentaries that doesn't make you sad because of the reality, but it makes you feel inspired, on fire, invulnerable. Taxman if you don't have it, and can't afford it, I will send you my copy. Message me privately if you want that to happen and give me your address. But do see the movie
Sounds fantastic Diane, what is the title?

Touching the Void

My Samsung device that I dictate on has been repeating everything I say in Long passages oh, so I have to select those words and delete so I don't duplicate or triplicate. I could swear I included the title but maybe not but if I did I probably deleted it because of this glitch I'm having in my voice typing.

ARRRGH!!!
Don't give up before the Miracles happen!!!

ARRRGH!!!
I'm in your shoes too. Somehow my surgery has become all about my sister. She's a diabetic who eats everything she's not suppose to. Her pain is worse than anyone else's and her struggle is worse than the one between good and evil. I try to tune her out but I'm dealing with depression even though I've lost 30 pounds in a month. So I guess we have to hang in there and put our health first.

I'm in your shoes too. Somehow my surgery has become all about my sister. She's a diabetic who eats everything she's not suppose to. Her pain is worse than anyone else's and her struggle is worse than the one between good and evil. I try to tune her out but I'm dealing with depression even though I've lost 30 pounds in a month. So I guess we have to hang in there and put our health first.
Hi and welcome. Congratulations on your 30 pounds this month, that's amazing!

Some people can't stand it if attention is taken away from them, they'll do anything to get it back, even if it's negative attention. That's her issue, not yours. We're here to celebrate with you even if the others in your life continue to focus on her bad behavior. Come here when you have accomplishments to share, we love joining each other in these celebrations! Even if it's just to report your weekly loss or another non-scale victory. And we're here for support when you struggle too. There will be times when the scale doesn't move, despite doing everything right. It's frustrating but we'll be here to help you through it. That's what this group is for!!!

Do you say affirmations? They're corny, I know but they do help you steer your mind to a positive outlook. I think a good one to remind you how different you are from your sister is: "I have the courage to live my dreams". Don't let anyone steal your victories.

Please keep writing.

Back