• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Dumping

Bill sperry

I asked my dietitian about delayed dumping because I’d have time where I’d eat something a little too sugary and I’d get the shakes and fast heartbeat but no rushing to the bathroom. Then the next day it was a different story. She said that while it’s not traditional dumping because the food isn’t rushing through the system, but it was effecting blood sugar, and the intestines are not processing the sugars which is what causes the unpleasantness the following day.

Carbs for me. Extremely frustrating because I didn’t have the surgery to lose weight and I don’t want to lose any more weight! And I struggle to eat meat, but I just love to eat bagels lol. I really mustn’t complain though, I do feel a lot better these days and it’s nice being skinny!

Do you all agree this happens when you eat the wrong food or eat to fast? Or you don't always know why?
I don't know if fast eating causes dumping. But I only dumped once, and it was related to eating a fatty, sugary item I was craving. I'm pretty sure dumping is high risk in the first several weeks following the surgery I had.

That was 14 years ago, open abdominal surgery. Now that most gastric bypass procedures are done laparoscopically, I don't know how frequently dumping happens, or how long people might be susceptible to it.

Following the post-op eating plan strictly should protect people from this horrible phenomenon. I only had to experience it once to get religion.

I can eat anything I want without ill effect, but eating right makes my whole body feel good. I don't even crave fats or sugars now, but that's not true for everyone. A stupidly high percentage of unfortunate people gain back all their weight after a year or two of healthy eating. The mental obsession is worse than dumping, if you can believe it.

I must be a glutton for punishment, but I chose the gastric bypass bc of the threat of dumping syndrome (& to avoid GERD). I need strict boundaries so I won't be tempted to overeat at least for the 1st 6 months or so. By then my new eating habits should be so ingrained, I'll be able to continue successfully.

I'll try to be super vigilant about sugars & fats. Thanks for the good advice everyone.

Dumping can be a life long thing. I have experienced it less the farther I am out. However there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to mine. I have had it happen with certian foods that I ate a million times before with no issue.

Are hot flashes part of it? I have had crazy excessive hot flashes to the point of pouring sweat and nausea

W
Dumping can be a life long thing. I have experienced it less the farther I am out. However there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to mine. I have had it happen with certian foods that I ate a million times before with no issue.

Are hot flashes part of it? I have had crazy excessive hot flashes to the point of pouring sweat and nausea
Wow I had no idea that dumping can continue indefinitely. Do you think it's the type of food, the amount, drinking water too close to mealtime, or some crazy combo of all of the above?

Every time I want to eat something I was told not to eat, I should read all of this and see if it sounds good or not. LOL I still have not done anything with sugar (other than fruit)

I am have had pain and getting sick from eating without thinking. I think I do chew well and feel it right away like in a min or less.

I think we are all learning still and experimenting . I’m a year and a half out from surgery and now Im eating some of the things I used to eat but not a lot of it and testing my myself as to what I can’t and can eat. examples I used to love hamburgers now I just have a Burger wrapped in lettuce,instead of a huge steak I’ll get a small filet and a side and probably take half of it home.

As for sweets and other slider foods I have a small amount a couple of times a week like a cup of healthy chips or sugar free ice cream . I learned my lesson a couple of days ago by eating a whole thing of ice cream and dumped so that won’t happen again .

I agree, Bill. And also, a year out I'm still finding that every day is different. Some days I can eat a small hamburger patty, some days bite #1 makes me nauseous and I'm done. Some days I can have a bit of sweets, other days, absolutely not. I am pretty lucky in that if it's not going to sit well that day, the majority of the time my stomach let's me know immediately.

Back