• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Duodenal Switch

Hi, Ann..... It's been strange and amazing. I actually didn't find this site and the awesome supportive members until about a month ago. I've had a great experience thus far. My biggest obstacle has been mental as the fast weight loss messes with my self image. My cravings are easily dealt with, focus changed from food to other things....buying my first mountain bike this weekend, learning to jog). Let me know if I can provide info.

Hi butterfly, I can't remember this detail but isn't the duodenal switch the very best cure four diabetes of all the gastric bypass or sleeve surgery as you can have out there?
Hi Diane. I do think I read that somewhere. The kicker for me was that my dr told me the likelihood for regaining was very low due to the combined effect of the restriction plus the malabsorption with the DS.

Hi, Ann..... It's been strange and amazing. I actually didn't find this site and the awesome supportive members until about a month ago. I've had a great experience thus far. My biggest obstacle has been mental as the fast weight loss messes with my self image. My cravings are easily dealt with, focus changed from food to other things....buying my first mountain bike this weekend, learning to jog). Let me know if I can provide info.
Thank you so much! When did you have your surgery and how hard had maintenance been? Can you offer any advice/lessons learned?

Hi! I only wish I'd done it sooner. Surgery was done in New Mexico. Personally I had zero pain after surgery.
Part of approval process was taking label reading, nutrition and protein classes, as well as multiple visits with a nutritionist and therapist, all of which have been very beneficial. Maintenance has been pretty easy. I use a bariatric app 98% of my days to make sure my nutrients/protein are in the ballpark. I take supplements daily. Im no longer able to tolerate super spicy or greasy fried foods or soda... my cravings decreased dramatically right after surgery. I understand that the portion of the stomach that is removed is largely where the "hunger hormone" ghrelin is produced. I strongly advocate therapy, personally my biggest struggles have been emotional and related to self image. All my best positive energy to you!!

Back