• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Eating combine meals

Kim M

I made turkey chili tonight for the first time. It was yummy and very healthy. I almost always eat single food items. For example: 3 oz. fish and 2-3 ounces of veggies. I still weigh my food. So tonight I was trying to figure out my protein and veggies, but since this is a combined meal I didn't know whether to just weigh 5 oz. and figure that was my dinner. There was turkey, 2 kinds of beans, green chiles, tomatoes, onion and peppers and loads of spices. I took an amount that I thought would be a serving. I ate slow and was mindful of how my sleeve was feeling. I made the meal last for 20 minutes. I then took another few spoonfuls. Bit mistake, because then I felt really full. So finally the question. How do you figure out how much you are suppose to eat when your protein, veggies etc are combline?

I just go by how my tummy feels. I get a funny bubbly sensation and just know I must stop. Sorry that I am not much help with your question about how to count your protein.
Happy Trails
Laurie

One way to figure proteins is by the ounce or serving. For example lets say you make the chili with one pound of turkey, it has about six Grams of protein per ounce, the info for kidney beans should be on the can and say you use two cans, most of the other ingredients (unless you use soy products or add some quinoa) that is all the protein. Then you divide into servings and divide the protein by the number of servings. I do that with my home made soups. (not that I make a lot of them). My bariatric center recommends a small Wendy's chili, you can eyeball the size of that cup and then judge how much you should eat. And listening to your pouch is always good too. Hope this helps. Joy

Thanks Javajoy that helps a lot. I have not been to Wendy's, but I think the serving size was okay. It was those few extra bites. I think this is why I stick with sinlge food items. No leftovers expect with veggies. Something I still need to work on.

Kim, there are a lot of web sites that list nutrition values of different foods. Using the cans or bags, I would just write down the nutrition content of each ingredient, and then add them up and divide by number of servings. It sounds complicated, but if you make a lot of the same casseroles etc. it's worth it to keep a book. I did this when preparing my husband's diabetic meals.

Kim M I think you did well because you used all protein products and low in calorie foods,it's hard to constantly worrying about what we can and can't eat and how much etc. but you're doing good.have you seen the receipe on a can of white northen beans called "white chili"? I had thought about making that since the beans are "protein" I also looked up some "white chili recipes online, they're endless. each day is a new trying experience but we're all determined and we will win the battle, one day one bite at a time. I am happy to say today at the dr. she told me my blood work came back very good, said' it was the best I had ever had my sugar level was 6.0 I was told I can now stop metformin, that was the last diabetic med. I have, no high blood pressure or cholesterol and vitamin levels are good, and I 'd had a 4 lbs loss since last week, needless to say I was one happy lady, she gave me medicince for bronchitis and sinus infection, but life is good because I am getting healthy weight wise. hope you're having a good evening, Donna

Back