• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Emotional Eating Leading to Weigh Gain

Beth48

One of the biggest struggles I have is emotional eating. This has been a major issue with my weight gain. I am struggling terribly to get control of it.
I have tried so many thing to try to avoid it. Meditation-yoga, journaling, reading- listening to pod casts ect.
Does anyone deal with this too?

I ate out of boredom. I'd be watching tv and I just needed the diversion to eat - something to do with my hands. I read an article that the "hand to mouth" habit - just like smoking - is the hardest part of the habit to break. I know I'm not hungry ,but I want to indulge my habit ! During the 2020 quarantine , I decided to buy myself sketchbooks , pens & markers and have that on my lap instead of snacks. I doodled myself away from that habit and lost weight. I also stopped buying anything that can tempt me . If it's not here - I can't eat it ! LOL Good luck with everything :)

I'm the same as KathyLev, I ate out of boredom and have the "hand to mouth" habit. I haven't heard that term before, but it describes what I have and do! I know I have a weakness for potato chips and pretzels, so I stopped buying them. 3 months out from surgery, I haven't had any chips/pretzels, partially out of fear how my stomach might react to them. But one way to control your habit is to not buy them, so you don't have temptations available within reach at your residence. Good luck with staying on track! It's not easy, but you can do it!!

Might I suggest having your teens keep their chips and cookies in an air tight container in their own rooms? My mother lives with me and used to eat like a toddler given free rein. Truly. I made her keep all that garbage in her room.

You cannot control what others eat but you have every right to ask for them to keep it away from you.

Also, IntelligentSlug, you will be able to choose what to eat, although not necessarily how much. Higher quality food can be very satisfying in smaller doses. Its all the chemicals they add to garbage food for the sole purpose of making you want more, that is the biggest problem.

I have found that Jello Sugar-free pudding (60 calories per serving) satisfies my chocolate cravings. I eat it with a small spoon so I can make it last longer.
(That said, seeing other people eat yummy-looking things can be tough. I like to play New York Times or other brain games on my phone so I don’t pay attention to what my husband is eating.)

One of the biggest struggles I have is emotional eating. This has been a major issue with my weight gain. I am struggling terribly to get control of it.
I have tried so many thing to try to avoid it. Meditation-yoga, journaling, reading- listening to pod casts ect.
yes. i deal with it and there is no help at the bariatric center. they don't offer ONGOING emotional support..like every week or even more than once a week. something that is very overlooked in bariatric programs is the after care for the LIFESTYLE CHANGE we undergo. batriatric sugery is a huge lifestyle changer yet we are on our own with the changes that come. sure there is the nutritionist but they are about what to eat and how much. they do not address the other things that happen after surgery. it is shocking to me that programs don't have strong after care programs for the lifestyle problems that come up.

I feel tge same as Girlnow. I looked forward the what was referred to as 'meet with a therapist' and the dietician. It was not designed to help me, but simply an insurance qualification. So earlier this year i decided to start therapy, and it has been an eye opener!
We are hitting so many topics...im learning a lot about myself and learning to acknowledge feelings that impact my decisions. Still have a lot of work to do. But just as we describe surgery as a 'tool' for success, therapy is also a tool for me.

Good luck!!

I use food to calm my anxiety. i guess the same reason some people drink. when i am anxious i need something pleasurable to keep my mind off my worries and eating does it for me. but the bad side of that is i can be anxious for a whole day, so i am eating all day long.

They have medication and therapies to help with anxiety. Food doesn't calm your anxiety or you'd be calm as soon as you started eating. Food doesn't offer us comfort or emotional support. That's only what we project onto it.

I see a therapist once a month to keep my feet on the ground. Also I refuse to compromise with food. If I dip one toe in it I'm sunk. Like an alcoholic or drug addict I have to abstain.

I use food to calm my anxiety. i guess the same reason some people drink. when i am anxious i need something pleasurable to keep my mind off my worries and eating does it for me. but the bad side of that is i can be anxious for a whole day, so i am eating all day long.
The pleasure of eating something tasty releases endorphins and that is the anxiety squelcher. Unfortunately the minute we're done the anxiety returns 10-fold. I find the results of my surgery; being smaller, able to do more, helps my anxiety at that moment. I also have a therapist I see once a month.

I have found that Jello Sugar-free pudding (60 calories per serving) satisfies my chocolate cravings. I eat it with a small spoon so I can make it last longer.
(That said, seeing other people eat yummy-looking things can be tough. I like to play New York Times or other brain games on my phone so I don’t pay attention to what my husband is eating.)
I imagine every single calorie they are taking in is one less for me to burn off!

I ate for a feeling of safety and control. Eating was a bubble of comfort. I am struggling with the feeling that I have lost my freedom to choose what and how much I eat.
I'm trying to put food on the back burner. My whole life has been a constant compulsive eating, food in the forefront experience. Now I want life in the forefront and food just to support that life.

Back