• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Emotional roller coaster pre-op?

Christy0829

I started my journey august of 22. In the past 9 months I’ve managed to loose 45lbs, lower my A1c significantly, and make sure I drink lots of water. Not until the first day of my pre-op liquid diet, did I start to feel incredibly anxious! The first day was awful, so tired and headachey. The second wasn’t as bad, the third, not as icky, but I’m shocked by how emotional I feel. I know that hormones can fluctuate with weight, but I wasn’t expecting to feel this anxious & emotional. I guess I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this before surgery, and if so, did it escalate at all afterwards? I like to have my ducks in a row, and this was not a duck I had expected. So, I thought it would be a good idea to reach out to the community. I know this process has been long and I know it’s life-altering. Giving up control of anything is hard. I feel like this far in I shouldn’t have so much self-doubt. But then I don’t know if that’s normal or if it’s something lots of people go through a week before surgery?

Yes, I did experience this in pre op and have had bouts of severe depression post op (I had VSG 2 months ago). This was unexpected for me but I let the surgeon's office know and one of his PA's said it is common. Please don't feel you are alone in experiencing this. Although I was told it is normal, it's been tough to accept. For instance, the past two days were awful for me, but today I feel a lot better.

Thank you so much! I’m so glad you are feeling better today. Finding this site has been such a gift already! If only we could just flip a switch so what we know as fact can align with what we feel as a human being. Thank you again. It’s remarkable how much it means to know I’m not alone.

I started my journey august of 22. In the past 9 months I’ve managed to loose 45lbs, lower my A1c significantly, and make sure I drink lots of water. Not until the first day of my pre-op liquid diet, did I start to feel incredibly anxious! The first day was awful, so tired and headachey. The second wasn’t as bad, the third, not as icky, but I’m shocked by how emotional I feel. I know that hormones can fluctuate with weight, but I wasn’t expecting to feel this anxious & emotional. I guess I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this before surgery, and if so, did it escalate at all afterwards? I like to have my ducks in a row, and this was not a duck I had expected. So, I thought it would be a good idea to reach out to the community. I know this process has been long and I know it’s life-altering. Giving up control of anything is hard. I feel like this far in I shouldn’t have so much self-doubt. But then I don’t know if that’s normal or if it’s something lots of people go through a week before surgery?
Christy, I am going thru the same thing. EVERY DAY I'm thinking and rethinking every decision I've made so far. The other night I was very weepy. I'm hungry and struggling with constipation. I am on meds for depression and anxiety, but I still find myself chewing on my tongue (anxiety making me suck it between my teeth and bite on it). I'm weak and haven't been able to do really any exercise because of it. My surgery is on Wed. 3/29. Both excited and scared. I just want to get past all this and start feeling strong and at ease again! Glad you're doing better!

Christy, I am going thru the same thing. EVERY DAY I'm thinking and rethinking every decision I've made so far. The other night I was very weepy. I'm hungry and struggling with constipation. I am on meds for depression and anxiety, but I still find myself chewing on my tongue (anxiety making me suck it between my teeth and bite on it). I'm weak and haven't been able to do really any exercise because of it. My surgery is on Wed. 3/29. Both excited and scared. I just want to get past all this and start feeling strong and at ease again! Glad you're doing better!
You can do this!! I woke up wide awake at 5am knowing this is the day before my surgery. All kinds of feelings!! I started taking some miralax in the morning and at night in my crystal light water on day 3 or 4, and that helped my little problem incredibly. I’m also super grateful for my prescribing psyc doctor. It hadn’t occurred to me that my extended release meds would act differently after surgery. So I had some nerves about that affecting my depression etc… so far so good tho! I really hope you’re feeling better. Just remember this is a blip in the journey of our lives that might be uncomfortable at first, like a pair of good leather boots. The discomfort is temporary and they’ll last forever as long as you take care of them, treat them for the elements, and occasionally have them serviced. A really wise man told me once that anytime we are doing something our gut says is the right thing to do even though it’s really uncomfortable means we are building character and growing as a person. The more uncomfortable we are, the more growth we are going through. You are doing great! Thank you for sharing with me!

You can do this!! I woke up wide awake at 5am knowing this is the day before my surgery. All kinds of feelings!! I started taking some miralax in the morning and at night in my crystal light water on day 3 or 4, and that helped my little problem incredibly. I’m also super grateful for my prescribing psyc doctor. It hadn’t occurred to me that my extended release meds would act differently after surgery. So I had some nerves about that affecting my depression etc… so far so good tho! I really hope you’re feeling better. Just remember this is a blip in the journey of our lives that might be uncomfortable at first, like a pair of good leather boots. The discomfort is temporary and they’ll last forever as long as you take care of them, treat them for the elements, and occasionally have them serviced. A really wise man told me once that anytime we are doing something our gut says is the right thing to do even though it’s really uncomfortable means we are building character and growing as a person. The more uncomfortable we are, the more growth we are going through. You are doing great! Thank you for sharing with me!

I left work right after getting there this a.m. Tired, weak to feeling faint. I'm eating my 1000 calories and I feel like this should be getting easier! Weepy this a.m. as I just wrote each of my boys (20 and 23 yrs old and living away from home) a card in case something happens to me. I wrote one for my hubby too. I've had surgery several times in the past and have never experienced this much, oh I don't want to say fear, more like realistic, that something COULD happen. Maybe it's because of my age. I was much younger when I had my other surgeries. I'm just so ready to be on the flip side of all this. I got home and read what you wrote above. Thank you so much for the kind and inspirational words. I just need to focus on recovering and healing when this is all done and also focus on what a healthier me I will be (and that I WILL be here for a long time with my hubby and boys!). xo Wednesday is the day!!!

My surgery is in 2 days (Monday) and I am glad its almost over but am nervous and overwhelmed at this point with carbs, sugars, foods, needs etc. Nervous and anxious about all the unknowns to come. But if we just focus on recovering at this point. Healing the body is the only thing that you need right now. A healed body and clear mind will handle the other what ifs and to comes. Best of luck.

I left work right after getting there this a.m. Tired, weak to feeling faint. I'm eating my 1000 calories and I feel like this should be getting easier! Weepy this a.m. as I just wrote each of my boys (20 and 23 yrs old and living away from home) a card in case something happens to me. I wrote one for my hubby too. I've had surgery several times in the past and have never experienced this much, oh I don't want to say fear, more like realistic, that something COULD happen. Maybe it's because of my age. I was much younger when I had my other surgeries. I'm just so ready to be on the flip side of all this. I got home and read what you wrote above. Thank you so much for the kind and inspirational words. I just need to focus on recovering and healing when this is all done and also focus on what a healthier me I will be (and that I WILL be here for a long time with my hubby and boys!). xo Wednesday is the day!!!
Bu this time both of us have had our surgeries!! I can’t wait to hear how it went and how you’re doing!!

Bu this time both of us have had our surgeries!! I can’t wait to hear how it went and how you’re doing!!
Sore, sore sore. I'm wearing the abdomen binder. Just as I feel the gas is lessening it rears it's ugly head again. Some spasming in the pouch when I take just too much of a sip of water. I don't feel hungry or hunger pangs, just weak. Looking forward to starting full liquids next week! I don't know about you, but I'm really bruised. Covers almost my whole abdomen. Just tender all the way around. How are YOU doing now?

Sore, sore sore. I'm wearing the abdomen binder. Just as I feel the gas is lessening it rears it's ugly head again. Some spasming in the pouch when I take just too much of a sip of water. I don't feel hungry or hunger pangs, just weak. Looking forward to starting full liquids next week! I don't know about you, but I'm really bruised. Covers almost my whole abdomen. Just tender all the way around. How are YOU doing now?
I’m good! I’ve had it with the gas! I’m 7 days today, not too tender, but little sore here and there and still wearing the binder. I was taking miralax (as per my nurse), which is fine but I was up several times last night. I have yet to feel nauseous but I’ve got what my mom called “popcorn tummy”. It’s the gas just moving and grooving’ and I don’t even know there is anything to #2 since I’ve been on only clear liquids since the day before surgery. Tomorrow is my post op and I’m really looking forward to protein. I’m still a bit swollen, but the bruising has really subsided. I kept ice packs on the biggest incision really regularly for the first few days. I’m wondering about the gas tho, it might be tmi, but since passing some “matter”, it doesn’t seem to just come out as easily, and I’m worried about pushing too hard or at all. Are you feeling that too? I’m weak also, but I’ve had a couple field trips and that has made my day!!

I’m good! I’ve had it with the gas! I’m 7 days today, not too tender, but little sore here and there and still wearing the binder. I was taking miralax (as per my nurse), which is fine but I was up several times last night. I have yet to feel nauseous but I’ve got what my mom called “popcorn tummy”. It’s the gas just moving and grooving’ and I don’t even know there is anything to #2 since I’ve been on only clear liquids since the day before surgery. Tomorrow is my post op and I’m really looking forward to protein. I’m still a bit swollen, but the bruising has really subsided. I kept ice packs on the biggest incision really regularly for the first few days. I’m wondering about the gas tho, it might be tmi, but since passing some “matter”, it doesn’t seem to just come out as easily, and I’m worried about pushing too hard or at all. Are you feeling that too? I’m weak also, but I’ve had a couple field trips and that has made my day!!
Oh I’m worried about pushing too hard too. I drank some Smooth Move tea instead of Colace, so we’ll see. Field trips to the store? I’m waiting until Wednesday as it will be a full week as knowing my luck I’d bite it outside and bust something open! Lol. What kind of full liquids are you doing? Cream soups? Got one you like? Glad you’re doing well!!

Hi!! I had my surgery back in January and have experienced my fair share of constipation troubles. (and still do!). I just keep at it with using miralax, colace, and it seems to be improving as the months pass. I still get "popcorn tummy" throughout the days.

There's nothing wrong with using a fiber laxative with lots of water to chase it. It lines your bowel and takes any solids out with it.

But of course, ask your doctor. Psyllium is the main ingredient and in fact, I only used pure psyllium because I don't like all the artificial color and additives and flavors they put in commercial fiber laxative. I found it very easy to take but used a little trick. I put a scoop of fiber lax into a glass with a couple of ounces of water, stirred it, and right away it got thick. I slugged it down, then chased it with water. Worked great for me. I had been constipated at the beginning, and had never experienced constipation in my life. No way I was ever going to be constipated again!

And I had an open procedure with a 7" vertical incision from navel to sternum because that was how they did it 16 years ago. I had stitches inside my body to make my stomach into a pouch, and then a bunch of stitches in skin and muscle to close the wound. It was major surgery so I was in bed for the better part of two weeks, resting and healing. I worried about pushing down and busting my stitches, but for no good reason. The material doctors use to stitch wounds is like metal. It ain't gonna break.

You'll be much worse off if you don't evacuate your bowels. See your bariatric team if you need reassurance.

Oh I’m worried about pushing too hard too. I drank some Smooth Move tea instead of Colace, so we’ll see. Field trips to the store? I’m waiting until Wednesday as it will be a full week as knowing my luck I’d bite it outside and bust something open! Lol. What kind of full liquids are you doing? Cream soups? Got one you like? Glad you’re doing well!!
I started with a protein shake diluted with almond milk and it was AWESOME! I had my 2 tablespoons of sugar free pudding last night and so far so good too! I picked up some basic cream of chicken and tomato soup to try 2 tablespoons of today! Nothing special, but we will see! I’m super clumsy too! I have to remind myself to slow down sometimes cuz I’m 5’10” and it’s a long way down!!
I’ve noticed my toes and balls of my feet feel kinda tingly numb especially when I wake up and that seems to be my biggest concern right now. I’m wondering if that’s normal? I was on metformin and ozempic before surgery and now I’m not. Hmmm. I’m excited for your field trip!

There's nothing wrong with using a fiber laxative with lots of water to chase it. It lines your bowel and takes any solids out with it.

But of course, ask your doctor. Psyllium is the main ingredient and in fact, I only used pure psyllium because I don't like all the artificial color and additives and flavors they put in commercial fiber laxative. I found it very easy to take but used a little trick. I put a scoop of fiber lax into a glass with a couple of ounces of water, stirred it, and right away it got thick. I slugged it down, then chased it with water. Worked great for me. I had been constipated at the beginning, and had never experienced constipation in my life. No way I was ever going to be constipated again!

And I had an open procedure with a 7" vertical incision from navel to sternum because that was how they did it 16 years ago. I had stitches inside my body to make my stomach into a pouch, and then a bunch of stitches in skin and muscle to close the wound. It was major surgery so I was in bed for the better part of two weeks, resting and healing. I worried about pushing down and busting my stitches, but for no good reason. The material doctors use to stitch wounds is like metal. It ain't gonna break.

You'll be much worse off if you don't evacuate your bowels. See your bariatric team if you need reassurance.
Diane Seattle, you seem really informed about everything, I was wondering if you had and tingly sort of numbness/like they are asleep in your feet? I had a little neuropathy prior to surgery from diabetes so I was surprised to feel it still if not a wee more post op. I’ve told my doctors and I haven’t really had an explanation. Ideas? It does come and go.

Back