• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Emotional

Sorry you are experiencing this Linda.

My emotions were all over the place my first month but I was dealing with bad complications and was in the hospital for 3 weeks. I had wicked dreams during that time too. But I think mine was more specific to being in the hospital so long and winding up with 3 surgeries. And on top of it, due to Covid, not having anyone able to come visit.

I imagine it is possible for hormones to get out of whack and mess things up a bit too. For me it worked itself out once I was able to be back home again. I hope you feel better. If it continues to concern you, reach out to your doctor.

It absolutely is a lot of hormonal changes. Aside from the changes the surgery itself makes on your body, estrogen is actually created at a higher rate in heavier people. So, as your weight goes down, so can your estrogen levels. So, it can be like PMS for a bit. Not to mention the emotions involved with lack of food. Your surgical team should have a counselor attached to their program if you feel you need an extra dose of emotional support for a bit.

I was lucky and already had a pyschologist in place. I had him contact my bariatric team to make sure they were on the same page. I do think ongoing support, no matter what form is best for you is really important.

That is one of the reasons I sought out this group. My weekly sessions with my therapist weren't enough for me preop. I was going through a lot of different things during my preop though, but I needed additional support.

I don't have family support. I live with my husband, and he loves me very much. The problem is, our relationship lacks communication.

"Feelings" are one of those subjects that are impossible to talk to him about. He is like Joe Friday from Dragnet "Just the facts ma'am". I guess I really dated myself with that quote.

At any rate, from what I've read and been through just in the preop process, the whole thing is very emotional. You will have ups and downs. If you don't have a support system in place, be sure to put one together. You'll be thankful for it when you do.

It has been 3 weeks since my surgery but I have become very emotional. Has anyone else had this issue? Don't know if it is part of this whole process
I just started a new book and the first chapter discussed all our "stuff" coming to the surface after surgery. I am only on chapter one.
I did finally manage to get a therapist appointment, they seem to be very busy, guess Covid got to a lot of us. I need to continue major work on not going back to old bad habits. Regain is a huge FEAR for me.

I just started a new book and the first chapter discussed all our "stuff" coming to the surface after surgery. I am only on chapter one.
I did finally manage to get a therapist appointment, they seem to be very busy, guess Covid got to a lot of us. I need to continue major work on not going back to old bad habits. Regain is a huge FEAR for me.
I am bipolar so I have a regular psychologist. He even does evaluations for bypass surgery. I have to get an appt soon with him. Not losing any weight is a huge fear of mine now since I haven't lost any in the last 2 weeks and my surgery was July 9

Sharon, can I ask the name of the book?

Of course you're afraid. But let me share that I'm 14 years out with NO REGAIN.

The pre- and post-op food plans not only reeducated me, they changed my digestive process. I can eat anything I want, but my first priority is getting 50 to 70 grams of protein daily.

Doing that sets me up for success.

It really helped reaffirm my commitment that I wrote every crumb of food down, every day. It's more important than counting calories.

One thing that makes normal eating possible is eliminating sugar, or carbs that metabolize into sugar. Sugar is as addictive as heroin and harder to kick. There are lots of yummy things, including fats, that satisfy the strongest cravings.

But eating sugar is like pouring gasoline on a bonfire. You lose.

Also, change your self-talk from crticizing yourself to affirming your desire for health. Search the posts for affirmations. I've posted dozens of them in the last two years, and you only need one.

Zuccanoes

It is early yet, don’t beat yourself up. Your body is still adjusting. Have faith, stick around here, it is a very supportive place. You are in a family now of people who accept you, believe in you, and will be there for you. Think positive thoughts you are stronger than you give yourself credit for.

Sharon, can I ask the name of the book?
Sure thing! This one is called Weight Loss Surgery: The Real Skinny authors: Nicholson & Blackwood

I am getting more into the book, it is easy reading and focus is on our "issues" with food.
I posted a reading list from the Psychologist who did my pre-op eval, it is on another thread, I will grab a copy and send it to you.

I majorly need the brain training with my food issues.

Omg yes - I was mooooody for the first month or so. My husband was like, I thought you would be so happy loosing weight! My poor guy. But my hormones were all out of order, much better now and leaning on my assigned program therapist really helped.

I had surgery on August 4th and I have cried every day since for no reason at all. I usually feel better after I cry but definitely more emotional! I also talk to a therapist once a week that’s helping me navigate through some of this stuff that comes up. This group has been the best it’s nice to know that I have support from people that have the same struggles as myself.

I had surgery on August 4th and I have cried every day since for no reason at all. I usually feel better after I cry but definitely more emotional! I also talk to a therapist once a week that’s helping me navigate through some of this stuff that comes up. This group has been the best it’s nice to know that I have support from people that have the same struggles as myself.
It does start to get better - I am not as emotional now (it's been about a month) but I still have moments. Hang in there & come to the forums regularly. They really helped me.

Back