• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG) versus Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG)!!!!

fate

Dear All,

I am in the process of making a decision on having bariatric surgery then if I decide to go ahead, should I go with ESG or VSG?

I am 58 years young, 5'5'', and currently weighs 234 lb. (with the help of Wegovy shots, I lost 22 in 6 months). My Physician personally thinks if I can lose with Wegovy that would be better. (I have to mention that twice I had Qsymia with lots of weight loss then stalled, stopped the pill, and regained the weight.
I am going to have a consultation with one of the surgeons very soon.
Any ideas, advice or anything that I should know or consider is highly appreciated.

Everyone has different views on the WLS options. Gastric Bypass (RnY) is considered the gold standard and statistically has the highest rate of both weight lost and weight kept off. It also has a higher rate of complications, both long and short term.

This is a decision best made with your bariatric team.

Everyone has different views on the WLS options. Gastric Bypass (RnY) is considered the gold standard and statistically has the highest rate of both weight lost and weight kept off. It also has a higher rate of complications, both long and short term.

This is a decision best made with your bariatric team.
Thank you for your prompt reply.
I heard that Sleeve is better than Bypass since endoscopy can be done in case we need it, but in RnY cannot be done. (I am not sure it's correct or not).

I heard that Sleeve is better than Bypass since endoscopy can be done in case we need it, but in RnY cannot be done. (I am not sure it's correct or not).

RnYGB is better than the sleeve. The sleeve is easier and recovery is quicker but as Missy said, RYGB is the gold standard. That's what I had 16 years ago and lost 115 pounds. I've kept most of it off. I cut some corners or I would have kept all of it off. Anyway, I'm not gaining it back. No danger of that.

I have to have yearly endoscopies, due to a pre cancerous condition. They can absolutely do them.

Unless you mean to check for leaks, directly after surgery? In that case, the difference is your intestine cannot be scoped, but your stomach/pouch still can. I have heard of people getting an endoscopy the day after surgery to check for leaks. But my surgeon does not do that for either procedure. ( I had RnY, husband had sleeve). He said and I quote "my stitches don't leak" lol

Где модератор ??
Это очень важно.
С уважением.

You are not going to get an answer to this question because THERE IS NO MODERATOR, and even if there was any question from a member would be answered in the group guidelines. I'm going to report you to the forum administrators if you don't stop asking this question. If you have a question, ASK PUBLICLY OF THE GROUP.

Back