• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Enjoying my new self

fuww57

Did something I never thought I would do. I went zip lining in a Jamaican rain forest. My new Avatar is a photo of me in the gear. I used to feel frustrated because I wasn't allowed to participate in activities like zip lining and even helicopter rides due to weight restrictions. Don't think it was because I necessarily wanted to do these things. More because I was prohibited. But now I'm free to do it and it didn't even occur to me that I was petrified to do the zip line. I just ignored my fears and went. Because I can! And I had a blast. Eight runs and one of them was a vertical drop like rappelling. This adventure also involved a rather strenuous hike for about 1/2 mile to get to the first platform and then another 1/2 mile or so to return to the starting point when we finished. That would have prevented me from attempting this even if there wasn't a weight restriction.

Every day I find myself becoming free from my old behaviors and learning that I wasn't lazy, just incapacitated. I just passed the 15-month milestone of my surgery. The weight has stayed off, my health has improved, my activity level keeps increasing and for the first time since I don't know when, I have a wardrobe can I take pride in. Sadly, I learned that a former colleague of mine with a serious weight problem recently passed away. From what I understand it was related to his obesity. That could have been me. Which is why when people tell me that I should be very proud of myself I thank them and add that I am mostly grateful.

Last edited:
Did something I never thought I would do. I went zip lining in a Jamaican rain forest. My new Avatar is a photo of me in the gear. I used to feel frustrated because I wasn't allowed to participate in activities like zip lining and even helicopter rides due to weight restrictions. Don't think it was because I necessarily wanted to do these things. More because I was prohibited. But now I'm free to do it and it didn't even occur to me that I was petrified to do the zip line. I just ignored my fears and went. Because I can! And I had a blast. Eight runs and one of them was a vertical drop like rappelling. This adventure also involved a rather strenuous hike for about 1/2 mile to get to the first platform and then another 1/2 mile or so to return to the starting point when we finished. That would have prevented me from attempting this even if there wasn't a weight restriction.

Every day I find myself becoming free from my old behaviors and learning that I wasn't lazy, just incapacitated. I just passed the 15-month milestone of my surgery. The weight has stayed off, my health has improved, my activity level keeps increasing and for the first time since I don't know when, I have a wardrobe can I take pride in. Sadly, I learned that a former colleague of mine with a serious weight problem recently passed away. From what I understand it was related to his obesity. That could have been me. Which is why when people tell me that I should be very proud of myself I thank them and add that I am mostly grateful.

How WONDERFUL that your life has changed so dramatically!!! AWESOME!!!!

I congratulate you that you have done this while you are still young. I was normal weight in my teen years and started gaining when I was about 20 after my son was born. A little more weight year after year and I lost and gained weight like a yoyo all my life til I had bariatric surgery at 64 yrs of age. Life has changed for me too in that my health and mobility is so much better, I feel like a normal regular person now. I only wish I could have had this surgery years ago. I do have more weight to lose still but even now I am a million percent happier and feeling so wonderful!

Again CONGRATULATIONS on your success for a happier, healthier life!

Cheyenne :cool:

Hello and welcome.

Isn't it wonderful.

I have a suggestion for you.

I did this all during my first year. I am now past my first anniversary, reached my goal weight in about 7 months and now maintaining between 196 to 200 for the last 5.

What I did was keep track of things I could do NOW as a result of my weight loss.

You might want to do the same.

It is amazing what we can do once we shed the weight.

Here is my list:

Accomplishments as a result of my Bariatric Gastric Bypass (11/4/2013)

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year.
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy and I can dance, dance and dance!
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now and I can see my toes.
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless
• I squeeze out between two cars that were tightly parked together. A year ago I couldn’t get out of the car; I would be trapped.
• I squeezed into a size 38 pair of pants. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping on side is comfortable now. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping flat on my back is doing fine too. No longer need to be propped up. (6/1/2014)
• I have reached my goal of under 200. I weigh 197 (9/9/2014)
• Size 38 Pants fitting comfortably now (9/9/2014)

Best wishes to you,

Ralph

Hi Glorybeesleeved! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

Did you have surgery yet? You forgot to fill your info out. :)

Cheyenne :cool:

Back