• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Enough water and Protein

Cindy Thomas

How long did it take others to get to the 64 ounce wayer and 60 g of protein. This is day 5 post op, not even close.

How long did it take others to get to the 64 ounce wayer and 60 g of protein. This is day 5 post op, not even close.
Hi Cindy, it took me about 2 months to reach this. In the beginning I could hardly eat or drink anything. I am 9 weeks post surgery now and am finally able to get my protein in with the Premier Protein shakes, and am almost able to get all of my water in. It still is hard though with the water since I either would eat enough or drink enough, but can't yet do both.

My surgery was on 12/6. I still struggle to get all of my protein in. I was doing good in the beginning and then my dietician told me I should only be having 1/2 shake. That's only 15g of protein. Since you just had surgery, don't push it yet. Your body is still getting used to your new, smaller tummy.

My surgery was on 12/6. I still struggle to get all of my protein in. I was doing good in the beginning and then my dietician told me I should only be having 1/2 shake. That's only 15g of protein. Since you just had surgery, don't push it yet. Your body is still getting used to your new, smaller tummy.
Hi Christine, I have a question for you. When you were told to only take 1/2 a shake, was that in one sitting? or in total? For me drinking one protein shake of 300 mls takes me 2-3 hours, but it gives me 30 g of protein. I couldn't even drink 1/2 of the drink at one time. I am curious because I dont know if I need to do things differently.

Hi Christine, I have a question for you. When you were told to only take 1/2 a shake, was that in one sitting? or in total? For me drinking one protein shake of 300 mls takes me 2-3 hours, but it gives me 30 g of protein. I couldn't even drink 1/2 of the drink at one time. I am curious because I dont know if I need to do things differently.
The 1/2 shake was in one sitting, but I was not able to drink more than a few sips until 2-3 weeks after surgery. The 1/2 shake was told to me at 6 weeks.

I just had surgery this past Monday. My doc told me to have five one ounce cups, fill two with protein shake and the other three with water or other appropriate fluids. I should sip all five ounces over an hour and then repeat. With this I've been managing to get in two full shakes a day with a total of 40 oz of fluid. It also takes me four hours to get one shake in.

Back