• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Exercise

3momchaos

I did a YouTube walking exercise video on Tuesday, and the results thus far are not good. All the video consisted of was walking at different speeds, so I thought that would be easy. While it was very easy, my abdomen, or part of it, has been killing me since Tuesday night. I also forgot to wear my abdominal binder while doing it, so that wasn’t smart on my part. It’s really just very sore, like I worked it too much, and this goes to show how much the ab muscles can be engaged without trying. I’m not going to worry about formal exercise for a while, and I’ll just focus on my protein and food intake.

It takes time. I sometimes had to do the exercises that were given to me at a slower pace - skipping a day in between. It's only recently that I feel like I can do things without getting sore which really is about on target for major surgery, which is what I wound up with after having some complications. I know when I had my knee replacements 15 years ago, 6 months was the magic time for me doing a lot better then too. It takes a lot longer to heal on the inside than what you see on the outside. I would suggest just doing regular walking for a while until you feel you can handle upping the speed. And start slow! :)

Several years ago, I went to a yoga studio and had an instructor I just loved. She was an amazing instructor and just so normal. I attended a couple of times a week for a couple of years until I acquired plantar faciitis and had to stop. The studio has subsequently closed. Recently, I searched YouTube and found Yoga with Adrienne and have restarted my practice. She has a 20 and 30 minute for Beginners and a 30 Day series. She's not too woo woo and I've found with the weightloss, yoga is easier and meditative. It will take some time and [keyword] practice to get where I was, but I'm so happy to get back to it!

Exercise is something you can take very slow. You don't have to push yourself very hard to get benefits. Exercise in our journey should be a careful and measured process that isn't considered a tool for weight loss, but a tool for overall health. Unless you are working out hours per day, the extra calorie burn is not going to make a significant (if any) difference in your weight loss process. Additionally, intense long term exercise can actually slow your metabolism down and exacerbate the "starvation mode" of your body, which then slows fat loss.

While exercise doesn't have much impact on weight loss, but it has a significant impact on other areas of health. Once cleared to exercise fully, you should focus on strength/resistance training to maintain muscle mass. A lot of people think eating protein "protects" us from muscle loss, and that is not the case. Protein is broken down into elements that build and repair tissue, but it doesn't protect muscle loss.

We need to try and have a fat to muscle loss ratio of 3:1 (3 pounds of fat lost to every pound of muscle). We are always going to have some muscle loss in this process, but we can minimize it with a fairly small amount of resistance exercise to stress and damage muscle tissues so it can grow and repair. That's where the protein helps out. Muscle does help with maintaining our metabolism and calorie burning. It's also important for general health and mobility as well, of course.

Walking is good for mobility, healing, circulation, digestion, and many other things. The physical therapist I've been working with on my bariatric team promotes HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), which is essentially doing a series of strength exercises at a pretty fast pace with little rest in between sets. A decent workout can be done in less than 20 minutes and it will not only work muscle but get the heart rate up which is good for the cardiovascular system and many other health benefits. Two or three times per week is all you need. I generally alternate between walking/jogging and HIIT workouts. The nice thing about HIIT is that it is flexible to your current fitness level. You do as much as you can, and whatever your "max" is at the moment is enough. As you gain strength and endurance you can do more in the same amount of time, etc.

Go slowly. If your bariatric team has a physical therapist, reach out to them to put a routine together for you that incorporates some strength training. You don't need any fancy equipment...body weight is enough, or adding in some things like resistance bands, etc. I use my body weight and resistance bands for the most part.

You are still early in the process, so there is no need to rush into any crazy exercise routines. Take it slow and do a little bit at a time. I just focused on walking (just increasing distance and pace slowly) for the first three months and then added in more strength training.

Good luck! No need to rush into anything! :)

Back