• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Exercising

L, welcome to the group. That is a question you really need to ask your doctor. Depending on the type of surgery you have and whether or not it is an open or laparoscopic procedure you will have restrictions, some as severe as not being able to drive a car for 30 days or walk up a flight of stairs. Your doctor knows better what condition you're going to be in. It is different for each person.

L, welcome to the group. That is a question you really need to ask your doctor. Depending on the type of surgery you have and whether or not it is an open or laparoscopic procedure you will have restrictions, some as severe as not being able to drive a car for 30 days or walk up a flight of stairs. Your doctor knows better what condition you're going to be in. It is different for each person.
My surgery was laparoscopic and it was 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I was given the go ahead to walk and go to the gym treadmill, legs etc...but no weights. My surgeon is on annual leave I've left messages but no response. Thanks for the welcome. I will be patient :rolleyes:

And when you are ready and able to exercise, the exercise you choose makes all the difference. But as it says at the end of this article I'm about to post, the best exercise for weight loss is the one you like the most.

Last edited:
And when you are ready and able to exercise, the exercise you choose next all the difference. But as it says at the end of this article I'm about to post, the best exercise for weight loss is the one you like the most.

I was so overweight and sedentary that I asked the doctor to refer me to physical therapy to get me started. I have been inactive for so long, he was glad to refer me. With a one-on-one physical therapist I am getting my stamina back up to think about walking and exercising.

I was so overweight and sedentary that I asked the doctor to refer me to physical therapy to get me started. I have been inactive for so long, he was glad to refer me. With a one-on-one physical therapist I am getting my stamina back up to think about walking and exercising.
That's awesome that you thought of that Tex! I'm sure others who read this could benefit from PT as well! :)

Walking, some weight training. I have cardiomyopathy so my doctor put the kibosh on heavy weight lifting. So resistance bands, weights from 3-25 pounds and a plethora of YouTube videos to exercise to. I also have spinal stenosis like a lot of people my age, which makes walking hard, so I do mainly low impact cardio in my living room. Between here, my nutritionist, Facebook support groups and other tools I hope to make headway. Almost too much info out there, isn't it? It can get confusing.

I was told all my restrictions were lifted at the 4-week mark. It may differ for each person depending on their situations, so certainly ask your doctor and physical therapist. I started incorporating them in at the 6-week mark and have no problems since then. Everyone will differ slightly, of course. Taking it slowly won't hurt anything. Exercise isn't that effective at burning fat more quickly anyway. It's overrated for weight loss, and underrated for all of the other health benefits. It's sold as a fat loss tool because that's what people want, but study after study has shown it makes little difference in how much weight you lose over the course of a year unless you are spending hours a day exercising, which is certainly fine and helpful if you can dedicate that much time to it. A lot of people can't sustain that long term though. Food choices are much more important.

Back