• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Exhausted pre op

Kimkimmer

Hi! I’ve been given my surgery date for the sleeve (March 29th) and I’m so excited (little nervous/scared). I started my 2 week pre-op diet and I’m on day 3. I feel terrible. Im exhausted, hungry, light headed, headaches… just yucky. I bought all of my pre op food from the bariatric center as they required. It is high protein low calorie/low carb. I am getting about 800 calories and 80 grams of protein a day. Is it normal to feel this way? I’m terrified I’m going to fail, not lose enough and they will cancel my surgery. Anyone had this experience or have any advice on how to work through it?

Welcome to the group and congrats on your upcoming surgery date. The pre-surgery diet can be pretty tough. Hopefully the symptoms you are feeling are from the drastic reduction in calories and subside as your body adjusts. Have you reached out to your bariatric center to let them know how you feel?

I wouldn't worry about them canceling your surgery as long as you follow their program, you should be fine. Good luck!

Definitely ask your team. Sometimes they use a number that doesn't realistically wean you off what you were eating before.

My surgeon picked a date and said, "Try to lose a few pounds before surgery." That was it.

I don't know if you're super obese or just 100 lbs overweight, but raising your awareness of healthy, fun eating prior to surgery is always good.

I remember thinking, "Wow I could be < .........> if I wasn't wasting time pigging out..."

For most of us making even a small change can feel like hell. Close your eyes, make a wish, and you're there.... Isn't that how dreams come true?

I would suggest sticking with whatever pre-op plan you’ve been given. You could literally ask every member of the group and I’m sure there are differences in everyone’s pre-op diet.

The light headed could be from lack of sodium. I was allowed to eat 3-4 pickle spears daily for the sodium.

Best of luck to you on this amazing life altering journey!!

Thank you All for the warm welcome and advice! I’m going to reach out to the center and just see if they have any suggestions. I’m 150 lbs overweight so maybe that is why I’m having these symptoms. I’m so ready to take my life back! I’ll try some pickle juice and see if maybe that helps. I appreciate you all taking the time to respond!

I remember my pre op and having a massive headache for the first week. I just attributed it to the sugar and carb withdrawal. The first couple of days were hell and I think I went through a jar of pickles a day the first two. But it does get better! Good luck and stick with it!

I had a 2 week pre-op diet, with the "food" given by my program as well. Mine was full liquid and 600 calories, 80g protein. My husband just did the same pre-op diet 6 weeks ago. It sucks. I was tired, he was tired. It's a really low amount of calories. But they want to shrink your liver for a safer surgery. I would recommend staying the course. You will feel better in a few days.

If you previously drank coffee or caffeinated sodas, that would part of the reason for the fatigue and the headaches. A much lower salt content can also play a part. Like I said, you'll adjust and feel better shortly. They aren't looking for a specific number of pounds to lose, but don't cheat because you think they won't know. You might get away with it, but you're only cheating yourself. And it will be that much easier to cheat on the post op diet.

Fully commit. You can do it and you are going to feel AMAZING in a few months. Keep the long term goal in mind. Best of luck

The support here has been amazing - thank you!!! I reached out to the dietician and she wants me to add in a boiled egg with salt each day so hopefully that helps. I am reclaiming my life in 9 days…. I got this!!! Thank you again for all the words of encouragement… sometimes you just need to hear it from others that are or have gone through the same thing!

The support here has been amazing - thank you!!! I reached out to the dietician and she wants me to add in a boiled egg with salt each day so hopefully that helps. I am reclaiming my life in 9 days…. I got this!!! Thank you again for all the words of encouragement… sometimes you just need to hear it from others that are or have gone through the same thing!

That's wonderful! 9 days will be here before you know it. I wish you all the best on your journey. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

I agree with "Suzannethemom" - day 3 is also what I was told could be the worst - I think there is a sugar/flour/carb withdrawal syndrome, I was told to expect to feel dragged out and "flu-ish". Your body is just not getting it's energy in the same way that it was before - used to be easy-peasy just suck up some glucose that you ate, and now it has to break down protein- ugh! Your body will get with the program (in fact, it probably already has since I am replying 4 days later!). My pre-op diet also suggested 1 cup of salty broth daily, and sometimes I drank more and that seemed to help a ton. Hope you are feeling better already!

Thank you All for the warm welcome and advice! I’m going to reach out to the center and just see if they have any suggestions. I’m 150 lbs overweight so maybe that is why I’m having these symptoms. I’m so ready to take my life back! I’ll try some pickle juice and see if maybe that helps. I appreciate you all taking the time to respond!
I am also 150 pounds overweight. I have made it a point to get in my 60 minutes of exercise 5x per week, despite low energy. I have a huge para esophageal hernia, so I'm finding it difficult to actually get 800 calories in. Who would've thought. My biggest challenge is constipation at this point. My surgery will be 4/12

I am also 150 pounds overweight. I have made it a point to get in my 60 minutes of exercise 5x per week, despite low energy. I have a huge para esophageal hernia, so I'm finding it difficult to actually get 800 calories in. Who would've thought. My biggest challenge is constipation at this point. My surgery will be 4/12
May I suggest you find some plant fiber, i.e. Benefiber (Metamucil is too harsh at this point). Take a couple spoonfuls in 8ozs of liquid. It stirs up to a clear & tasteless substance. I use Gatorade Zero. I started a couple weeks before surgery, and waited 1 week after surgery to restart taking it with my dr.'s permission. Trust me, constipation is the worst part of this restricted protein diet. Good luck!

Hi! I’ve been given my surgery date for the sleeve (March 29th) and I’m so excited (little nervous/scared). I started my 2 week pre-op diet and I’m on day 3. I feel terrible. Im exhausted, hungry, light headed, headaches… just yucky. I bought all of my pre op food from the bariatric center as they required. It is high protein low calorie/low carb. I am getting about 800 calories and 80 grams of protein a day. Is it normal to feel this way? I’m terrified I’m going to fail, not lose enough and they will cancel my surgery. Anyone had this experience or have any advice on how to work through it?
I too had the surgery March 29th? Went through very similar stuff. I think the body adjusts over time but hopefully things got better. :)

Without the roughage from fruit and vegetable, stool doesn't move properly. I never had constipation in my life until my liquid diet. That constipation was epic. It was one of my first posts here, many years ago. I always advised a fiber lax during the first few stages after that. My doc put me on a harsh chemical lax but I chose fiber because the chemical was too hard on me.

Back