• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Exhausted

PDJones

Hi All, I am 8days out of bypass surgery. I feel really good. No issues with protein shakes or cream soups.
The only horrible side effect is extreme exhaustion. I had to sit down to brush my teeth this morning, walking across the room, anything with standing and movement makes me tired.
Anyone else experience anything similar??

How on earth are you taking in 75 oz of water in a day.. I'm struggling getting water in and I'm 7 days post op. I have never even got the 64 recommend oz.
Nadia, there are a lot of ways you can get your water in. First thing to look at is what are you drinking during the day.
  • If you're drinking a lot of soda or coffee or other beverages, decide to have less and then have water instead.
  • Measure your water everyday. I use two - 1L bottles with those drinking spouts on top. 2 liters is the amount you should be having in a day. It's equivalent to something like 70 fluid ounces.
  • make sure you are doing something that brings you to the point of feeling hot and sweaty. That might be exercise, or dancing in front of the TV, but whatever it is you will want a drink of water afterward. Most of us drink during exercise as well.
  • you may be able to take in more water by sitting with a glass of water and spooning it into your mouth.
  • Anytime you are walking or vacuuming or gardening or shopping, have your water bottle with you.
  • I have I have a camping / hiking bladder that I can fill with water and then run the tube to my mouth and it has a bite valve I can chomp down on and get a drink of water whenever I feel it.
  • you can buy a mesh sling into which you can put a plastic water bottle with built in straw. Carry it like a newborn baby in your front and keep the straw in your mouth as you are moving around. Take a sip every few minutes
  • you may not enjoy tap water because it has so many minerals and lead and chlorine and fluoride in some cases, and just generally not have a good taste. It is absolutely worth it to get two and a half gallons of water at your local grocery store. Put it in your fridge and you can dole it out with its little spout.
  • Water has a taste, although many people don't think so. The purer the water, the more minerals it has in it and the more taste you will get. But you can also squirt lemon or lime into your water. Some people here actually buy these packets of flavored powder that they add to water to change the flavor to fruit, like strawberries and cherries. If that helps them to get the water in, I think it's great.
You just can't fail to get that water in. There are so many reasons why, but suffice it to say that if you do not drink enough water, your new digestive system will cause you to become dehydrated and like many before you, you will end up in the hospital on an IV until your liquid is replenished.

If you become constipated and you aren't drinking enough water you are really going to be in trouble. The incredibly solid, brick-like stool you will create may not even be able to be pushed out of you. You actually may end up in the emergency room having a bowel disimpaction.

I'm really lucky because I love water and have always carried a water bottle and find it easy to consume 2 liters of water a day. If you don't feel like drinking water you really need to work on changing that. It is absolutely essential for digestion and to prevent dehydration with your new plumbing.

Last edited:
Nadia, there are a lot of ways you can get your water in. First thing to look at is what are you drinking during the day.
  • If you're drinking a lot of soda or coffee or other beverages, decide to have less and then have water instead.
  • Measure your water everyday. I use 2 - 1 L bottles with those drinking spouts on top. 2 liters is the amount you should be having in a day. It's equivalent to something like 70 fluid ounces of anything else.
  • make sure you are doing something that brings you to the point of feeling hot and sweaty. That might be exercise, or dancing in front of the TV, but whatever it is you will want a drink of water afterward. For most of us we drink during exercise as well.
  • you may be able to you may be able to take in more water by sitting with a glass of water and spooning it into your mouth.
  • Anytime you are walking or vacuuming or gardening or shopping, have your water bottle with you.
  • I have I have a camping / hiking bladder that I can fill with water and then run the tube to my mouth and it has a bite valve I can chomp down on and get a drink of water whenever I feel it.
  • you can buy a mesh sling into which you can put a plastic water bottle with built in straw. Carry it like a newborn baby in your front and keep the straw in your mouth as you are moving around. Take a sip every few minutes
  • you you may not enjoy tap water because it has so many minerals and chlorine and fluoride in some cases and just generally not have a good taste. It is absolutely worth it to get two and a half gallons of water at your local grocery store. Put it in your fridge and you can dole it out with its little spout.
  • Water has a taste and many people don't think so. The pure the water the more minerals that has in it and the more taste you will get. But you can also squirt lemon or lime into your water and some people here actually buy these packets that's they add to water to change the flavor to fruits like strawberries and cherries. If that helps them to get the water in oh, I think it's great.
You just can't fail to get that water in. There are so many reasons why, but suffice it to say that if you do not drink enough water, your new digestive system will cause you to become dehydrated and like many before you, you will end up in the hospital on and Ivy until your liquid is replenished.

If you become constipated and you aren't drinking enough water you are really going to be in trouble. The incredibly solid, brick like stool you will create may not even be able to be pushed out of you. You actually may end up in the emergency room having a bowel disimpaction.

I'm really lucky because I love water and have always carried a water bottle and find it easy to consume 2 liters of water a day. If you don't feel like drinking water you really need to work on changing that. It is absolutely essential for digestion and to prevent dehydration with your new plumbing.
ThAnk you so much for the info!!! This is all new to me and I am adjusting. Thank you again.

I agree with the others about drinking enough water. Also if I was trying to do anything physical I would run out of gas real fast. I found if I drank some V8 for the carbs. it would help a lot. Be sure you are getting enough carbs to begin with. It helped me.
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try.
v8!! yess!! something salty! i'm so excited. i'm going to have this tomorrow!

Back