• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Exhausted

I found if I drank some V8 for the carbs. it would help a lot. Be sure you are getting enough carbs to begin with. It helped me.
V8 juice is important on a lot of levels. Now if you're diabetic or have high blood pressure you might want to ask your doctor or nutritionist before you try it. But they have these little cans that have all vegetables you need in a day and the amounts are equivalent to the actual vegetable themselves. Even liquefied, they still have a lot of roughage. So you also get the benefit of your bowels moving more more smoothly than before. V8 vegetable juice is vegetable juice, it's not tomato juice, it's vegetable juice. It's also really low in calories. For a while I was having a V8 every single day.

You also need to remember that you are not getting the vitamins and minerals that you were when you were eating a variety of foods. Once you are able to start taking vitamins your exhaustion will also improve. I had a RYGB and I too have gone through what you are describing. I was having trouble balancing getting in my required protein and my required liquids. I went to Costco and for $14.95, got a case of Protein2o. It is protein water that has 20g of protein per 16.9 oz bottle and only 90 calories. So now I am getting my liquid and my required protein. I am now in the pureed stage and since I am able to eat pureed foods, I add non-flavored protein powder to my food when I am pureeing it. Getting my protein is not the problem any longer, so the protein water is a Godsend in helping me with both issues. Best of luck to you.

Thank you. I am the complete opposite. ITs crazy how this process forces you to face some of your worst habits.
Amen sista! I was not much of a water drinker before surgery (I'm 7 days post op) and knew this would be a challenge... biggest struggle is the sipping...oh the endless SIPPING... I'm a chugger by nature and man it's a tough switch...but I'm focusing in the near time on liquid being 60oz/day even if the actual water component of it is less...I'm still on protein shakes so figure I can count em as protein AND liquid right? ;)

I'm focusing in the near time on liquid being 60oz/day even if the actual water component of it is less...I'm still on protein shakes so figure I can count em as protein AND liquid right? ;)

Actually, no, you cannot break down what you're eating into liquids and solids and count them individually and then tally them up. Your water consumption is incredibly important and you cannot count water that is in the food you are eating. You have to count it as water you are drinking. If you don't drink enough after surgery you are in serious danger of dehydration and a number of other related problems, including less weight loss.

I drink at least two and usually three 1 liter bottles of water every day. And my journey has been a profound success story.

Everybody complains about the water. EVERYBODY! But this is one of the very few things that is required of you, that you have to work on. It's unnatural in our time to drink so much water because there is so much other stuff available to drink.

But the water is critical to success. You really have to get used to drinking it. Eventually, you will be glad you did. Your complexion will improve, the weight will come off faster and over a longer period of time. Your health will improve astonishingly.

We do not drink the amount of water we should drink. So take it very seriously and if you need to train yourself to drink more water, do it before surgery. The weight you are required to lose before surgery will also increase. And it's all because of water.

A lot of our members here have shared their tricks and techniques that helped increase the amount of water they were drinking. You should do a search through the posts to read about them. Some of them are absolutely brilliant.

People who increase their water consumption to the recommended amount postoperatively do better in every way. In addition to drinking more water, you are learning new ways of eating, including your protein vs. carbohydrates imbalance. The surgery is only a tool. It supports the lifestyle change you need to make.

Drink more water and see what happens.

Actually, no, you cannot break down what you're eating into liquids and solids and count them individually and then tally them up. Your water consumption is incredibly important and you cannot count water that is in the food you are eating. You have to count it as water you are drinking. If you don't drink enough after surgery you are in serious danger of dehydration and a number of other related problems, including less weight loss.

I drink at least two and usually three 1 liter bottles of water every day. And my journey has been a profound success story.

Everybody complains about the water. EVERYBODY! But this is one of the very few things that is required of you, that you have to work on. It's unnatural in our time to drink so much water because there is so much other stuff available to drink.

But the water is critical to success. You really have to get used to drinking it. Eventually, you will be glad you did. Your complexion will improve, the weight will come off faster and over a longer period of time. Your health will improve astonishingly.

We do not drink the amount of water we should drink. So take it very seriously and if you need to train yourself to drink more water, do it before surgery. The weight you are required to lose before surgery will also increase. And it's all because of water.

A lot of our members here have shared their tricks and techniques that helped increase the amount of water they were drinking. You should do a search through the posts to read about them. Some of them are absolutely brilliant.

People who increase their water consumption to the recommended amount postoperatively do better in every way. In addition to drinking more water, you are learning new ways of eating, including your protein vs. carbohydrates imbalance. The surgery is only a tool. It supports the lifestyle change you need to make.

Drink more water and see what happens.
right now I'm only on liquids and getting my protein only through shakes...I'm drinking 70-80g of protein in about 45oz of liquid shake(s).... and trying to get 20-30oz of water in between...with just sipping (which I also have to master - I'm a chugger by nature) I'm trying to choose a protein shake when I might want just water....but I totally hear you on the importance of water intake - I knew it would one of my big challenges....just trying to work through how to manage ALL the various components in establishing my new daily life routines...I will take all the advice to heart and figure out how to keep increasing the sipping!

Hi All, I am 8days out of bypass surgery. I feel really good. No issues with protein shakes or cream soups.
The only horrible side effect is extreme exhaustion. I had to sit down to brush my teeth this morning, walking across the room, anything with standing and movement makes me tired.
Anyone else experience anything similar??
Yes I am glad I am not alone. because I am 5 days post op and very tired as well....I was wondering if any one else experienced that as well

Back