• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Extreme Anxiety About Surgery - Help!

kb1339

Hi all! I have surgery scheduled for the 28th of this month. I have a LOT of anxiety thinking about the day. Because of Covid, I will have to recover by myself, and stay in the hospital by myself. I’m afraid of getting sick or being by myself. I’m afraid of the recovery being harder than I’m expecting.
I also made the decision only to tell a few people about my surgery. Will I lose weight to fast and will others be suspicious? Will I always seem weird when I eat out?
Any advice would be extremely appreciated. I know I’m just psyching myself out, but I can’t help but be extremely nervous.

Hi, what's your name? Welcome to the group. I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier but your post actually went below the line of posts that show in my list and I just ran across it because I clicked on new posts and there was. You seem to have a grip on this because you know that you're psyching yourself out.

I don't think you need to worry about COVID. People are almost over-aware of it by now. Hospitals are taking extra precautions because of liability. The pandemic is out there in public. You're safe in your home and in the hospital. I never go out without my mask and I also wear latex gloves everywhere. And I carry a plastic bag of Clorox wipes and I don't spend a lot of time interacting with people, even if we are both wearing masks. I live in Seattle which was where the first case of coronavirus occured. I didn't know about it for a couple months and I'm really lucky I didn't get it but I also didn't hang out with the population where it was occurring. As soon as I learned about it, I got my mask and gloves, and as soon as I could oh, I was tested for it and came up negative.

You are worried about being home alone after the surgery. That is a valid concern. But there are a lot of people here who have gone home alone and managed to take care of themselves. When you get a full picture of what's going to happen, including things you should stock up on in your cupboards, then start preparing for your post-operative eating stages. That will really take a load off. Start taking a fiber laxative two weeks before surgery so that your stool will be soft enough to pass through your new digestive system. Fiber laxative is also known to cure diarrhea.

When you get home, just be easy on yourself. You are on the road as long as you stick to the plan, which is really quite easy because most people don't feel that much like eating for a while after surgery. You are going to succeed but you do have to do a few things.

The temptation will be to stay in bed and rest. But what you should be doing is making sure you get as much water in as you can. Try for a liter everyday. Chill it in the refrigerator if you like it cold and then sip it all day long, whether you keep the bottle next to your bed or your chair or in a sling across your body. Just don't stop drinking water because dehydration is one of the top 10 things that can go wrong after the surgery. And you do not want to go back to the hospital with that. Also constipation is no joke which is why I recommend the fiber laxatives. You also don't want to have to go to the hospital and have your bowel disimpacted, or spend an agonizing 24 hours on and off the pot like I spent when I returned home.

You absolutely must get up and walk, even if you only walk around your house in a circle inside. You have to keep walking to keep your blood flowing and make sure that it doesn't have a chance to clot. A blood clot can occur in many many cases of surgeries and this is one of them. You have to keep moving. But don't think you have to go to the gym or get workout equipment for home or start doing any exercise at all. Just walk. Keep it up for a few weeks and then you can start introducing more activity. Make sure your doctor provides to you an abdominal binder, and inquire about compression socks as well or any other sort of compression garment you may need.

No one can predict your weight loss, but you will lose weight. Make sure that when you are with other people, you make a big deal about what you are eating and how you're trying to eat more nutritiously and trying to lose weight. Then you don't have to say anything else. You can be as private as you want to be. This decision is yours and you are the only person who has the right to know about it. As you lose weight, you will inspire others. But my experience is that no matter how much I inspired my siblings and family, it didn't change their eating Behavior at all. But you may eventually want to share with one person who comes to you and begs you to help her lose weight. If she's morbidly obese, you can recommend bypass surgery and you can share your story if you feel like it. I had a morbidly obese sister who has since died. She was so sweet to me and so eager to know how I did it and always telling me how great I looked. But I didn't tell her the truth. I did send her my diet and some recipes but she had such an array of health problems, nothing would have helped her except the surgery, and she had made a point at a dinner that that's one thing she would never do.

As to eating out and any other way you eat after surgery, that's going to be up to your body more than your mind. Your body is going to make you stop eating at a certain point or you will become very ill with dumping or just needing to vomit because the food is coming back up your esophagus. So start taking small portions or just order side dishes. When you are in a restaurant and you order food, make sure you tell everybody that you are trying to lose weight and you are not going to order the Grand Slam breakfast. It will make sense to them and they will never suspect.

I am so excited for you coming up on your surgery date in a few weeks. I think you're going to be very excited and nervous, but don't be afraid to ask your doctor for a sedative. Sometimes the nervousness can just be overwhelming and any doctor who knows you're having this procedure will be happy to give you a short-term prescription of sedatives. You will especially want to take a sedative before you go to the hospital on surgery day and tell the nurse. They're going to come in and give you a sedative before they take you to the OR to give you general anesthesia. But they don't want to give you too much so make sure you tell them exactly what you have in your system

Aside from all that it sounds like you're doing great! So just stick around, ask questions, let us support you and read through the postings. We would not be here in this support group if we weren't happy about what we had done. There is so much joy we share here among each other. And we are never short on showing love or support for each other when it is needed. How about you let us get to know you?

Hi all! I have surgery scheduled for the 28th of this month. I have a LOT of anxiety thinking about the day. Because of Covid, I will have to recover by myself, and stay in the hospital by myself. I’m afraid of getting sick or being by myself. I’m afraid of the recovery being harder than I’m expecting.
I also made the decision only to tell a few people about my surgery. Will I lose weight to fast and will others be suspicious? Will I always seem weird when I eat out?
Any advice would be extremely appreciated. I know I’m just psyching myself out, but I can’t help but be extremely nervous.
Covid-19 is a real concern, but it shouldn't control you. Take the precautions (Mask, distance wash hands and careful about common surfaces in public).
After my surgery, I was able to take care of myself, though my son and wife were there for me. If you have laparoscopic surgery, the recovery is pretty quick.
The road to recovery and a successful future is movement. Get up and walk around your home ASAP, move outdoors ASAP and walk. I had back surgery almost 40 years ago, and I was excited when I was able to walk all the way to the mailbox at my sister's house (a total of about 50 feet each way!!). After my RNY bypass, I was able to walk that far while still in the hospital. After my first trip around the floor, I started a second trip and the nurses were concerned. The Bariatric Coordinator (Dawn, she was great!!) told them to let me try. I made it halfway before I got too tired. A few hours later (I don't sleep well in hospitals), I made it almost 3 laps. I feel that those early trips around the floor were the foundation of my fast recovery. YMMV
Eating out in these times shouldn't be a concern. Pass on eating out and blame Covid-19. Bring food. Snack openly and when others ask about why you aren't eating much for lunch, say you must have snacked too much! A Win-Win!
As others notice your weight loss, point out the water, reduced food intake and the extra walking!
Start the day drinking water first, then proteins then worry about getting other foods. Follow your team's advice on when to add foods, but I was told that most hospital admissions after WLS are directly attributable to dehydration.
We all had (have) concerns and apprehensions before and even after surgery (read about people's stalls!!). This is not cutting edge medicine, it has been successfully done for decades. Try to relax and get ready for the best years of your life ahead!!

My surgery is on the 26th and the closer it gets the more anxious I’ve become. I’m really excited about this opportunity, and I know the commitment that I am signing up for. But knowing that mentally doesn’t necessarily keep the demons at bay. I know that I can do this, but thoughts creep through about the surgery itself and complications, recovery, and long term success. I will have help after I get home, but my husband just found out this week that he has to start traveling for work again the week after my surgery. I don’t mind that he has to go, and I feel confident in my ability to care for myself and kids, but he’s going to a COVID red zone, and that scares me. I told myself I wouldn’t be cooking for my family for a few weeks because I want to rest and feel good about being back around food, but that’s changing too. I just have to keep telling myself that I can do this, and that in a year from now I can look back and enjoy the best decision I’ve ever made for my health.

You can succeed. This is an extra-crazy year that has raised almost everyone's sensitivity to major life changes. The risks are real, but in the grand scheme of things, the risk of COVID or serious long term issues from surgery are very small. I know you know that, but it is worth repeating. The pain is real, but again, it is temporary and it is a tiny, tiny, TINY part of your long term journey. Time is relative, of course, so when you are painful, time seems to slow down, but you will get through it. Use heating pads across your shoulders to assist in comfort and helping CO2 from the surgery leave your body.

You can get through this on your own. It is absolutely possible. You will have to take charge of yourself and follow your bariatric team's instructions as best as you can. If they say "walk as much as you can" then do it. For me, walking really seemed to move my recovery at light speed. Every person's body is different, but they recommend walking for most people, so take that to heart.

Follow the post-op diet recommendations as closely as you possibly can. Try to be perfect. We are imperfect beings, but when we strive for perfection, we can achieve great things!! You can totally do this.

Focus on yourself and not what other people are doing or experiencing. That doesn't mean you can't learn from others. Of course you can, but your physiology is yours and no one else's. There will be fast weight loss periods, slow weight loss periods and no weight loss periods, and it is all totally natural. If you follow the post-op plan, make good, nutritious food choices, maintain a calorie deficit (at recommended levels), and move more or exercise, the fat will burn. You will reach your goals.

Don't focus on reaching your aspirational goal weight in a certain amount of time. I gained weight for 30 years, I can't expect to get it all of in 6 months, or a year or two years. It's possible, but I can't rely on it because I don't know how my body will react along the way. But I know I can get there.

Regarding who you tell and who you don't tell. That's totally up to you. I told the people I work closely with right after I had the surgery. What each of them think about it is irrelevant to my success, and that goes for anyone. What they think is irrelevant to your success. You are the only relevant piece of the puzzle in reaching your goals. If people who don't know I had surgery ask, I just tell them the truth: I had surgery to help with my weight loss, and I've radically changed the way I eat, and I exercise frequently. No matter what they say after that, I always say it has been a positive experience for me. If they say they know someone gained all their weight back, I tell them I do too, but that more than 80% keep most or all of their weight off for the long term after surgery, and that is the group I plan to be in. If they start anything off with "I heard....hearsay" I always follow up with "I know....facts."

How I respond, is not going to be how everyone responds, of course. We all have our reasons for how we deal with our interpersonal relations afterward. It's totally up to you, but don't let anyone discourage you!! You are in charge of this journey, and no one else.

Each of us can be successful in this journey. You can be successful!

Welcome to the group!!

I had GB 1/22/2020 - like you, I was very selective on who I told. Which surgery are you having done? Everyone who has WLS will lose weight differently.

Some people may notice you're losing weight some people are naturally nosey and get all up in your business. Others may not notice anything. That's just how people are.

You CAN have surgery and recover in the hospital with out your support system around you. It may be difficult - but you decided to have WLS - so that seems like you want a healthier lifestyle / change. YOU CAN DO IT!!! You may not get sick.

As for eating out - it will be interesting. We took my mom and dad out for her birthday yesterday. We went to Texas Road House. There was 7 of us. My youngest daughter, Victoria (I call her Toria), and I shared a plate. She ordered the steak and grilled shrimp it came with a salad and. I had a 3oz serving of steak - 2 pieces of grilled shrimp - a couple bites of salad and small serving of baked potato. Toria ate the rest.

You've got this!! Best of luck on your life altering new journey!

M
Hi, what's your name? Welcome to the group. I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier but your post actually went below the line of posts that show in my list and I just ran across it because I clicked on new posts and there was. You seem to have a grip on this because you know that you're psyching yourself out.

I don't think you need to worry about COVID. People are almost over-aware of it by now. Hospitals are taking extra precautions because of liability. The pandemic is out there in public. You're safe in your home and in the hospital. I never go out without my mask and I also wear latex gloves everywhere. And I carry a plastic bag of Clorox wipes and I don't spend a lot of time interacting with people, even if we are both wearing masks. I live in Seattle which was where the first case of coronavirus occured. I didn't know about it for a couple months and I'm really lucky I didn't get it but I also didn't hang out with the population where it was occurring. As soon as I learned about it, I got my mask and gloves, and as soon as I could oh, I was tested for it and came up negative.

You are worried about being home alone after the surgery. That is a valid concern. But there are a lot of people here who have gone home alone and managed to take care of themselves. When you get a full picture of what's going to happen, including things you should stock up on in your cupboards, then start preparing for your post-operative eating stages. That will really take a load off. Start taking a fiber laxative two weeks before surgery so that your stool will be soft enough to pass through your new digestive system. Fiber laxative is also known to cure diarrhea.

When you get home, just be easy on yourself. You are on the road as long as you stick to the plan, which is really quite easy because most people don't feel that much like eating for a while after surgery. You are going to succeed but you do have to do a few things.

The temptation will be to stay in bed and rest. But what you should be doing is making sure you get as much water in as you can. Try for a liter everyday. Chill it in the refrigerator if you like it cold and then sip it all day long, whether you keep the bottle next to your bed or your chair or in a sling across your body. Just don't stop drinking water because dehydration is one of the top 10 things that can go wrong after the surgery. And you do not want to go back to the hospital with that. Also constipation is no joke which is why I recommend the fiber laxatives. You also don't want to have to go to the hospital and have your bowel disimpacted, or spend an agonizing 24 hours on and off the pot like I spent when I returned home.

You absolutely must get up and walk, even if you only walk around your house in a circle inside. You have to keep walking to keep your blood flowing and make sure that it doesn't have a chance to clot. A blood clot can occur in many many cases of surgeries and this is one of them. You have to keep moving. But don't think you have to go to the gym or get workout equipment for home or start doing any exercise at all. Just walk. Keep it up for a few weeks and then you can start introducing more activity. Make sure your doctor provides to you an abdominal binder, and inquire about compression socks as well or any other sort of compression garment you may need.

No one can predict your weight loss, but you will lose weight. Make sure that when you are with other people, you make a big deal about what you are eating and how you're trying to eat more nutritiously and trying to lose weight. Then you don't have to say anything else. You can be as private as you want to be. This decision is yours and you are the only person who has the right to know about it. As you lose weight, you will inspire others. But my experience is that no matter how much I inspired my siblings and family, it didn't change their eating Behavior at all. But you may eventually want to share with one person who comes to you and begs you to help her lose weight. If she's morbidly obese, you can recommend bypass surgery and you can share your story if you feel like it. I had a morbidly obese sister who has since died. She was so sweet to me and so eager to know how I did it and always telling me how great I looked. But I didn't tell her the truth. I did send her my diet and some recipes but she had such an array of health problems, nothing would have helped her except the surgery, and she had made a point at a dinner that that's one thing she would never do.

As to eating out and any other way you eat after surgery, that's going to be up to your body more than your mind. Your body is going to make you stop eating at a certain point or you will become very ill with dumping or just needing to vomit because the food is coming back up your esophagus. So start taking small portions or just order side dishes. When you are in a restaurant and you order food, make sure you tell everybody that you are trying to lose weight and you are not going to order the Grand Slam breakfast. It will make sense to them and they will never suspect.

I am so excited for you coming up on your surgery date in a few weeks. I think you're going to be very excited and nervous, but don't be afraid to ask your doctor for a sedative. Sometimes the nervousness can just be overwhelming and any doctor who knows you're having this procedure will be happy to give you a short-term prescription of sedatives. You will especially want to take a sedative before you go to the hospital on surgery day and tell the nurse. They're going to come in and give you a sedative before they take you to the OR to give you general anesthesia. But they don't want to give you too much so make sure you tell them exactly what you have in your system

Aside from all that it sounds like you're doing great! So just stick around, ask questions, let us support you and read through the postings. We would not be here in this support group if we weren't happy about what we had done. There is so much joy we share here among each other. And we are never short on showing love or support for each other when it is needed. How about you let us get to know you?
y nam e

My name is Kaitlyn! I appreciate everyone’s responses so much. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer every one of my fears. I really appreciate it. I am 28 years old and have tried every diet out there with no success. I struggle badly with panic disorder, and have used that as an excuse not to get my health in check. I decided to put my anxiety aside and take the next step to getting healthy. I’m nervous for the surgery but way more nervous for the recovery.

Thank you so much!! I’m getting more and more comfortable as I read everyone’s posts on the forum :) I’m getting the gastric sleeve.

I have a daughter that had the gastric sleeve surgery in Egypt. She didn't speak their language and the Dr. who did her surgery didn't speak English. She met an uber/cab driver that spoke some English - he drove my daughter to the hospital to have surgery and stayed with her in the recovery area AND he was calling me and giving me updates on how her surgery went. Then he drove her back to work all in the same day. She's lost a total of 129 pounds as of yesterday.

You truly have got this!

M

y nam e

My name is Kaitlyn! I appreciate everyone’s responses so much. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer every one of my fears. I really appreciate it. I am 28 years old and have tried every diet out there with no success. I struggle badly with panic disorder, and have used that as an excuse not to get my health in check. I decided to put my anxiety aside and take the next step to getting healthy. I’m nervous for the surgery but way more nervous for the recovery.

My daughter that had surgery in Egypt is 28. Make sure you're up and moving and sipping water and/or any other liquids your surgical team allows.

Nice to meet you Kaitlyn! You are so young and that means you are so smart to choose this time in your life to take this step. I was twice as old as you when I had mine. I wish I could go back in time and have it when I was 40. That was the age I was when I lost control of my weight.

I also suffer from extreme panic disorder, as well as PTSD and insomnia. I have been in therapy for 50 years and have been medicated here and there. I have even done time in the Hospital. I have a lead on a new approach which I'm going to be trying this fall. I would be happy to speak with you privately via direct message and let you know how things go with me. Just stay here, and stay in touch, and let us help make the most out of your journey

Hello , I had my surgery 2 months ago and had the exact same fears you are having. First covid is scary but this is going to stick around for a while and I work at an OBGYN and I started thinking the whole world is having surgery’s and having babies and doing other surgery’s . If surgery was a high risk they would shut it down like they did before ? I felt telling myself that . Our obgyn doctor said that the hospital are always super clean but now due to covid they are taking so many more measures to help keep everyone safe and healthy.I left the hospital covid free . I was also scared that my husband couldn’t be in there with me but honestly after surgery all I did the first day was sleep it off since I was on so much pain medicine but thinking about it I’m happy that I was able to be there to be able to get my thoughts together to adjust myself and I couldn’t wait for my husband to pick me up the next day . My poor husband would have been stuck in a chair for a whole night and a part of the next day just watching me slee. I was able to call him every chance I was able to get up and feel well enough to talk by the time I was ready to talk and see my family it was the next day and they picked me up and I was home . It all happened so fast. Also I too only told a few people at my work and after I went back at 4 weeks they did notice a difference in my face and arm areas and when they said I looked good and looked like I was losing weight I just smiled and said thank you . You don’t need to explain to anyone it’s your choice and if they want to assume or think anything different then it’s on them but you don’t have to answer to anyone . Last thing is about eating out , we don’t go to restaurant right now we live in California and they just opening dinning areas but we just bring out food home but when they say you will get full super fast oh boy that is true ! I take 4-5 bits and I’m so full I feel like I just ate 5 burgers fries a milkshake and a soda. That fullness filing is real . I would suggest maybe not getting any sides or sharing with your partner and if anything you can always take home left overs and eat it another day . I think the only difference is that you won’t be able to get to eat 3 different things like before I used to get an appetizer and my full meal with fries and a drink. Now I only get 1 mine meal like for example I’ll get a piece of chicken and get a spoon of my husbands veggies and that would be way more then enough . I would have the rest of the chicken home because I would only eat 4-5 bites. Now more I think about what I really want and not listen to my fatty side that wants 4 different meal options.also takes forever for me to eat and I can’t drink until 30 mins after so I always get water to take home . Sorry if anything is spelled wrong . I wrote this story on my cellphone and I still have some chubby fingers haha

Hi, Kaitlyn. Welcome to the group. I had my surgery during the first week they opened up my area for elective surgery so I understand fully your CoVid/alone in the hospital concerns. It was surprisingly okay. You can skype and honestly, you're healing so it's not like you want to "hang out" anyway. At least I didn't. As for recovery, everyone is different. But I had much less pain than I was expecting and I didn't have any problem getting/keeping liquids down in the hospital or when I got home. The best advice I can give you is to follow instructions. Every issue I've had has been through my own errors. Also, you are going to be amazed with how great you'll feel very soon. So hang in there. You got this.

Hi Kaitlyn. Welcome! I don't know that I have anything more to add that hasn't been said already but I wanted to welcome you and wish you luck. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. There's a lot of good information here too, so peruse the posts. I saw one the other day that had a useful shopping list for pre-surgery patients. Good luck!

Hello , I had my surgery 2 months ago and had the exact same fears you are having. First covid is scary but this is going to stick around for a while and I work at an OBGYN and I started thinking the whole world is having surgery’s and having babies and doing other surgery’s . If surgery was a high risk they would shut it down like they did before ? I felt telling myself that . Our obgyn doctor said that the hospital are always super clean but now due to covid they are taking so many more measures to help keep everyone safe and healthy.I left the hospital covid free . I was also scared that my husband couldn’t be in there with me but honestly after surgery all I did the first day was sleep it off since I was on so much pain medicine but thinking about it I’m happy that I was able to be there to be able to get my thoughts together to adjust myself and I couldn’t wait for my husband to pick me up the next day . My poor husband would have been stuck in a chair for a whole night and a part of the next day just watching me slee. I was able to call him every chance I was able to get up and feel well enough to talk by the time I was ready to talk and see my family it was the next day and they picked me up and I was home . It all happened so fast. Also I too only told a few people at my work and after I went back at 4 weeks they did notice a difference in my face and arm areas and when they said I looked good and looked like I was losing weight I just smiled and said thank you . You don’t need to explain to anyone it’s your choice and if they want to assume or think anything different then it’s on them but you don’t have to answer to anyone . Last thing is about eating out , we don’t go to restaurant right now we live in California and they just opening dinning areas but we just bring out food home but when they say you will get full super fast oh boy that is true ! I take 4-5 bits and I’m so full I feel like I just ate 5 burgers fries a milkshake and a soda. That fullness filing is real . I would suggest maybe not getting any sides or sharing with your partner and if anything you can always take home left overs and eat it another day . I think the only difference is that you won’t be able to get to eat 3 different things like before I used to get an appetizer and my full meal with fries and a drink. Now I only get 1 mine meal like for example I’ll get a piece of chicken and get a spoon of my husbands veggies and that would be way more then enough . I would have the rest of the chicken home because I would only eat 4-5 bites. Now more I think about what I really want and not listen to my fatty side that wants 4 different meal options.also takes forever for me to eat and I can’t drink until 30 mins after so I always get water to take home . Sorry if anything is spelled wrong . I wrote this story on my cellphone and I still have some chubby fingers haha
This is SO helpful. Thank you so much. And good luck to you!!

Hi, Kaitlyn. Welcome to the group. I had my surgery during the first week they opened up my area for elective surgery so I understand fully your CoVid/alone in the hospital concerns. It was surprisingly okay. You can skype and honestly, you're healing so it's not like you want to "hang out" anyway. At least I didn't. As for recovery, everyone is different. But I had much less pain than I was expecting and I didn't have any problem getting/keeping liquids down in the hospital or when I got home. The best advice I can give you is to follow instructions. Every issue I've had has been through my own errors. Also, you are going to be amazed with how great you'll feel very soon. So hang in there. You got this.
Thank you so much. And good luck to you!!!!

I was super anxious as well however the anesthesiologist gave me something to relax before they even did anything a honestly all I remember was them telling me they were strapping my legs and arms down and why and then I was out. The relaxing agent (fentenal) knocked me out before the actual medication did and I was fine after that. The recover isn't bad at all. Like somebody else noted, the first day I just wanted to sleep as well. My spouse came to see me during visiting hours thanks to Covid but honestly I was only awake enough to throw up at their feet once and then pretty much fell back to sleep. Your pretty exhausted and woke frequently by staff to take meds and do vitals that you want to just sleep.

I posted a link in this article.

Last edited:
Back