• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Fasting question

Each program has different rules for both pre-op and post op diets. I had to do 2 weeks of full liquid diet before surgery. The point of the pre-op diet is to shrink your liver so it does not visually get in the way of the surgeon. It also gives you a nice running start, weight wise, since you most likely will come home from the hospital weighing more than you did when you went in due to the IV fluids.

Each program has different rules for both pre-op and post op diets. I had to do 2 weeks of full liquid diet before surgery. The point of the pre-op diet is to shrink your liver so it does not visually get in the way of the surgeon. It also gives you a nice running start, weight wise, since you most likely will come home from the hospital weighing more than you did when you went in due to the IV fluids.
Thank you

What do you mean, "fasting?" To fast is to eat no food at all. No one here has been asked to fast.

What I've read is that the pre-op diet is a strict regulation of types of food.
As far as I’m aware of anyone getting bypass surgery must be on a liquid diet for a minimum time of 3 days. Many drink a protein drink for that period.

I didn’t do any preop liquid diet. My surgeon couldn’t risk my BMI dropping under 40 because my insurance could have retroactively denied coverage and I was right on the line. It all depends on the person and surgeon.

Really...I didn’t think about all the IV fluids and how they gonna pump me up with more liquid so I’m gonna weigh more when I leave the hospital then I did when I walked in the door? That is crazy!

As far as I’m aware of anyone getting bypass surgery must be on a liquid diet for a minimum time of 3 days. Many drink a protein drink for that period.
There's usually a pre-op diet, and it is cleansing and strict, in part to lose a few pounds so it's easier for the surgeon to maneuver. But food is allowed, according to each clinic's design. That's not fasting. I took you literally, meaning nothing but water, which is a fast. I didn't have any guidelines. Doc just suggested I should try to lose a few pounds.

The post-op diet is stricter, usually liquid for a week or two. Then pureed foods, then soft foods, gradually adding in more solids in controlled amounts until your new digestive system can handle a regular diet. Never a fast. Fasts are extremely harmful and your body will start taking nutrients from muscle and tissue and fat. WLS is a tool that allows you to eat healthy foods in smaller amounts. But for the new plumbing to work, the post-op phase is gentle, for healing.

Back