• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Feel like I cheated

wsmith0914

I had sleeve surgery Monday and have been on the clear liquid diet since Tuesday. This evening I ate a couple teaspoons of mashed potatoes, a very small piece of roast (1/2 forkful) chewed up very good and a sugar cookie about the size of a nickel. Did I screw up?

I had sleeve surgery Monday and have been on the clear liquid diet since Tuesday. This evening I ate a couple teaspoons of mashed potatoes, a very small piece of roast (1/2 forkful) chewed up very good and a sugar cookie about the size of a nickel. Did I screw up?

Well my surgeon stressed over and over to have no solid food for 3 wks because the new stomach pouch can tear open and your stomach contents can spill into you and you can die. Even taking too large of a swig of water can rupture the tummy. After 3 wks the new stomach is healed but you still have to be careful or you may throw up. I wasn't allowed any meat until after 6 wks. Before 6 wks I could have fish. I could have loose mashed potatoes after 3 wks. Try to stick to your surgeon's diet plan, it is there for the best recovery possible. GOOD LUCK!!!

Well my surgeon stressed over and over to have no solid food for 3 wks because the new stomach pouch can tear open and your stomach contents can spill into you and you can die. Even taking too large of a swig of water can rupture the tummy. After 3 wks the new stomach is healed but you still have to be careful or you may throw up. I wasn't allowed any meat until after 6 wks. Before 6 wks I could have fish. I could have loose mashed potatoes after 3 wks. Try to stick to your surgeon's diet plan, it is there for the best recovery possible. GOOD LUCK!!!

First of all, if by some weird change you develop peritonitis from a tear / leak the changes if dying these days are pretty slim. I hate scare tactics. My surgeon and I covered this issue in great detail because my mother developed peritonitis back in the late 1959 after giving birth to my oldest sister and survived. Back in 1959 she was used as a guinea pig for IV antibiotics and the first patient in Florida to receive IV antibiotic infusions..

IF you were to tear your pouch you would have some pain and other symptoms that would give you a gppd idea that something is wrong...

Yes you did screw up, especially in the beginning that's worse than further down the road.

You cannot allow food to rule your life. Please get in touch with your triggers.

You need to take this time to get your food-I-tude in check. Otherwise why did you have the surgery?

It is not a magical fix... It is a tool you need to learn to work with, refine and make work for you.

Sorry for the Soap Box. I personally take this very seriously. It is all about my health. I am tired of being tired, I am tired of NOT being able to do things I love.

I am tired of food ruling my life.

It is imperative that you do so...

I am not about using fear, guilt, bribes and other cotton candy tactics to motivate people, that just reads into all of the other issues and walls we build in order to avoid the real issues at hand.

I can promise you it is a day to day battle that is worth fighting, because you are worth the fight and you need to realize that..

Learn your triggers. Stop and think about why you are grabbing for food when your not truly hungry. Embrace those nasty beasties... The Old adage, Keep your friends close, but keep your enemy closer will help you win the battle against the overeating / unnecessary eating food demons..

First of all, if by some weird change you develop peritonitis from a tear / leak the changes if dying these days are pretty slim. I hate scare tactics. My surgeon and I covered this issue in great detail because my mother developed peritonitis back in the late 1959 after giving birth to my oldest sister and survived. Back in 1959 she was used as a guinea pig for IV antibiotics and the first patient in Florida to receive IV antibiotic infusions..

IF you were to tear your pouch you would have some pain and other symptoms that would give you a gppd idea that something is wrong...

Yes you did screw up, especially in the beginning that's worse than further down the road.

You cannot allow food to rule your life. Please get in touch with your triggers.

You need to take this time to get your food-I-tude in check. Otherwise why did you have the surgery?

It is not a magical fix... It is a tool you need to learn to work with, refine and make work for you.

Sorry for the Soap Box. I personally take this very seriously. It is all about my health. I am tired of being tired, I am tired of NOT being able to do things I love.

I am tired of food ruling my life.

Well my surgeon has done two thousand bariatric surgeries and never lost a single patient so he must be doing something right. If you bust open your pouch, sure you can have surgery to fix it but every surgery is a risk and peritonitis surely makes it riskier. My mother died from peritonitis from a perforated intestines.

I think that one of the secrets to not being tempted is to have family not eat in front of you. In a few weeks you can eat regular food in small amounts so you won't feel so deprived. It's all a mind game, and you want to stack the deck in your favor. :)

Last edited:
Remember that one mistake doesn't mean you have to keep making them. Like people have said your Dr knows what he is doing by keeping you on each phase for so long. Last night I was craving chocolate- but I had to tell myself it was just an emotional craving. I wasn't hungry or anything I believe I was just bored. You can do this, but in the end it really is just up to you- stay on track and ask for help when you feel like drifting from it.

Yes, I had my surgery last Monday. I feel great actually. I am still struggling to get in enough fluids, but getting closer to goal. I also had a hiatal hernia repair so I think what discomfort I feel may be from that. I've been very fortunate and had minimal pain. The first two days, I had some retching (any time I tried to drink) and I think that my stomach muscles hurt from that, but even that is gone. I have managed to get 7-8 hours of sleep that last two nights - that was a big plus. My doctor has me on 1 protein shake a day for two weeks. I am looking forward to adding soft solids on the 23rd.

Yes, I had my surgery last Monday. I feel great actually. I am still struggling to get in enough fluids, but getting closer to goal. I also had a hiatal hernia repair so I think what discomfort I feel may be from that. I've been very fortunate and had minimal pain. The first two days, I had some retching (any time I tried to drink) and I think that my stomach muscles hurt from that, but even that is gone. I have managed to get 7-8 hours of sleep that last two nights - that was a big plus. My doctor has me on 1 protein shake a day for two weeks. I am looking forward to adding soft solids on the 23rd.

Thats AWESOME that you are doing so great!!! :) keep up the good work!

I have not had my surgery yet but, after learning everything that I have in preparation for my surgery that can be dangerous. I would've been afraid to do anything that wasn't approved by my surgeon. You will do better. Take your time and good luck.

I really hope you think about what's important your health or that sugar cookie, it's time to decide why did I have this surgery and move forward in changing your life only you can change this, sorry for being harsh but you need to take this seriously or you won't do good at all.....

Well my surgeon has done two thousand bariatric surgeries and never lost a single patient so he must be doing something right. If you bust open your pouch, sure you can have surgery to fix it but every surgery is a risk and peritonitis surely makes it riskier. My mother died from peritonitis from a perforated intestines.

That nice.. Not to brag or anything, I am quiet sure my surgeon trained your surgeon on the minimally invasive robotics now used in Bariatric surgeries.
My surgeon travels the world training surgeons on the Davinchi Robotics for Bariatric surgery.
Just saying, :).

That nice.. Not to brag or anything, I am quiet sure my surgeon trained your surgeon on the minimally invasive robotics now used in Bariatric surgeries.
My surgeon travels the world training surgeons on the Davinchi Robotics for Bariatric surgery.
Just saying, :).

I never said your surgeon wasn't a great surgeon.. he may be the best surgeon in the entire world, however I do differ on your personal opinion that peritonitis is not a life threatening condition. I'm quite sure your surgeon didn't say peritonitis was no big deal. Some people live through it and some people die from it. Saying that you could die from a torn pouch is a real possibility not a scare tactic. Hopefully the surgeon would successfully repair the pouch and save your life but that depends on how soon you get to the hospital, how you react to the infection in your body from the spilled stomach contents, and many other individual factors. I sure didn't want to risk my life and my new pouch by eating foods that my tummy wasnt ready for. I simply shared the fact that not following your doctors diet can affect more than your weight, it can affect your life.

I never said your surgeon wasn't a great surgeon.. he may be the best surgeon in the entire world, however I do differ on your personal opinion that peritonitis is not a life threatening condition. I'm quite sure your surgeon didn't say peritonitis was no big deal. Some people live through it and some people die from it. Saying that you could die from a torn pouch is a real possibility not a scare tactic. Hopefully the surgeon would successfully repair the pouch and save your life but that depends on how soon you get to the hospital, how you react to the infection in your body from the spilled stomach contents, and many other individual factors. I sure didn't want to risk my life and my new pouch by eating foods that my tummy wasnt ready for. I simply shared the fact that not following your doctors diet can affect more than your weight, it can affect your life.

No where did I eve say that peritonitis is NOT a life threatening issue.. What I did say was, "Now days your less likely to die from it".
Now if someone chooses to ignore the symptoms that is their doing...

Re-read my post and look at what I stated about my surgeon and I having a discussion about peritonitis..

Before you start pointing your finger at me and think that your quoiting me verbatim. Please re-read my posts..

I could sit back and tear some of your posts down from a medical professionals stand point, (mine and my husbands for that matter) however I choose not.

Beliefs vs facts are 2 different things..

As a matter of fact, let me save you the time. I am reposting my original post from page 1 of this thread:

"First of all, if by some weird change you develop peritonitis from a tear / leak the chances of dying these days are pretty slim. I hate scare tactics. My surgeon and I covered this issue in great detail because my mother developed peritonitis back in the late 1959 after giving birth to my oldest sister and survived. Back in 1959 she was used as a guinea pig for IV antibiotics and the first patient in Florida to receive IV antibiotic infusions..

IF you were to tear your pouch you would have some pain and other symptoms that would give you a good idea that something is wrong...

I am tired of food ruling my life."

No where did I eve say that peritonitis is NOT a life threatening issue.. What I did say was, "Now days your less likely to die from it".
Now if someone chooses to ignore the symptoms that is their doing...

Re-read my post and look at what I stated about my surgeon and I having a discussion about peritonitis..

Before you start pointing your finger at me and think that your quoiting me verbatim. Please re-read my posts..

I could sit back and tear some of your posts down from a medical professionals stand point, (mine and my husbands for that matter) however I choose not.

Beliefs vs facts are 2 different things..

As a matter of fact, let me save you the time. I am reposting my original post from page 1 of this thread:

"First of all, no if by some weird change you develop peritonitis from a tear / leak the chances of dying these days are pretty slim. I hate scare tactics. My surgeon and I covered this issue in great detail because my mother developed peritonitis back in the late 1959 after giving birth to my oldest sister and survived. Back in 1959 she was used as a guinea pig for IV antibiotics and the first patient in Florida to receive IV antibiotic infusions..

IF you were to tear your pouch you would have some pain and other symptoms that would give you a good idea that something is wrong...

I am tired of food ruling my life."

I am not arguing with you about this. I said my surgeon said not to eat solid foods too early or it could rip open the pouch and a person could possibly die from this (peritonitis). You responded to my post " I hate scare tactics." along with more that anyone can read for themselves in your post above, I'm not going to bother retyping it word for word.

OK, you got beat up enough.

Remember it is a tool.

You can succeed or you can fail.

It is up to you.

I met many people in my preop days when I went to some bariatric groups who had "defeated" the surgery by violating all the rules on a continuous basis. So I ask myself why did they have the surgery to begin with?

Remember it is a tool. A tool can be used or abused. A hammer can be used to construct a house, a table, whatever. A hammer can be used to smash windows, break valuable objects throughout your home or even crack a skull? So tell me how do you use a hammer? I would guess constructively not destructively.

Treat this tool like that hammer. Use it for good things. Build good habits.

A little "cheat" is not a cheat. It is a choice. We all choose to enjoy once in awhile. I am 8 weeks post op. I have chosen to enjoy a treat now and then; a small treat; why not. But if you cannot control yourself and your small treat becomes that destructive hammer, then don't have the treat; not ever.

Be well.

Enjoy the benefits of weight loss. Keep the weight loss journey going. From my point of view it is OK to have a treat now and then.... now and then, but don't let it destroy your journey.

Ralph

Back