• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Feeling down

I am 2 1/2 months out and feeling discouraged. The scale is moving very slow (I know! I know! Stay off the scale). It makes sense since I am eating more now. I am doing everything by the book. No carbs. Walking about a mile EVERY day. Lost 34lbs so far. Yet my brain is messing with me. I feel like “I am still FAT and this isn’t working”. I know I am in a slump. Looking to those who have gone before me for a lift.

Make a list of all your positive assets. If you need help ask friends and family, I always start with my cousin. She always says something positive, she knows all the challenges I have faced and overcome. Start posting positive post it notes around the house. On the fridge on mirrors on the headboard. In the cabinets you use most often. They do work.

I think you are right on track! Dont get discouraged and don't compare yourself to everyone else. Everyone loses at a different pace dependent on many factors. As everyone that has gone through this says, "Stick with the program" you will lose the weight! Keep your chin up! Just think how much you've lost so far! You are doing amazing!

It never seems to come off fast enough. But it IS coming off and a lot faster than it would be without the surgery! Take this time to reset your habits, like the low carb thing, into a new eating pattern that you can take into the future. Focus on NSV. Non scale victories. Did you have to buy smaller pants? Do you measure yourself monthly? Can you walk up a flight of stairs and not gasp for air?

There are SO many benefits to losing weight. No matter how slowly you feel its coming off. You'll feel better, look better and be even healthier next month. And the one after that. Its worth the wait!

I'm feeling down as well. I had my GS surgery on June 29th. I'm having trouble seeing any of the results I've read about (average 5lbs per week).
At my one week check up the scale said I lost 15lbs! I was really happy and excited, but when I checked the scale at home after week 2 it said I didn't lose anything. Maybe the online sources were wrong, I don't know. Is it really that slow? :(

I have posted this chart a million times lol

I will happily post it a million more. This is the average based in where you started. It doesn't seem like much in the beginning. It takes time for the real progress to show. Be patient and you will see results.

You are not going to lose 5lbs every week. Some weeks you'll lose 0. And it will make you crazy lol

If you can manage it, weigh monthly and average out your weight loss per week. If you have to weigh weekly, (or heavens forbid, daily) you're going to have to figure out how to stay positive when the numbers aren't what you want them to be.

Hi I had my 6 month check in with the surgical team yesterday. I was told I have lost 44% of my excess body weight, over 60 pounds, and was told this is great and exactly in the range I should be. I did discuss my plateau, and they said that's normal around the 6 month point, and said to check back in around 3 more weeks if the scale doesn't move. I have an old friend living nearby who when she experienced a plateau was prescribed topiramate and naltrexone which she says helped her overcome her plateau. So my team's tip was to keep waiting things out. One thing they did stress was that I must eat more throughout the day, so I will alter my intake and move to an oikos pro, a cheese stick, a banana with peanut butter, and a sensible dinner. They said my limited caloric intake might also be impacting the plateau. I'm having a hard time forcing myself to eat a little something even when I feel no hunger at all. I could honestly go all day until dinner time without eating.

Cutting back hard on food consumption is one of the worst things we can do for a lot of reasons. For sure, it will cause weight gain and starvation, causing your weight loss to slow. I've written about this before. Here's another county heard from: Is "Starvation Mode" Real or Imaginary? A Critical Look

If you cut calories severely, your body will overcompensate by holding on to calories and building up fat stores so you don't starve to death.

Your proposed diet sounds extreme and dangerous. Do more research, consulting with your dietician directly. Eat three meals a day, DRINK 8 GLASSES OF WATER (do a web search about how that will accelerate weight loss), don't try to starve it off. Balance your diet and make sure you have a variety of fruits, vegetables and protein. Cut the carbs if you have to cut anything. Don't take drugs unless necessary elements are missing from your organs, affecting your metabolism.

Stop obsessing. People of normal weight just try to eat in a healthy way. they don't fret over every ounce.

And walk. just walk. It's the easiest way to get exercise and it burns calories like crazy.

Perhaps my messages are unclear...I want to eat more, not less. The issue is not feeling hungry. For example, I had my oikos pro yogurt, then waited 3 hours before eating a cheese stick. I wasn't hungry at all, but still ate it, but then my stomach felt a little ill afterward. I am not seeking drugs or to reduce my food intake to overcome my plateau. I am concerned to eat more and follow the doc's advice. I will be contacting the doctor's office to tell them how i feel after adding more food. Thank you!

I am 2 1/2 months out and feeling discouraged. The scale is moving very slow (I know! I know! Stay off the scale). It makes sense since I am eating more now. I am doing everything by the book. No carbs. Walking about a mile EVERY day. Lost 34lbs so far. Yet my brain is messing with me. I feel like “I am still FAT and this isn’t working”. I know I am in a slump. Looking to those who have gone before me for a lift.
In my nutrition class they told us we would lose about3 pounds per week. We would also go through a stall but after a couple of weeks weight loss would kick in again. Hang in there!

It's a stall not a slump. That's how it was explained to me. Just stay the course and as they told me, "don't freak out." ha, ha, ha. I have a great team!

As long as the scale is going down you are doing great. We cant compare ourselves to others as each person loses weight at their own pace due to many factors. Just stick with it and you will get to your goal weight! Have you taken any body measurements? you will see a difference if you do.

Back