• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

feeling full

yh45

I am 10 days post gastric bypass surgery. I am worries because I am not getting the full feeling after eating or drinking my protein shakes. I just started yesterday the stage 3 diet. Is this normal? When will I start to get the full feeling?

thanks

One of the many pathologies shared by overeaters is false signaling. We cannot trust our brains to send accurate messages to our senses. That's why anorexic people see themselves as morbidly obese when they look in a mirror, even though they're skeletal and contours of ribs are showing. And we're all different, though we share many common dynamics.

If you can't trust your perceptions, trust a scale and measuring devices like spoons, cups and prepackaged portions. Don't focus on just one thing such as a "full feeling." Your damaged mind is trying to sabotage your logical brain. You know the truth. Don't let one hazard snap a trap on your truth.

What does your scale say? Rely on that, trust the science. Counteract that failure message that you should feel full with an affirmation that teaches you that you're all right, healthy, beautiful.

If you're actually NOT losing any weight, see your dietician, doctor and surgeon.

I have lost 14 lbs in the last 10 days. I do measure everything and keep a log to hold myself accountable. Everyone is telling me I should feel full and I'm wondering if when I reach the stage 4 diet is that when I will get the full sensation?

"Everyone" is wrong. Don't let others tell you how your body should feel. If you're concerned, tell a medical professional. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for failure.

Can you see how believing and setting expectations can ruin the reality? You've been through a serious physical change brought about by a physical medical procedure. Trust your body's physical response and believe your own experience. And definitely don't base your reality on things you read in Internet searches.

I could barely eat three bites of food after getting past the liquid phase. I wanted to throw up. One bite was enough for me to feel "full," but again, it also made me sick to my stomach. That's not how everyone else feels, and it's not a scientifically expected response.

I hope you'll feel it's okay to relax and enjoy your own experience without expecting specific results you may never have.

Back