• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Feeling guilty for eating around my husband...ideas

My husband had gastric bypass surgery Friday... I am struggling with feeling guilty eating around him. Some of changes I can make with him to best of my ability. I want to be helpful without hovering.

I am diabetic type 2... I take medications and try to make healthy food choices, but there are some things I cannot eat due to allergies and other health concerns (cannot use any artificial sweetners)

FYI.. he is not telling me to not eat around him... I just feel weird and guilty

How nice of you to take the time to get some information. It's super early days for him, so I am assuming that he is still on clear liquids? There is not much you can do to support that, since I doubt you want to drink clear liquids for a week.

What you can do is avoid the foods you know he loves. If you like any foods that he absolutely hates, now would be a great time to treat yourself to them. It is difficult not being able to eat, especially if those around you are eating stuff you love. You can also just ask him what he needs from you support wise.

Good luck

How nice of you to take the time to get some information. It's super early days for him, so I am assuming that he is still on clear liquids? There is not much you can do to support that, since I doubt you want to drink clear liquids for a week.

What you can do is avoid the foods you know he loves. If you like any foods that he absolutely hates, now would be a great time to treat yourself to them. It is difficult not being able to eat, especially if those around you are eating stuff you love. You can also just ask him what he needs from you support wise.

Good luck
Thank you... yes he is on protein shakes and liquids

That's really thoughtful of you. I actually have the opposite issue-I live with my mother, who is a constant snacker and is always asking me to partake and trying to have me eat more than I can. Sometimes I wind up feeling guilty for telling her no thanks, I'll pass. She doesn't mean it and I absolutely don't feel bad that she is eating something I can't or (don't). He might need to rest extra in the beginning, just encourage him to drink 64 ounces of water to stay hydrated, and take things step by step! I'm sure he will appreciate your encouragement!

My wife eats around me, I stick to what I can enjoy and not what she eats. We have always been pretty independent about what we eat around each other. I don’t think men focus on that as much. I eat my salad, my soup, steak and other solid meats are just not appealing any more, but all you can eat soup and salad at Olive Garden, I can have 4 bowls of soup plus 1 plate of salad some bites of bread and iced tea plus wine samples, she had the salmon with broccoli and soup and salad plus wine. What a meal!!!

Back