• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Feeling Miserable

That's way too long to go without a bowel movement. You're going to have an impacted bowel and need to go to the ER if you don't get that stuff out of you. I would immediately start a stool softener and a fiber laxative. You're not eating fiber-filled vegetables and fruit that ordinarily would cause a bowel movement. I would drink a fiber laxative twice a day until my bowels moved. This is extremely important.

I experienced this after surgery because of taking the opiates in addition to no fruit and vegetables. The bowel movement is too unsavory to describe here without grossing everyone out, but believe me, it took 24 hours to empty my bowel and it was only on the 24th hour of pushing down harder than when I was in labor with my son that it came out. You have to do this, and call your doctor or nutritionist for sure.

Yes, call your surgeon re: no BM's. That is not only uncomfortable but can be dangerous. If stool softeners don't help, they can give you a prescription for something to help you. Water and activity both help with BM's as well if you're leery of taking something.

I hope by now you have reached out to your surgeon/bariatric doctor/nurse. I had to take a stool softener (Miralax) to get going, and then, unfortunately, I started having a lot of diarrhea after that and would go back and forth between a few days without a BM and then diarrhea. It resolved to be more regular around the 3-week mark. You definitely need something though!!

Back