• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Finally a surgery date!

I finally have a surgery date. It took almost a year to get here. My RNY bypass surgery will be done on 8/28. Anyone had a case of nerves before their surgery? Been reading some real horror stories. I know there must be successes out there! :):confused:

Littlegrandma; i have been on the computer for 6 months before i made the decision to go threw with my gastric bypass which will b on the 12 of this month. There r so so many successes compared to the losses this site will show u that i also got on utube good place for info but u wont find the support like on here congrats on ur decision:)

Who, exactly is telling you these horror stories? If it's not the actual person who went through the procedure, I would discount the advice. BTW welcome to the forum!:p

You certainly sound determined to hang in there for 1 year. Like any surgery there are risks. There are so many success stories. You can find them here and I am certain at your surgeon's office or support group. Wishing you both much success. Keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks all for the encouragement. The horror stories have come from the web, some on youtube. I want to be informed but not frightened!

Congrats on getting your surgery date. Mine is two weeks away and I think it is normal to be nervous. It is a big surgery and a huge change. That said - I think it will certainly be worth it. I have talked to dozens of people who have had the surgery and all but 1 have said that they would definitely do it all over again. The one who disagreed never did what he was told and never really had any intention to change how he ate and interacted with the world. In that case I don't know why he even bothered.

One of my friends did have some good advice I think - he told me to write a list of all the reasons I want to have surgery and all of the things that I will be able to do once I have lost the weight. I am going to make my list into a vision board so when the days or moments are bad - I have that to focus on. Personally I can't wait to walk in a "normal" store and pick out clothes. It seems like a little thing to most people - and probably shallow in relation to the difference it will make to my health and the energy I have for my family - but it is a big deal to me - so it is on the list!

Back