• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Finally got clearance

NanaG67

I saw my doctor today. He gave me cardiac clearance for my surgery. I also talked to him about the constant indigestion and nausea, he said it is probably from the hernia so he gave me some samples of Nexium.

So less than a month away for surgery....I AM SO EXCITED!!

Congratulations Nana, I know you must be very excited. Thinking back, I also had nausea almost daily from my hernia. The pain was less often but when it hit it brought me to my knees. Although I had hernia surgery last June I started seeing my PCP about the nausea and pain about a year before I was diagnosed properly.

Thanks Pat. I am excited, I even called the surgeon's office to make sure that they got the fax from my doctor and they did. Now to get down to some serious business. I need to focus on what lies ahead for me and get my body and mind ready for the big day and the lifestyle change.

Nana-After the surgery your tiny new pouch won't let you eat too much so that part will take care of itself. I'm sure you've heard this a zillion times but the focus post surgery is to get those liquids, protein and supplements in every single day. The other thing is to rest, rest, rest. You have to get enough sleep and naps to be able to heal properly. You will be very tired, especially for the first 2 or 3 months but this is because your body is using its energy to heal itself. Adding everything together, the trauma from surgery and anesthesia, rapid weight loss, healing and greatly reduced calories and you have the recipe for being tired for quite a while. It's best not to try and fight it otherwise it will take longer to fully recover.

No arguments from me. I am tired all the time anyway....I don't get enough sleep now, but that is piddly stuff. I also got a letter of medical necessity for the supplements and proteins! Then I called and they said I could order and if there were questions then to send them the letter.

I'm ready for this. Bought some more EAS today. Checking out the strawberry flavored. I will check out the different sites tomorrow and place my orders for my supplements.

Wonderful news about your supplements Nana. I like the strawberry EAS. I tried other brands of strawberry and didn't like any of them except for the EAS. It's very natural tasting and no aftertaste like all of the other's I tried.

I started having trouble sleeping about 6 years ago. I was still working at the time and used up all my vacation days and sick time due to not being able to function enough to make it to work in the morning. I ended up getting a family medical leave form from my PCP to give to my employer so that they couldn't fire me for missing additional days of work. A lot of times I would be able to fall asleep for a few hours in the morning which would make me late for work. I ended up staying late and working weekends to make up the lost time. My doctor still hasn't been able to figure out exactly what is causing this. Sleeping meds have very little effect on me except to make me feel "hung over" for the next day or two. I also have annual consults with a sleep medicine doctor for sleep apnea and we also discuss my insomnia. I end up napping several times a day for an hour or two and can not seem to get a "normal" sleep cycle going. Eventually I will fall asleep for 4 or 5 hours maybe once a week and when I wake up I feel like a new person. Both my PCP and sleep medicine doc said I would be able to lose weight faster and be healthier overall if I slept on a regular basis. For now I don't fight the naps and I keep the ringer on my phone off so I don't get disturbed if I happen to fall asleep. I don't know what else to do and the doctors can't help me.

Pat, you sound so much like me. Unless I am expecting an important call, I out my phone on vibrate or give it to my daughter so I can sleep. I also have a special lock on my door so my grandkids can't get it open. I have been getting sleepy around 10:30 or so and have to get up at 4am with my hubby. I then go back to bed at 5:15 or so depends on what time he leaves for work. Then I get maybe an hour and a half then its up to use the bathroom, then back to sleep for about 45 minutes or so. Once I get up, I am ok, but usually by 2pm I am ready for a nap, not that I always get one, just depends on what is going on that day. I have tried different sleeping pills, I take over the counter stuff, some times Legatrin, which is for RLS and it helps me sleep. Melatonin helps too, but I dont like that groggy feeling the next day. Sometimes other pills will do that to me too. And I refuse to take prescription sleep meds because I saw what they did to my mom and I don't want to be like that too.

greatnews...this month will just fly by and you keep on doing the good things for your body. It is a journey and after about 5 years you really have towatch causenyour sensitivity to carbs will change. After thatnwe really have to remember exactly how wwe got fat in the beginning. I am struggling to lose 40 lbs to re-reach my goal weight. some days are hrder than others. this group has been sosupportive and always glad to hear from you.patti

I understand, carbs are my downfall. I love potatoes and bread, but I know I need to have will power, which is something I struggle with right now. I have been fairly good about staying away from potatoes, but it is harder when it comes to rice or pasta as they are trigger foods for me. I am even staying away from my favorite snack of Cheetos. I am struggling with mild anxiety right now, I just feel stressed out about things at home, but I am trying to take it one day at a time.

Congrats on your surgery date
Itis a struggle ut you will find after you have your surgery your body will not tolerate some of these foods. You will be eating significantly smller quantities of food and pasta just doesn't work. you will have towatch potatoes becdause they can be reduced to a sot state. You don't wan t efeat the purpose of your surgery and if you eat what is recommended you will see that weight drop off. I kept my goal weight for five years and then I was in a car wreck and it made me sedentart and I gained back 50 lbs. I am back to 40 lbs from my goal weight. so don't get so discourgedm it will all come together.patti

Back