• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Finally have surgery date!

virgomrs

I have been notified of my surgery date finally. It will be April 1, 2015. Jumping through hoops has taken about 3 months, with all the requirements Medicare demands.

Now I can really get officially nervous!

I am having the sleeve done per my surgeon. Mainly because I need to be on long term NSAIDS for my fibromyalgia. Also I got the notion that it is his preferred method for "older" patients. I am 65.
He tried to not let me get my hopes up too high about the resulting number of pounds I will lose. This is mainly because my exercise will be limited due to my pain and fatigue from the fibro. I am also post 3 back surgeries, 2 being fusions. My back pain is my biggest mobility problem; I need a walker to ambulate more than about 5 or 10 minutes.

I feel confident that my back pain will improve tremendously since it has in the past when I've lost quite a bit of weight. I'm not so sure about the fibro. I haven't heard anyone speak of the possibility of that improving. I will try hard to increase my exercise as I lose and become more mobile.

So I'm preparing for the real thing now! I'm really pleased with the Premier protein shakes. I need to find some good tasting clear liquid ones for that phase. I've been reading a lot on this forum for tips and have learned a lot already. Thanks for that! :eek:

Gaye

I have been notified of my surgery date finally. It will be April 1, 2015. Jumping through hoops has taken about 3 months, with all the requirements Medicare demands.

Now I can really get officially nervous!

I am having the sleeve done per my surgeon. Mainly because I need to be on long term NSAIDS for my fibromyalgia. Also I got the notion that it is his preferred method for "older" patients. I am 65.
He tried to not let me get my hopes up too high about the resulting number of pounds I will lose. This is mainly because my exercise will be limited due to my pain and fatigue from the fibro. I am also post 3 back surgeries, 2 being fusions. My back pain is my biggest mobility problem; I need a walker to ambulate more than about 5 or 10 minutes.

I feel confident that my back pain will improve tremendously since it has in the past when I've lost quite a bit of weight. I'm not so sure about the fibro. I haven't heard anyone speak of the possibility of that improving. I will try hard to increase my exercise as I lose and become more mobile.

So I'm preparing for the real thing now! I'm really pleased with the Premier protein shakes. I need to find some good tasting clear liquid ones for that phase. I've been reading a lot on this forum for tips and have learned a lot already. Thanks for that! :eek:

Gaye

CONGRATULATIONS GAYE ON YOUR SURGERY DATE!!! (April 1st - April fools day - is my birthday - I'm going to be 66 yrs old )That's always been a lucky day for me. I'm sure it will be lucky for you, too!

I had my surgery at 64 yrs old, almost 21 months ago. I have lost over 200 lb since my highest pre-surgery weight, 180 lb since surgery. Just wanted to tell you I lost most of this weight with almost no exercise. I have extremely bad knees with no cartilage at all and will need knee replacement surgery, so exercise was really painful. Recently, I have been walking at Walmart, leaning on the cart I can walk a pretty long time. :) Having lost weight, the pain in my knees is bearable now. The first year when I lost most of my weight I did it with exactly following the diet the surgeon gave me and by eating only tiny amounts at a time to not stretch out my 2 oz stomach. A couple tablespoons filled me up and I felt super full. Yes your tummy will stretch out some but it took me a year to be able to eat 4 oz. I never felt hungry. I did have a bypass because I needed all the help I could get but I had a lot more weight to lose than you do. Eat your protein first, women should limit carbs to under 30 a day (men can eat more carbs than women), never miss your vitamins and calcium, sip, sip, sip your water and you will lose a lot of weight.

If you have problems or questions, don't hesitate to ask us for help, someone here probably has been through whatever you need to know. Also after surgery, don't forget to call your surgeon's office with questions. That's what they are there for.

Wishing you the best of luck!!!

Cheyenne:cool:

Just wanted to add that I am not advocating to not exercise post op for the average person. I'm quite sure I could have lost weight much faster if I could have exercised faithfully everyday. However I had some very serious health problems before surgery and was to the point of going in a wheelchair to my doctor visits. In addition to my health problems (heart and lung) I had no cartilage in my knees. I really felt I was going to die. Weight loss surgery saved my life!

I just want to say to those of us who can't exercise much at all for health reasons that yes, it still can be done.

Cheyenne

Cheyenne, thank you so much for your encouraging reply. You give me hope! I have been dealing with depression for some time now, feeling that any life I had was basically over. I truly believe that this surgery is my last hope for a fulfilliing rest of my life. I felt food has been one of my only pleasures left to me. I know I must get over this mind set and I think it is really possible. I'm psyched! Thanks again. :eek:

I know exactly how you feel. I have been there. Food is definitely a great pleasure in life. You must find something other than food to keep you occupied. Eat to live .. not live to eat.

I filled my time up after sugery by reading on the internet everything I could about weight loss surgery. Utube has tons of videos from people who lost weight successfully. I participated on this forum as much as possible, first to learn all I could and then to try to help others. I fixated on my weight loss for a full year and it paid off for me. You can do it too. Find things to keep you busy. Measure yourself daily. I weighed myself a lot though some people think that it's not good to do, it worked for me. Keep a journal, keep your eye on the prize... I new healthier body!

Question for Cheyenne

Cheyenne, I was reading one of your other posts recommending Aragon oil. Would you tell me where is the best place to get it for the best price? Sounds like a worthwhile purchase for me. Thanks. :eek:

Cheyenne, I was reading one of your other posts recommending Aragon oil. Would you tell me where is the best place to get it for the best price? Sounds like a worthwhile purchase for me. Thanks. :eek:

I first tried it buying on QVC .. Josie Maran Aragan Oil Luxury Kit. It had the pure Aragan Oil plus Body Butter (which has a bronze tone suntan coloring in it - rather have had the butter plain) and several other Aragan Oil products. I loved these products but they were a little pricey but I bought it on 4 payments so it wasn't too bad. Then my daughter bought some Aragan Oil plus some other replenishing products for me from Walmart. Much cheaper price but it didn't say 100% Aragan Oil. It just said Aragan Oil. It seems good too but not quite as good as the QVC products.

Does just a few ounces go very far? Amazon has it in 4oz sizes.

Oh yes. My bottle of Aragan Oil is only1.7 oz and it has an eye dropper in it and I have used it almost everyday since Christmas. A tiny amount spreads a long way. I only use it where my skin is the worst like under my chin, and my arms where the skin was over stretched. I have a tube of whipped Aragan Oil that is for the face and it's really good too.

The 4 oz size should last really good depending on how much of it you use everyday. Amazon usually has really good prices.

Back