• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Finally

I finally have an appetite again. I learned very quick to eat just a little and put it down before I felt full. I was miserable for a while last night. I'm guessing I will learn how much my stomach can handle at a time. I have found I no longer like chicken noodle soup or iced tea.
Great!!! Isn't it strange how some of your tastes change? I didn't expect that at all. So glad you're able to eat. :)

I'm on the other side of this. I currently cannot stand eggs. But I am oh-so-hopeful that I will love them after surgery! I really really really want to love them lol.

Hahaha, another egg-hater??? Me too! I found a work around when I was in the soft food stage. I scrambled with salsa and shredded cheddar cheese. I went with medium salsa just in case my tummy objected to hot. It totally masked the eggy-ness and I got protein from both the egg & cheese. Worth a try when you're sick of applesauce and oatmeal. :p

That said, once on solid foods again, I didn't eat any more eggs. ;)

LOL I was eating jello like a mad woman before surgery, after the surgery I can’t stand the taste. I also love Snapple peach diet. Have not tried it since surgery. I hope I haven’t lost my taste for that.
I wonder if it’s all the vitamins changing the taste buds

Another Snapple lover? ;) I was thrilled that I could still enjoy this since diet sodas are off the table post-surgery.

The vitamins are a good theory. I don't think doctors know for sure why tastes change. Most seem to think it's related to hormone changes (ghrelin and leptin).

I've read a couple good articles on the taste change phenomenon:

Taste Changes Following Bariatric Surgery

This one is more scientific about chemistry: Taste Changes after Bariatric Surgery: a Systematic Review

The second article discusses studies that prove obese people actually have chemistry changes in the way food affects our dopamine receptors and that we also develop decreased response to taste stimuli. These are some physiological reasons why we continued to overeat despite knowing better! It's not all about willpower! We haven't all "failed" when past diets didn't work, we were actually fighting against our bodies and psyche.

My taste buds irrevocably changed with surgery, and I can't handle sweets anymore :confused: I literally get sick with anything that tastes sweet, ice cream included. That may be great for weight loss but man when I see a huge slice of chocolate cake...my brain still says YES!
Pixx, where the hell have you been!? When I joined up with this group 8 months ago you were one of the first people I tried to interact with and you had left in 2018. I just scroll through your posts and see that you have been here since I have been on sabbatical. Please tell us your story from start to finish. I mean ladies and gentlemen oh, here we have something you've never seen before! A VIP Bariatric Guru!

You need to be really careful with how you consume juices. This is true before or after surgery. Juices actually are extremely high in calories and sugar, even if they are natural. They also contribute to tooth decay like crazy if you don't brush your teeth to get all the residue off your teeth after you drink.

Another thing about juice is that if you consume a lot of juices you may decrease the amount of water that you should be drinking. This is not good. The water that you drink has a number of beneficial effects, including Flushing, absorption and rehydrating. You can't drink enough water. Everything that you drink over your suggested amount you will just pee away anyway.

That said, I did start to drink juice from Trader Joe's a few months ago. I buy the Country Peach and Strawberry Lemonade. They are both high in sugar. So I combine them and cut them half and half with ordinary seltzer. This I pour over a huge amount of ice in a tall glass so it looks like I have a lot but the actual amount is usually less than a cup. I drink it slowly so more ice melts into it and I have even used water to dilute it because it is way way too sweet.

I am 12 years out from surgery and I eat things that most people should never touch, and especially if you're less than a year out from surgery. I also buy those little miniature Nutty Buddies from TJ's or from Safeway, and the natural fruit juice pops. I consume these things in small quantities when I have an irresistible craving. This is something I could not ever have done when I was fat because I wanted huge quantities of these things.

The main reason I mention this is because people going into bariatric surgery often think they will never be able to eat anything delicious again. But this is not true. If that was the case, there would never be anybody accidentally gaining all their weight back. Once you get past the trauma, you can eat anyting anyone else would eat. But as I have mentioned before your biggest problem is your eating disorder, which is like a demon that lives inside you and can never be cast out. We think if only we could get control of the Beast. But control is something that is very difficult to acquire. So I know from my binging and purging days, that I am going to end up with a purse full of Twinkies if I don't allow myself a little something once in awhile. I don't know why this works for me but it does. It may not work for you so don't take my advice as gospel. I have maintained my weight ever since I had the surgery in 2007 and it has never been a problem.

I really advise everyone to be very creative about what you eat. And I also advised that whenever possible you stay away from artificial sweeteners. There is a lot of research on this and I wrote a resource down below detailing the various artificial sweeteners that people use. An artificial sweetener can actually have a pernicious effect, causing you to crave a real sweet because it is not generally satisfying. I also just feel creepy in general about anything I put in my body that's made of chemicals. I am not a chemical being. I know that I need to feed my muscles and I need to feed my blood and make my heart beat in a healthy manner.

But as everyone else has mentioned, it's different for everyone. I get physically sick watching ads on television where are they have a stack of pancakes or a piece of cake and then in slow motion they slather that food in some kind of sauce made of chocolate or gravy or whatever and pile on the whipped cream. It makes me sick to look at that and I could never even take a bite of something like that. And that actually is a physical manifestation of what I used to do, because in the past I would have eaten that item and then I would have gotten violently ill from it.

Your body is going to tell you what you can and cannot eat. You are going to learn that you still hate eggs, like Brenda, or that you go crazy about a certain juice with artificial sweetener or regular sugar. When you know these things, adapt to them. That's the way you keep your weight down and your health up. I crave a handful of blueberries more than a handful of M&M's. So I eat the blueberries and I Savor each one and I really kind of say a little prayer with each bite.

So don't think about what you are going to be denied. Be concerned about how you're going to deal with the fact that your body is going to hate 10 things that you used to love and it's going to Crave 10 things that you seem to obsess about. And do not forget 2 discipline your stupid eating disorder because it is what is going to try to sabotage you. Look back through Brenda's posts because she has done a lot of work with affirmations. And affirmations work but they're almost as tedious as sit-ups. But both of them are going to give you that flat stomach you want.

Back