• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Finding good walking shoes?

Keith Wells

Bariatric Guru
Can any one out there help with finding a great pair of walking shoes? The 20 dollar Walmart specials just not cutting it. I am walking over 3 miles a day and my crappy sneakers are killing my feet, shins, and calfs... Shin splints are the worse... feel like I am back in the Army after a 20 mile road march.... Streching helps to a degree and taking a day off helps a little but need those shoes.. Been looking at Dick's and other sporting goods places. and some are so expensive I would dare wear them... lol Trying to find a good shoe even if its a little pricey.. Saw so online called Kuru.. Look to be nice pair for 130 bucks free delivery and returns and exchanges if you don't like or bought the wrong ones.... Always liked trying them on first......

Tell me what you have or like... I have enough feet issues don't need shoes to make it worse.....

Thanks All

I have a hard time with my feet. They are very wide. My arches are weak so I use a tennis ball on the floor and rub my foot on it. It helps strengthen my arches and feels really good afterwards. I don't use arch support and buy sketchers.

Look at 6pm or Zappos on line. For mens shoes Sketchers are decent. My favorite women's are softball. I have big and wide feet. Work 12 hour days, the soft walk are my go to work shoe, they are pricey but my feet don't hurt at the end of a long shift on my feet. New Balance are not bad either.

My husband swears that Reebok DMX walking shoes are the best. He has been wearing them for probably 15 years, or more. He is on his feet all day and he never complains about his feet hurting.

Can any one out there help with finding a great pair of walking shoes? The 20 dollar Walmart specials just not cutting it. I am walking over 3 miles a day and my crappy sneakers are killing my feet, shins, and calfs... Shin splints are the worse... feel like I am back in the Army after a 20 mile road march.... Streching helps to a degree and taking a day off helps a little but need those shoes.. Been looking at Dick's and other sporting goods places. and some are so expensive I would dare wear them... lol Trying to find a good shoe even if its a little pricey.. Saw so online called Kuru.. Look to be nice pair for 130 bucks free delivery and returns and exchanges if you don't like or bought the wrong ones.... Always liked trying them on first......

Tell me what you have or like... I have enough feet issues don't need shoes to make it worse.....

Thanks All
I wore the Kuru when I was having feet issues, but found they were a little rough on my legs because of the cushioning in them. Was upset about that as I bought 2 pair and as you saw, they aren't cheap.

If u have a store by you called “The Walking Company”. The shoes are expensive but I promise they r great shoes and will last a long time. They also scan your feet to see where the pressure points are which will help them recommend the correct show for u. Good luck!

Hi! I had a bad case of plantar fasciitis affecting both feet at the same time. I was literally hobbling around. I walk because I'm too heavy to run. A co-worker (who is a runner) told me about Adidas Ultraboost sneakers. They are pricey - up to $179 a pair. But, they have been well worth the money. I felt like I was walking on clouds when I first put them on. I could walk again even with the plantar fasciitis!! I wanted to wear them all the time, but they weren't part of the dress code at work. They have also worn well over the past 6 months. The sneakers ran true to size so I purchased them 1/2 size larger so I could wear thick sweat socks. Good luck!

I have terrible feet. I found that most shoes do not work for me. I have psoriatic arthritis and have pretty much gotten rid of a lot of my shoes because they are too painful. This last year, i started not being able to walk barefoot. Solutions that seem to work for me are birkenstocks for short distances, doc martens, and hiking boots like from Keen. Arch supports that I can put in my shoes for plantar fasciitis help a lot.

Back