• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

First postop visit

Kathi_S

I had my first postop visit today. I am 6 days postop. I have lost 3 pounds. My surgeon said that if he didn’t know I had surgery he would not have known by looking at me!

He asked about any pain I was having, and I told him I was having 3 types of pain.

1. pain when I drink my 2 oz portion of water too fast
  2. gas pains
  3. muscle pains when I use abdominal muscles

He told me that having pain when I drink my water too fast is a good thing, it means he got a good tight seal on my stomach and it will be harder to stretch. He also told me that the slowing down drinking water is one of the hardest things to to retrain yourself to do.

He doesn't recommend anything for the gas, thinks it is better to let my digestive tract let itself work things out on its own. I have already had 4 bowel movements, without aid of any laxatives or stool softener so he doesn't want to throw in anything that might mess things up.

Of course the solution to the abdominal muscles is for me to be more careful.

He is really pleased with my progress. He did warn me that my weight loss was likely to slow down. I told him that I was aware of that, and was surprised that I had lost as much as I had so far.

So all in all, so far so good!

Congrats on your weight loss & positive visit with your dr. Did they give you an abdominal binder in the hospital? It might help with some of that pain if you can get one.

I have my 2nd visit Thursday with the nurse/nutritionist. I'm really looking forward to getting more info, esp about continuing with protein shakes.

I'm so glad you are healing so well. Can't wait to read more about the progress you'll continue to make.

Congrats on your weight loss & positive visit with your dr. Did they give you an abdominal binder in the hospital? It might help with some of that pain if you can get one.

I have my 2nd visit Thursday with the nurse/nutritionist. I'm really looking forward to getting more info, esp about continuing with protein shakes.

I'm so glad you are healing so well. Can't wait to read more about the progress you'll continue to make.
No abdominal binder. The pain isn't too bad, especially being so soon after surgery. Mostly it comes and goes. I see my nutritionist next week to see if I can go to pureed food. Good luck with your visit!

I had my first postop visit today. I am 6 days postop. I have lost 3 pounds. My surgeon said that if he didn’t know I had surgery he would not have known by looking at me!

He asked about any pain I was having, and I told him I was having 3 types of pain.

1. pain when I drink my 2 oz portion of water too fast
  2. gas pains
  3. muscle pains when I use abdominal muscles
He told me that having pain when I drink my water too fast is a good thing, it means he got a good tight seal on my stomach and it will be harder to stretch. He also told me that the slowing down drinking water is one of the hardest things to to retrain yourself to do.

He doesn't recommend anything for the gas, thinks it is better to let my digestive tract let itself work things out on its own. I have already had 4 bowel movements, without aid of any laxatives or stool softener so he doesn't want to throw in anything that might mess things up.

Of course the solution to the abdominal muscles is for me to be more careful.

He is really pleased with my progress. He did warn me that my weight loss was likely to slow down. I told him that I was aware of that, and was surprised that I had lost as much as I had so far.

So all in all, so far so good!
Congratulations and well done!

Actually, I contribute my early, unassisted bowel movements and weight loss both to the fact that I did not have to do a liver shrinking diet preop. I missed out on all that fun! I had to try to maintain my weight, not gaining or losing.

So really I am just catching up to the peeps that did the liver shrinking diet. This early weight loss is all an illusion. From the day of my consultation 3-1/2 months ago to today, I have lost 20.5 lbs, my BMI has dropped from 36.6 to 33, which to me is still fabulous!

I had my two week po exam last Thursday. I'm down 18 pounds since surgery and 77 since the beginning of this process. Now that I'm able to eat soft foods I feel much more energetic. Drinking is getting easier too. So far so good. My only issue has been swallowing medications.

Back