• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

first time and needing advice.

Thank you! I wish you the best also. I have just discovered that I cant have my surgery until I lose 13 lbs., was very disappointed. Any weight loss ideas I can use? I don't eat that much and I eat atleast one protein bar a day (20 grams). I am at a loss, if I could lose the weight I wouldn't be wanting the surgery... HELP!!!

Question? What is the protocol that your Doctor wants you to follow pre-op? I never heard of someone saying that you have to lose a certain amount of weight before surgery in order to qualify for the surgery.

However, pre-op I did lose about 15 pounds or so pre-op. The protocol recommended by my Doctor was to go liquid diet prior to the operation. The purpose was to give the liver a rest, shrink it and get the fatty deposits in the liver greatly reduced. This helps to make the surgical procedure much easier as well.

For the pre-op program I used protein shakes and glucerna shakes. I made sure my protein intake stayed at 80 to 90 grams per day and also that I limited my total caloric intake to 1200 calories each day. This was easy to pre-plan with the shakes since they all have precisely known nutrients in them.

You can easily lose 13 pounds pre-op following a program like the one I described above. You might even shoot for 1000 calories to be sure. When I started I weighed 290. I think by surgery time I was around 272. So I dropped 18 pounds pre-op. You can do it too.

What is difficult for all of us is to drop the 100 pounds we need to lose. That is why we are going for the surgery. ALL OF US have yo-yoed for way too long.

Ralph

thank you Ralph. I will up my protein intake and try to drink a couple of shakes per day also. Did you eat any regular food during this time period?

Thank you, I just joined myfitnesspal.com today and was amazed at how fast calories and fat add up. I wasn't that much over, but was still surprised.

Back