• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

First time here

Mamafirny

I am 2 weeks out from my surgery date. I am excited and anxious. I am ready to get my weight loss underway. I don't have the full support of my family which is making the process more difficult. I am also a single mom of 4 kids which has it's own challenges. I really feel like I am in this alone on most days. I am most afraid of after surgery and doing all the cooking on my own. I really have to depend on myself and be true to myself to make this process work. I am interested in knowing what advice you all would give me going into this adventure. Also how important is exercise?

WELCOME to the Forum! We are all here to support each other through the thick and thin of our bariatric journey. I'm going into surgery in a few minutes for a stone in my liver duct. I'll write more later today when I get out of recovery. Just wanted to say we are all here to help with any problems or questions you may have. :)

Cheyenne

Mamafirny Welcome to the forum. Please know that you have the support of the bariatric community. Please post often and read blogs and other posts. Lots to learn!
You could probably lose most of your excess weight without exercising, but maintaining the loss would be hard. Why do you ask?

The reason I ask about the importance of exercise is because I lead a very hectic schedule with 4 kids who are involved heavily in sports. I am running 4-5 nights a week with them and find it difficult to fit exercise in. I am wondering how soon after surgery to start physical activity as well. I am thinking I am going to have to fit it on during the morning by getting up earlier. I just hope I will have better results that will stay than I have had in the past. I don't want to have had a major surgery and then end up back to where I am now. I want to be healthier. Get off all my meds. Sleep better.

Your exercise doesn't have to be very formal. A lot of people walk-- gets your heart rate up and burns some calories, no expensive gym membership needed. If your kids are involved in sports, you can run up and down the bleachers for 15 minutes-that counts! You are probably fairly active anyway, chasing after four kids. The good news is once the weight starts coming off, you are on such a high that you get involved in physical activity that you never imagined you could do before.
I had to wait 3 weeks to do any strenuous exercise after surgery, but did get cleared for walking the dog every day for about 20 minutes. In the first weeks after surgery, I remember being very tired after 20 min, but gradually expanded it to 30-45 min.

WELCOME to the Forum! We are all here to support each other through the thick and thin of our bariatric journey. I'm going into surgery in a few minutes for a stone in my liver duct. I'll write more later today when I get out of recovery. Just wanted to say we are all here to help with any problems or questions you may have. :)

Cheyenne
Cheyenne, I got the prize for most ER/hospital admissions in 2013, but I think you are going to win it for 2014. Geez. Will it never end?

Welcome, if you have a family member that can help you when you get home that would be good. I was really tired for 2 weeks. I'm not sure u will be able to keep up with the kids at first.

Cheyenne, I got the prize for most ER/hospital admissions in 2013, but I think you are going to win it for 2014. Geez. Will it never end?

Karenina, Mamafirny.. I am still in the hospital. My first procedure they tried to get the stone out by going through my liver with a needle and cath. They couldn't get to it. Then yesterday they did another procedure where they went down my throat with a camera and scope and he could see the stone but couldn't reach it. My bariatric surgery moved the duct that the stone is caught in and it looks like the only way to get it out is through cutting me wide open which the surgeon really didn't want to do this so soon after my other surgeries. They say I can't go home til the stone is removed because it could make my liver fail. She said she may wait a week before putting me through surgery again. So here I am, still no solid food, and clear liquids are really getting old. By the time I get out of here I may be so thin I'll be wasting away. Lol.

Cheyenne :cool:

Karenina, Mamafirny.. I am still in the hospital. My first procedure they tried to get the stone out by going through my liver with a needle and cath. They couldn't get to it. Then yesterday they did another procedure where they went down my throat with a camera and scope and he could see the stone but couldn't reach it. My bariatric surgery moved the duct that the stone is caught in and it looks like the only way to get it out is through cutting me wide open which the surgeon really didn't want to do this so soon after my other surgeries. They say I can't go home til the stone is removed because it could make my liver fail. She said she may wait a week before putting me through surgery again. So here I am, still no solid food, and clear liquids are really getting old. By the time I get out of here I may be so thin I'll be wasting away. Lol.

Cheyenne :cool:

I am so sorry to hear about your complications. I hope your next surgery goes well and your recovery is quick. Good luck.

I am 2 weeks out from my surgery date. I am excited and anxious. I am ready to get my weight loss underway. I don't have the full support of my family which is making the process more difficult. I am also a single mom of 4 kids which has it's own challenges. I really feel like I am in this alone on most days. I am most afraid of after surgery and doing all the cooking on my own. I really have to depend on myself and be true to myself to make this process work. I am interested in knowing what advice you allen would give me going into this adventure. Also how important is exercise?

I hope your children can help Mommy out a little. I am assuming that some are older and can pitch in.

As a single Mom u r getting plenty of exercise already. So I wouldn't, worryo about it.

Initially, u will be on liquids then pured then gradually solid foods. Your nutritionist should be explaining all this to you.

Find a local support group too. Hopefully, u can.

It is so frustrating to hear family doesn't support you.

WE WILL.

Ralph

Mamafirny, I just had gastric bypass on 5/28, and they had me walking that afternoon to prevent blood clots and to get the gas moving. I just walked up and down the hall very slowly a couple of times a day while in the hospital - which was just one night. Since I've been home, I've been able to walk at a leisurely pace for 30 to 40 minutes twice a day. I overextended my knee about a week before my gastric bypass, and my leg hurts more than my midsection! I do get tired easily, and I'm taking naps, which is unusual for me. I think you can get enough walking in during your kids' practices. Good luck!

Back