• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

First Timer From NC

Hello everybody! As you know, this is my very first post. I'm having surgery April 11th and I'm excited! I'm looking forward in sharing my journey with all of you. What do I have to look forward to post op as far do and don't?

Hello everybody! As you know, this is my very first post. I'm having surgery April 11th and I'm excited! I'm looking forward in sharing my journey with all of you. What do I have to look forward to post op as far do and don't?
Well, I haven't had surgery yet. Date not set. But...this little book they gave me (I've been studying what's left after the dog got to it) says something about dumping syndrome, the 30 20 30 rule and a whole list of things I cannot eat. (I'm gonna request a new book.) It gives me details about prep and post op days on the hospital. Very thorough. I might not have any questions left to ask when I see what's been chewed. Can you tell us what procedure you're having?

Welcome to the group, I had my surgery on December 22, the worst part of this whole experience is the two weeks before and after for me, once you get through that it is a breeze, there is not alot of pain afterwards I was expecting it, and now I can eat alot of things, I still don't eat many carbs, mostly just meat, but loving the person I'm becoming, good luck on your journey

I am having the Gastric Bypass surgery. It's been a long time coming. I was scheduled to have the surgery back in November but my insurance company (Aetna) informed me a week before the surgery that my policy didn't cover bariatric surgery even though they covered all the visits with the surgeon, dietitian and labs work pertaining to the surgery. I immediately dropped them when open enrollment started and subscribed to Blue Cross Blue Shield. Now I'm a week away from starting life after surgery!

I had a tracheostomy in October of 2015 and was on a liquid diet for almost 3 weeks. I have a feel for what it's going be like those 2 weeks after surgery.

Hello and welcome. I to am from NC... I had my surgery on Feb 14 this year.... The best thing I can advise don't push to eat before doc says your good... Cut meat into small bit size pieces, and no drinking before or 30 min after eating you will regret it..... Make sure you take your time and eat slowly... Im still working on that.... Damn military eating habits still got me and I have been out for some time.... Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice! I'm a retired police officer and I know all about slamming down food and getting back out on the field. I've been working on eating slower and taking time to chew. Some habits are hard to break.

Welcome! Glad you have an idea of what the liquid diet entails. That's been the hardest part for me so far. Tomorrow is 14 days post op and I still have 1 week of puréed foods left to go. Every doctor gives different instructions, though.
Good luck with your surgery next week!

My surgery went well but I had to stay in the hospital an extra day because of my kidneys. The combination of medications that I was on before surgery and the anesthesia that was given to me before and medications after surgery had an effect on my kidneys. Everything is well,the only issues I had and have slightly now is gas pains. The only issue I have now is trying to get my my daily recommended water and protein intake.

I'm happy to hear things went well! I hated the gas pains and I'm not entirely sure I'm done with them, but they are much better after day 3. The fluid intake is definitely hard, especially when you are used to chugging as much as you want. I hope things continue to go well for you!

My surgery went well but I had to stay in the hospital an extra day because of my kidneys. The combination of medications that I was on before surgery and the anesthesia that was given to me before and medications after surgery had an effect on my kidneys. Everything is well,the only issues I had and have slightly now is gas pains. The only issue I have now is trying to get my my daily recommended water and protein intake.
Once you are on a regular diet you will be fine, it's tough but I know you can do it, but for now, just keep sipping, get your self a little shot glass and pour you shake in that and sip away, it really does work, I used a little 2 oz cup to sip out

Back