• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

First Week to not lose any weight!!!

wsmith0914

I had surgery on December 9, have lost 30 pounds since starting the per surgery diet two weeks prior to surgery. But, this is the first week to not lose anything. Has this happened to anyone else? I am eating less than 1000 calories which is what I was told to eat, getting all my water and nutrients in and am eating an average of 70 grams of protein.

I had surgery on December 9, have lost 30 pounds since starting the per surgery diet two weeks prior to surgery. But, this is the first week to not lose anything. Has this happened to anyone else? I am eating less than 1000 calories which is what I was told to eat, getting all my water and nutrients in and am eating an average of 70 grams of protein.[/QUOTE

I think everyone hits a plateau in their weight eventually, just some hit it sooner and some later. The body thinks you are starving so it tries to slow down your metabolism. A body may stay the same weight for awhile but then drop several pounds at once. Just hang in there, you will lose weight again. :)

I had surgery on December 9, have lost 30 pounds since starting the per surgery diet two weeks prior to surgery. But, this is the first week to not lose anything. Has this happened to anyone else? I am eating less than 1000 calories which is what I was told to eat, getting all my water and nutrients in and am eating an average of 70 grams of protein.

Yes, I am in a plateau now. I haven't dropped a pound since December 20, 2013. It doesn't matter. I am down 50 pounds and I am enjoying so many medical benefits such as being off of all my blood pressure meds, off of my diabetic meds, reducing my heart meds, able to get around now without being winded, danced my brains out this past new years eve and watched 10 inches disappear from my waist. Weight is NOT the only measurement. I know the body will resume losing weight when it is ready.

It happens. Follow the program and don't worry. You must be feeling a whole lot better already as well having dropped 30 pounds. By the way just as an experiment go find something that weighs 30 pounds or so and try to lift it! This will help you realize how much stress you have taken off your entire body already.

Best wishes,

Ralph

I am 3 weeks out from a gastric sleeve surgery and only down 11.4 pounds and very discouraged because I am doing everything by the book. My husband had the same procedure 7 weeks ago and not following the program and he is down 55 pounds. I track/log fluid, calories, protein, exercise so I do not get it! I have done better in 3 weeks following weight watchers and eating. I have made an appointment with the dietitian and a support group. I feel so let down not at all what I had anticipated just not sure what I am doing wrong. I feel like my body does not want to get rid of the fat and is fighting me :(.

I am 3 weeks out from a gastric sleeve surgery and only down 11.4 pounds and very discouraged because I am doing everything by the book. My husband had the same procedure 7 weeks ago and not following the program and he is down 55 pounds. I track/log fluid, calories, protein, exercise so I do not get it! I have done better in 3 weeks following weight watchers and eating. I have made an appointment with the dietitian and a support group. I feel so let down not at all what I had anticipated just not sure what I am doing wrong. I feel like my body does not want to get rid of the fat and is fighting me :(.

Everyone's experience is different. You will do fine. You are doing the right thing by visiting the dietician and joining the support group. The weight will come off.

However, I am more concerned about what you are saying about your husband not following the program. The quidelines are there to help lose weight but also to allow for proper healing. We don't want leaks or tears to happen. We do not want ulcers. We do want to follow the phases of food from week 1 to week 4 especially and ultimately out to month 3 or 4 to assure proper healing.

Right now, I dropped 50 pounds quickly. However, I am in a weight plateau for the last 3 weeks. It will end. Weight will continue to come off.

In the meantime as I have said many time now in this forum I am off of my Blood Pressure meds completely, off of my diabetic meds completely and just reduced my heart meds to 1/2 dose while maintaining good blood pressure readings, good blood sugar readings and an acceptable pulse rate.

Ralph

Please don't be discouraged. By my calculations you are losing almost 2 pounds a week, which is excellent considering the hospital water weight gain. It took awhile for my body to catch up with the program.
And you know you can't compare yourself to a man! My husband used to quit Pepsi's and lose 20 pounds! That never happened to me!

Thanks Ralph! I do have to change my outlook. I met with the dietician and showed her my food/fluid log and activity log. She said I am doing everything right and I also need to consider my age and the role of hormones. I am going to the support group meeting tomorrow and I saw my PCP yesterday my B/P has been great since the day of surgery so I have not had to take my meds since the day before surgery. I am concerned about my husband too, I just keep encouraging him to stay on track but we have to be accountable for our own actions. He is going to the support group meeting with me :).

Thanks Karenina! You know you are correct I know not to compare weight loss to a man but it is hard not too. Doing better with the information from the forum and the healthcare professionals.

Thanks Ralph! I do have to change my outlook. I met with the dietician and showed her my food/fluid log and activity log. She said I am doing everything right and I also need to consider my age and the role of hormones. I am going to the support group meeting tomorrow and I saw my PCP yesterday my B/P has been great since the day of surgery so I have not had to take my meds since the day before surgery. I am concerned about my husband too, I just keep encouraging him to stay on track but we have to be accountable for our own actions. He is going to the support group meeting with me :).

Good work.

Right now, believe it or not I have gained 6 pounds in the past 2 to 3 weeks, while maintaining a diet that is 1200 calories or less and getting all the protein I need. I am also suffering right now from a pretty good winter cold. I know when the body gets sick it tends to hold on to water for awhile. I also stopped my diuretic about 2 weeks ago. So the body is also adjusting to that.

The third thing is there hasn't been much exercise in my life since I am stuck inside, sick and the weather outside is not cooperating at all right now.

It will all pass. I do my best. I follow my program.

Ralph

Back