• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Fitness and exercise question.....

jduffy

Hi, I'm here to ask one important question. Is there anyone who has had surgery who is in a wheelchair? If so I'd really appreciate talking to you.
jduffy

hi, I've worked for ten yrs to stay out of a wheel chair. I am, however, now basically bed ridden and use a walking cart when I am up. I, too, am wondering about exercise. I'm hoping with some weight loss, i'll be able to be up and around more. I was diagnosed with ms for 11 yrs., then that diagnosis was withdrawn even though they have no other diagnosis for the scars in my brain. I also have severe fibromyalgia which I hope will be helped with an additional diagnosis of sleep apnea. I am having roux-en y in the hope of being free of diabetes and high blood pressure as well as losing 110 pounds.

I live in Alaska so being outside is almost impossible as far as walking. my hubby cleans the back deck of snow and i can use my walker there to walk round and round in a nice circle. of course, I have to bundle up against the cold but think it will be worth it after the surgery.

your wheelchair will give you a chance to be very creative. blessings to you as you seek out solutions.

I can offer some suggestions on an exercise program I used with my wheel chair and mobility restricted patients...

My group loved when we would do Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies, the original tape. The majority of the stretches, flexibility movements and many other exercises I adapted for wheel chair and mobility challenged clients..

The music is great, Richard Simmons can light anyone up and the fact it is fun helped a lot.

Back