• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Flabby Arms

msrci

Hey Everybody!!! I'm new here, just found this site today. I had Gastric Sleeve surgery on October 15,2012 and I've been fairly successful. My starting weight was 254 lbs and I'm now at 190 lbs. I go to the gym and work out Monday through Friday alternating my workouts.

My upper arms have always been rather large and since the surgery they're smaller, but jiggly even though I focus on them two to three times a week during my workouts. I have good definition in my biceps (front upper part of my arms), but my triceps (back upper arms) look awful! The skin in that area is loose and flabby.

My question to you is: Is arm lift surgery my only option or is there something else that I can do? Has anyone else had this problem and solved it with just exercise? Maybe I'm not doing the right exercises? Please help!

Hi,

My doctor asks that you wait around two years after reaching goal before deciding on plastic surgery corrections. What you need to remember is that you are dealing with two types of tissue, muscle and skin. Muscle can be strengthened and defined while skin loses elasticity as we age and for other reasons like weight loss. My doctor feels that some elasticity will return after weight loss but if it doesn't surgery may be desired. At my age I will just cover up my arms. I would only consider surgery for health reasons but I can understand why younger people might think differently.

I understand that the ability to have skin "snap back" is genetic. But working out couldn't hurt, and may give you some cosmetic relief.

I'm with you on the flabby arms, but I'm having surgery on my tummy in October, then my breast in February and then I will schedule my arm lift, I can't wait

Congratulations! I will try to hold out until next year for the arm lift, maybe by then I will see some changes and may not need it....fingers crossed.

Congratulations! I will try to hold out until next year for the arm lift, maybe by then I will see some changes and may not need it....fingers crossed.

Good luck!!! I've been having flabby arms for at least 10 years. I'm still relatively young (34), but I'm discouraged also that all my tri-cep exercises seem not to be working.

Back