• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

food getting stuck...help

Hello, I am 1 month post op. My surgeon gave me the green light to start eating "regular" food this week. I've been doing really well. I have tried some of my favorites again without any problems...except for today. I had a few bites of stew made with pork meat and I guess I didn't chew the meat well enough because it felt like it was stuck in my throat. I could not swallow. And then water and foam started coming up. I did not really vomit, but I truly wanted/needed to. I tried to get it out of my system. I was beginning to panic. I told my husband that I didn't want to have to go to the ER because I didn't know how to chew my food. I finally feel a little better, but I'm still scared. What do you do when this happens? Do you just wait for it to pass? I tried to take a sip of water but even that would not go down. Any advise and feedback will be greatly appreciated. I don't want to be afraid to eat.
thanks, Kathy:confused:

Hi Kathy.. Im 3 1/2 months post op. I have been doing really good but have had food stuck in my throat as you described a couple times. It has happened when I have taken too big of a bite and forgot to chew well because something distracted me. I will throw up when this happens with lots of saliva and foam. Not fun at all but it does remind me to eat very slowly and chew meat thoroughly. Best of Luck.. Cheyenne

Everyone is different but it happens. I would stay away from pork for now. It happened to me the first time I tried bread. It is usually form eating to fast and not chewing. What worked for me when it happened, lean back and breathe deep, try to relax. Don't drink water, it makes it worse, and I know that is the first thing you want to do. It usually passes in 5-10 minutes. If you can, walk, it gets things moving. I also sometimes divide the food on my plate into quarters or halves to remind me to slow down. I think all of us have had it happen once or twice. Don't worry. It will happen less and less.

with me, it doesn't necessarily mean I didn't chew right. Sometimes its just something that did not agree. For me it was usually veggies that did it. Also if I have ONE bite too many, I will get that feeling. Sometimes I will throw up, Sometimes I will just be in pain or discomfort for a few hours. I am 6 weeks post op. I think its just part of life now. Especially when we have food we enjoy, and push it!

It happens

For me it was chicken. I'm at an advantage because this is my second time around. I had a revision so I know exactly what I can can can not do. I will say chewing well and slowly are big keys and smaller bites. Be patient and it will get better.

I am only 3 weeks post op, but have had issues with meat. My nutritionist said to stick to chicken and turkey, and deli sliced or thin not a chicken breast. This has helped me a lot. I just stick to what they say and eat real slow, cause if you have more food already headed to your stomach when that full pain hits, it's horrible. I walk when I get that uncomfortable feeling. It's usually because I still can't believe how little it takes to fill me up, but I just start walking and don't stop till I feel better and it really helps!!

If you can, you might try relaxing in a warm bath. I wouldn't try any "dense" meats right now, stick with ground beef.

Back