• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Forgiving Myself

WazzuCoug

This path post surgery isn't a cakewalk, is it? Many of us have demons to excise and there are so many emotions to deal with before and after the surgery.

I see so many posts in FB groups and support forums about how poorly people think they are doing. Someone on a FB group recently posted how upset they were because they "only" lost 50 lbs in the first four months and EVERYBODY was losing more than that. Instead of celebrating they were 50 lbs lighter, they were stressing themselves by comparing their path with other people. Every day there posts on many forums asking what's the "average" amount of weight that should be lost per month, or this stall or that stall, or complaints about things not going fast enough. The posts seem to come from a perspective that the person posting seems to be saying, "I'm not good enough and I'm going to fail." or "I'm not doing this right, I still suck at this."

My head goes there sometimes too, when things aren't going the way I want.

Then I started thinking about why I might get frustrated sometimes.

For me, I think I have to forgive myself for becoming obese in the first place. I've had to let that go, which is easier said than done, of course.

I wasn't obese for the first 22 years of my life. I started down the obesity path after leaving the Marine Corps and going to college. Then, the weight piled on until reached my peak at 50. Almost three decades of weight gain, diet failures, regain, and health issues piling on year after year. There is regret, shame, frustration, stress, and of course I blame myself for really bad choices made along the way. Over time, the weight gain became a disease that made it practically impossible to lose weight and keep it off. I did do that to myself. I didn't have a known genetic or medical issue that caused me to gain weight. For me, it was solely poor eating. Others may have a different story.

However, that experience of the past tends to make me paranoid about the present and future and whether I will succeed or fail at post-surgery life. Am I just going to repeat the same old patterns of my old self?

I did a significant amount of damage to my body over that time, but yet, I have to forgive myself. If I try to be successful at this post-surgery life, still blaming myself for why I ended up needing surgery, I am sure I won't be successful for the long term.

Instead of comparing my progress to others, I'm going to celebrate others' successes, even if I'm not making progress. I'm going to celebrate my success in comparison to only where I was, not what others experience.

I think to be truly happy and successful for the rest of my life, I believe I have to forgive myself for all of those poor choices of the past, whether they were directly related to weight gain or not. It's time to let them go and use this surgery as a true life reboot.

Although the scale is going to be a part of this journey no matter what, I think we need to step away from it as much as possible and do not compare your "success" to others. Focus on the non-scale victories and concentrate on establishing good eating habits while the benefits of the surgery are at its greatest effect (aka, the honeymoon).

Trying to determine where you should be as far as actual weight loss goes is a no-win game that usually just frustrates people. It never seems to go fast enough, even if you are a "fast loser" or a "slow loser." When we see others losing more, we tend to start overthinking what we are doing and wonder if we are doing something wrong. It can drive a person crazy. These comparisons lead to frustration, stress, anxiety and all of those things lead to the potential to get on the same rollercoaster of up and down weight that we got this surgery to end in the first place. The feelings start to snowball and we start scouring the internet looking for answers or justification, or to try to find other people who are doing poorly too or to find people who will give us the secret key to success. We already have the key. We just need to have the confidence in ourselves to use it properly.

I sought out counselling because for much of my life I would ruminate over past poor choices. I would keep reliving the past failures (or at least what I saw as failure). Counseling helped a great deal. It took some time after that to get to a point where I could realize that I had to let go of the self blame for my weight gain. I had to forgive myself.

My weight gain became a disease that is so difficult to battle, but I made a good choice to have this surgery. I made a good choice to forgive myself. I made a good choice to follow the instructions for post-surgery eating. I made a good choice by not comparing myself to others. There will be poor choices along the way, that's life. Poor choices should be an avenue to learning, not self flagellation.

I'm moving forward toward success. I'll seek help when I'm struggling, and I'll learn from poor choices. I'm going to follow the recommendations of my bariatric team and make good food choices and exercise. This is all I can do. I can't directly control how fast my body loses fat. I can only control my conscious choices to do the right thing. I can't change the past, but I can influence my future.

Your journey is probably different from mine. Your struggles may be different from mine, but I also suspect there are others out there who are also dealing with self doubt, anxiety, worry and self-defrication.

I forgive myself. If any of this rings true for you, forgive yourself. Consider counseling if you don't think you can forgive yourself. You really can move on, but you may need to let go of some things first. If you didn't take care of issues pre-surgery, now is the time.

If my experience doesn't match up to yours, consider your own story and how you might maximize your success after surgery. What do you need to do to be really successful and be healthy for the rest of your life? What actions do you need to take for self care and support? Do those things.

I can be successful in this journey, and so can you.

Last edited:
Thank you! I didn't realize that I needed to forgive myself for getting in this situation, but it exactly fits the narrative of the last two years. My knee started affecting my life and I had to come to grips with the fact that I was fat and old. I was basically in mourning for the life I lost of being young and mobile. The "youngsters" looked at me on my scooter with pity and probably judgement and I blamed myself. Your essay on forgiving yourself just crystallized that I need to work on this to move forward. I have been hopeful that surgery will bring back "life" to my life, but letting go of the shame I felt (feel) is the real key to moving forward. Thank you again, Ryan for your insight, And you're a former Marine! The men in my family were also in the Corps. Thank you for your service.

Last edited:
You have hit the nail on the head. I was always a little overweight, but played soccer and was on the track team. Summers were hard outdoor work. My weight would rise over the winter, but come back down when track started. College saw the "normal" freshman 15, then the weight just kept rising very slowly at first, but it was 10 up, 5-7 down then 15 up and 7-10 down until I was afraid I would hit 250#. I blew by that 25 years ago and no longer could do some of the things with my sons (though I did more than I thought) as my job required more desk time and many more hours, the weight zoomed past 300# and I started with a personal trainer. He helped me stop the weight growth and the weight started to fall, but about the time I got down to 325 (from a high of 340), my knees started to go. I had to stop the training sessions, and the weight zoomed up to 350# where it stabilized for about 3 years. I retired and tried to get more active, but the knees wouldn't let me do too much and the weight got up to 360#. A knee replacement allowed me start walking more, but the other knee wouldn't last and the weight began to creep up again. A second knee surgery took a while to recover, but set me on the right path. At 368#, my GP pushed again for surgery and for me to return to the nutritionist. 5 months later, I was approved for the RNY bypass. The surgery went well, and I was supported by my family (well, one of my sons was saying that I should just eat less and exercise more :rolleyes:). 3 months out and I was walking 1-2 miles at a time and doing it 1-3 times a day. The walking was beneficial in two ways. 1) I was burning a lot of calories, and I wasn't around food! My sisters convinced me to join in the weekly Fitbit challenge which was just another incentive to "get off my ass and move"! Now I have a goal for the year to hit 2020 miles during this f***ked-up year. I have set more goals for activity for next year which should keep me in shape (other than the "round" shape that I seemed to live in for the past 30+ years).

The physical part of the transition was relatively easy. Having the WLS was an important tool that made the weight loss plan work. The mental part isn't easy at all. I want certain foods. I want to eat more. I want, I want, I want. I think it was Diane who called it her "Fat Brain". I have one. Right now, I have it in check and the walking helps keep it at bay. When I am hungry and drive past a fast food joint, I have to fight to keep from stopping. It was this fat brain that caused my weight to climb past where I could control it. I will fight those urges for the rest of my life, but I no longer place blame on me for the weight. I forgave me, and part of forgiveness is not losing control again. I have bad days, I have what weight watchers calls cheat days, but I am aware of them, I exercise more when they occur, and if it gets too bad, my gut rebels and I am feeling awful for a day or so (my youngest son reminds me of how I felt the last time I ate too much, or didn't go for a walk).

Forgive the past, but don't forget how you got here.

Man did I ever need to see this post. I am at a really low point today and this post hit the nail on the head. I am currently going through the steps to have bariatric surgery. Next week I have what I hope is the last step before my surgery. What you described is the very thing I am struggling the most with. I am so angry with myself for getting to the point I am and I do not like the person I see in the mirror. I need to find a way to get past that and love myself again in a way that keeps me motivated and working hard to respect the man in the mirror again.

Man did I ever need to see this post. I am at a really low point today and this post hit the nail on the head. I am currently going through the steps to have bariatric surgery. Next week I have what I hope is the last step before my surgery. What you described is the very thing I am struggling the most with. I am so angry with myself for getting to the point I am and I do not like the person I see in the mirror. I need to find a way to get past that and love myself again in a way that keeps me motivated and working hard to respect the man in the mirror again.

You made the decision, and that is a victory. It wasn't a bad decision. Now you can start a string of good decisions one after the other. There will be bumps in the road, you you can totally do this. Let go of everything that has happened prior to this time. The surgery will be a great boost and an opportunity to start a great new path!

Back